100% Crash Falkreath Hold

Slinkusss

Someone mentioned earlier they think it was a LOD issue causing a crash for some people.

That's pretty much what was happening in my case.

I defaulted back to normal Ultra settings and have yet to reproduce the crash. I was previously using quite high values for LoDs.

I won't be returning to the game until Frostfall is updated, so until then I'll be sporadically updating and installing new mods and if I fancy it, testing for more crashes. I'll come to the conclusion on which settings were causing the crash during that time; but until then..

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<- dude who disabled 'Populated...' mods and fixed the issue.

So my game started to CTD again every time I try to quick travel to Falkreath, and I've already disabled Populated's.

The CTD's still happens even after I've disabled all my mods. Then I read the above post.

I checked my processors and CPU was working at a pretty low percentage, so issue's not there. Then I checked the remaining space in my hard disk.

1.86 GB.

Deleted some stuff in my computer, freed up space until I have 18 GB of free space, and then tried to run Skyrim again, with all mods on but Populated's. Voila. Worked like a charm. Proceeded to continue slaying dragons.

So I'm assuming there's just something about Falkreath that makes the computer work harder, for some reason. Just be wary of mods that add in even more workload to the computer and Falkreath should remain CTD free.

• 2 weeks later...

I got similar problem not only in Falkreath also Markath this happens to me again today in Bhtardamz inside zone when i was trying to travel between inside dwemer ruins zones. I checked my logs and it's this same thing again like in Falkreath CDT. I do these same and it works again for me so in my opinion problem is not in mods but in WEATHER in those west districts some kind of it is buggy and cause CTD when you trying to enter zone with it. Solution is simple:

Wait few hours under "T" command till weather change and you can travel again w/o CTD.

Works for me every time this damn thing happend. Sorry for my ponglish.

Hey people, I've got a crash just like this around Nightgate Inn, and after trying a load of solutions, I managed to narrow it down a bit: in my case, renaming "meshes" folder eliminated the crash, so it seems there's a corrupted mesh or something of the sort that's giving me trouble. Going to try to find which one.

E: Got it. It's the architecture/farmhouse meshes added by Static Mesh Improvement Mod. Time for a re-install...

Thanks this got it to work

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone. I am experiencing a crash in Falkreath (obviously), and it occurs on new and old saves. I messed around with renaming folders in the Data folder, and determined that my crash seems to be texture related. I have further narrowed it to my X\Data\textures\actors\character folder. I believe it may be related to 3 folders.

actors\character\male

actors\character\female

cause my game to crash during a game load, or shortly after

actors\character\hair (related to Apachii skyhair)

causes it to crash within about 10 steps after loading.

I have the game saved in the middle of Falkreath, during the day. I have a level 41 character.

My skyrim is modded (about 120 mods), and I have quite a bit of mods installed. I believe all the items have the correct load order, as determined by BOSS, however I may be wrong because I am pretty inexperienced with this. I also haven't cleaned any mods with TESEdit yet, though boss says a couple mods have dirty edits.

Anyway, if anyone has any advice or experience on this, I'd love to hear it. I also tried ThePopeKYA's fix by making a DEP exception.

• 2 months later...

Add me to the list. Once I approach North Shriekwind Bastion and the area is marked as discovered I get a CTD. I tried the DEP suggestion and it didn't work. Turned down my graphics and deleted a mod or two and it didn't work. I just have a laptop, not the greatest, but I CAN run Skyrim on it, even with 90+ mods. This can't be memory related when my game runs decent all prior to approaching NSB.

I'm certain this won't apply to everyone... Skyrim has a bug which causes CTD's due to a memory allocation issue. SSME or SKSE Alpha 1.7.0 will fix that particular bug. If nothing else has worked, one of these might. Only need one or the other.

Only read over a couple pages here (its an old thread), but didn't see mention of this solution.

Edited by Lord Garon

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone. I am experiencing a crash in Falkreath (obviously), and it occurs on new and old saves. I messed around with renaming folders in the Data folder, and determined that my crash seems to be texture related. I have further narrowed it to my X\Data\textures\actors\character folder. I believe it may be related to 3 folders.

actors\character\male

actors\character\female

cause my game to crash during a game load, or shortly after

actors\character\hair (related to Apachii skyhair)

causes it to crash within about 10 steps after loading.

I have the game saved in the middle of Falkreath, during the day. I have a level 41 character.

My skyrim is modded (about 120 mods), and I have quite a bit of mods installed. I believe all the items have the correct load order, as determined by BOSS, however I may be wrong because I am pretty inexperienced with this. I also haven't cleaned any mods with TESEdit yet, though boss says a couple mods have dirty edits.

Anyway, if anyone has any advice or experience on this, I'd love to hear it. I also tried ThePopeKYA's fix by making a DEP exception.

I really am just starting to think that it's just something about that area. I started played Skyrim on day one, and ever since that first encounter, over the years, with constantly changing mod lists, compatibility tools, memory patches, it doesn't matter - I still crash in Falkreath more than the rest of the game area COMBINED, specifically the areas surrounding both North and South Shriekwind Bastion and its interior. South Shriekwind Bastion is the worst part, in the area just outside the entrance to the interior cells. I have been avidly avoiding that area since probably about a few months after Skyrim was released. Every now and then when my load order is completely changed and I have new .ini settings, enb's, memory and/or parallax patchers, etc. I cautiously give the area just one more try, and its always the same thing! While the crashes are in no means 100%, all I need to do is hang around the entrance to South Shriekwind Bastion for a few minutes, maybe trying to kill the draugr out on the ledges or looting some of the hidden chest, and pretty much without fail I will eventually suffer a seemingly completely random CTD. I just "coc" into the interior now when I want to finish the Elemental Weapon shout...

Since the only way I keep Skyrim interesting is to wipe my mod list and rebuild it from scratch with every new play through, I think I can probably say with the utmost certainty that no single mod has been present the entire time. I don't even use the same graphical mods, so corrupted meshes wouldn't be the cause either... And it can't be an LOD issue - I like to stand on top of the Throat of the World with uGridsToLoad pushed up INSANELY high, and custom full LOD replacers and just admire the 100% unobstructed view...