Where do you get Update.esm?

finndo77

Completed the full installation via the PC DVD, then added it to Steam, it has since updated via steam, and I also enabled the beta downloads (to increase the maximum number of workshop mods). I played for 60 hours without mods, now I cannot get the game to launch with any mods or no mods. I was reading the description of one mod and it said "If the game crashes on load, you need to make sure update.esm is checked" so I went to check just that one and I don't have it, I went to the steam install DIR and it is not in there. I used the steam app to verify the local cache or files or whatever, and it said 1 file failed the check and would be downloaded. I went back and checked the DIR and there is still no update.esm.

The game launches to the "continue" "new" "load" "exit" screen, with music, but no matter what you choose it just freezes. I tried un-checking all mods, set video to low, still no go.

I am not using the NMM, and have no idea what that is. I tried downloading the beta for skse and it launches the game, but no menu appears, if I click where the menu is supposed to be I get the confirmation pane (enter/tab option) but ONLY "ENTER" and "TAB" shows up, nothing else appears on the screen. if I click or press enter it freezes just like if I did not use skse (note the cursor appears fine under all circumstances). The only thing I can do is end task the process and try again. I tried setting the game in windowed mode and it makes the menu options appear again, but still crashes at the same point and the same way.

I am about to delete everything and reinstall. (as a note, I did just that on my laptop, using the Steam downloader to install skyrim in stead of the DVD, and I am having the same issues, and still no update.esm)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to reply to myself; however this is more of an update than trying to bump...

So I started messing around with dotnet on my system, and reinstalled 2/3/3.5 now the game loads again and is playable. still no update.esm however.

Somehow my dotnet install got corrupt and broke the game, hope that helps someone one day even though it was not the topic of this thread.

Still no update.esm file however. Nothing on the install DVD that says anything about updates either.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Where can i get the update.esm? i have wrye but just cant find update.esm on my comp. is there a place where i can dl it?

I'm having the same problem, can anyone Please help???

• 3 weeks later...

I hate to reply to myself; however this is more of an update than trying to bump...

So I started messing around with dotnet on my system, and reinstalled 2/3/3.5 now the game loads again and is playable. still no update.esm however.

Somehow my dotnet install got corrupt and broke the game, hope that helps someone one day even though it was not the topic of this thread.

Still no update.esm file however. Nothing on the install DVD that says anything about updates either.

I have the update.esm but wyrebash tells me it's dirty. If I deselect the esm in the NMM or Wyre Bash my game loads just fine with no problems but the .esm file automaticaly enables it's self so as soon as I move into a different zone my game just freezes up again. Is there no way to disable the update.esm and do I need the update.esm? (I am assuming this update.esm is the lates updates from steam for the skyrim game. Is that correct)?

I have the update.esm but wyrebash tells me it's dirty. If I deselect the esm in the NMM or Wyre Bash my game loads just fine with no problems but the .esm file automaticaly enables it's self so as soon as I move into a different zone my game just freezes up again. Is there no way to disable the update.esm and do I need the update.esm? (I am assuming this update.esm is the lates updates from steam for the skyrim game. Is that correct)?

The corrupted (dirty) update.esm is a known issue with Wrye Bash 295. Updating Bash will fix that problem.

• 2 weeks later...