[IMPORTANT] Load Order and You

wrinklyninja

How about "ordered list" as the name. It points out the need for a list file and simultaneously implies that the list must be ordered to be functional.

At first thought, this means that modders will need to provide their beta testers with a loadorder.txt file or be prepared for some unexpected errors being reported. I'm a new member of the BTA Guild at TESA, so this adds one more challenge to doing a good job for our client modders.

BTW, thanks Winklyninja for your work on this and the helpful explication/explanation.

OldGrizz

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At first thought, this means that modders will need to provide their beta testers with a loadorder.txt file or be prepared for some unexpected errors being reported. I'm a new member of the BTA Guild at TESA, so this adds one more challenge to doing a good job for our client modders.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. You don't need to change your behaviour: just be aware that modding utilities may have no effect when you try to set load order with them until they are updated.

If you're thinking that the loadorder.txt distribution is necessary so that beta testers know where to load their mod, then that's not the case. Modders should just continue giving instructions on where to place plugins and leave the actual placing to users, like how is done ATM.

Well, it's gone live ... incidentally it appears to have loose files overriding BSAs again ...

So, where can I get the latest test versions of you chaps' code?

Are you a programmer wanting to use the BOSS API to handle the load order access/modifier functionality of a utility you're writing?

If not, I'm afraid I don't hand out code unless it's for beta testing, and I already have enough beta testers for the next version.

If you really want the latest (uploaded) code, you can checkout the SVN and build your own executables/DLLs.

Sorry to ask that but I am a little confused after reading all the thread, maybe my English isn't that good...

The only tool I am using for launching the game is the NMM and I often change/ install new mods manually, all without the automatic installation function of the NMM.

When I have done changes I re-order the ESMs/ ESPs in the load list to my personal preference.

So this is my question: Will that load oder be ignored or is ist the order in which the files will be loaded?

Sorry to ask that but I am a little confused after reading all the thread, maybe my English isn't that good...

The only tool I am using for launching the game is the NMM and I often change/ install new mods manually, all without the automatic installation function of the NMM.

When I have done changes I re-order the ESMs/ ESPs in the load list to my personal preference.

So this is my question: Will that load oder be ignored or is ist the order in which the files will be loaded?

The most fool-proof way to set your load order is to use the new Bethesda tool.

You can use BOSS or NMM or Wrye to set the order - but these are now ignored by Skyrim - so you should then manually set the correct order using the Launcher 'Data Files' tool and set the order to replicate whatever you have in your Mod Manager.

You could export your mod list and then manually modify the file to be in the correct format for plugins.txt

As a user of all this fantastic stuff with which you guys make these games gems I am confused. Since the last update I had a problem with the mod Aela Facelift, it wasn't working anymore (no face change). I thought its because of the new method used for the load order. But obviously its not. In the file plugins.txt in my application data folder it still IS the last esp (like before), but it has no effect. Maybe they changed something else too ... ? [sorry for my bad english] Edited by abkopp

I've also just noticed that BOSS tends to change the capitalization of some of the esp names and this causes a problem with Data Files part of Skyrim Launcher as plugins.txt is case sensitive so you need to make sure the esp names in plugins.txt match the names of the esp files exactly and then the Skyrim Launcher will load them all properly. Example:

The double fall damage plugin from Wars In Skyrim. BOSS lists this plugin as WiS IV - Double fall damage.esp. The actual filename of the esp is WiS IV - Double Fall Damage.esp, which is what it needs to be listed as in plugins.txt or the launcher will not register it and will put it at the end of the load order. Just an observation.

Edited by deadmccoy

I've also just noticed that BOSS tends to change the capitalization of some of the esp names and this causes a problem with Data Files part of Skyrim Launcher as plugins.txt is case sensitive so you need to make sure the esp names in plugins.txt match the names of the esp files exactly and then the Skyrim Launcher will load them all properly. Example:

The double fall damage plugin from Wars In Skyrim. BOSS lists this plugin as WiS IV - Double fall damage.esp. The actual filename of the esp is WiS IV - Double Fall Damage.esp, which is what it needs to be listed as in plugins.txt or the launcher will not register it and will put it at the end of the load order. Just an observation.

To clarify, BOSS isn't renaming any files. It just displays them with different cases in the BOSS Log.

Such case differences should be reported on the relevant BOSS threads.

EDIT: I've had an independent report that the plugins.txt is case-insensitive for Skyrim, as it was in Oblivion.

Edited by wrinklyninja