• Please log in to reply
6207 replies to this topic

xlcr

xlcr

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 768 posts
hello migal130, i just wanted to say thank you for taking time to provide such a clear explanation of the scripting mechanics going on including what you suspect is NPC follower AI issues using 'Followers Can Relax' and your wonderful 'BBorB Luxury Suite'.
I was impressed with what i was able to experience in the suite; so, the other mod will be disabled in favor of yours. (initially didn't spot your warning (Incompatibility) about Followers Can Relax on the Description page unfortunately).
fyi, my fear of ESM mods is probably unfounded and not applicable to Skyrim.. i guess its something i stayed away from w/TEV4 Oblivion and the way some ESM's permanently changed the worldspace/savegames. thank you again, you're great!

Edited by xlcr, 23 March 2012 - 09:54 PM.

expired6978

expired6978

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 2,965 posts
@migal130
I noticed you made a few comments regarding followers can relax, I apologize if any causes of my follower mod "Increased Follower Limit" has led anyone here as it does edit a fairly core piece of the game. You're definitely right about people not editing vanilla quests. I did it at first to test, which worked, my follower mod has worked since the first version, but its when people have mods that mod the same things where it goes sour. I took a few measures to separate the new from the old, particularly by renaming any vanilla quest script (Modifying the vanilla quests is okay as long as you make sure you don't use the same script) I've learned a lot about Payprus writing my mod, I was pretty comfortable with it even before then but its taught me just how bad it is at dealing with lost aliases and updating scripts/variables when a savegame already exists.

Some of the things to I learned to remember when scripting:
-Use new quests, don't edit old ones (It may be more work to "connect" if you really need to use that quest, but it will be better in the long run)
-If you need to edit vanilla dialogue, rename the script with a prefix "XXX_TIF__formid"
-If you need to update a variable in an already running script, rename the variable, it will invalidate the old variable and initialize the new, instead of taking the old value from your save causing runtime errors if the type has changed or it no longer points to an object with a particular function
-Don't assume your mod will work on game versions lower than 1.3, As I learned there were likely Papyrus language changes after 1.1, so Quest scripts would not run correctly as the base type Quest was either not named that, or did not exist.

They really need a sort of version control in plugins that can be flagged to tell the script engine to throw out all loaded script stacks regarding the mod when the particular version is loaded for the first time so the mod will function as intended rather than loading outdated scripts from your save and struggle with invalid or missing variables. Often times I don't want the game to run the script even if its changed, I want it to stop what its doing, bail out, and run the script from the beginning, but I don't have that option.

Edited by expired6978, 23 March 2012 - 10:34 PM.

jeyes1957

jeyes1957

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
it messed with some of the ones i edited such as lydia, mjoll, the lady blacksmith next to breezehome, the redguard woman at the thieves guild and every female maniquin but it didn't mess with vex, the 3 women at the companions guild and the young woman near the front gate in markarth. so it only messed with half, i just can't figure it out. i.m going to try to edit all of these again and see if it fixes but the maniquins i'm stuck with, it didn't mess with main character,

Tikky

Tikky

Mostly Sunny

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 886 posts

I noticed you made a few comments regarding followers can relax, I apologize if any causes of my follower mod "Increased Follower Limit" has led anyone here as it does edit a fairly core piece of the game.

I've been using most of your mods since day one, before the CK. Never had a problem with any of them. I did miss version 2.02 lol but I see you corrected that almost immediately.( "Increased Follower Limit" ) fantastic plug-in, thank you for this.

Miagal, I noticed you're partial to UPN, and frankly who could blame you, those are some really nice bodies.*drool* the next time you're brainstorming and possibly have thoughts of (CBBE) for some type of exotic plug-in lol please, don't hesitate to implement.

Time to get back to the luxury suite, and mingle with the ladies. :biggrin:

migal130

migal130

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
@jeyes1957,

If I'm reading what you wrote correctly, you have edited some of the game's NPCs, they are getting a head/body mismatch, and you think my mod, which does not touch those NPCs, is causing it?

Maybe I misunderstood what is happening. But, if I didn't, think about what is being stated there, from a cause and effect standpoint. Lex parsimoniae. Occam's Razor.

==============================================================

I want to be clear about something. Mods like Followers Can Relax and NPC Clothing Maintainer are good mods, made by great community contributors. We are brothers in code, so to speak. But, the way this game works is, you can't always run every possible mod. Some mods attempt to manipulate the same resources, or manipulate resources other mods use. This is just the nature of modding. It does not mean one mod is good or another mod is bad. It just means you have to make a choice between mods, or figure out a way to get them to play nice together.

NPC Clothing Maintainer will probably always break the Luxury Suite's pool and bed effects. But, using the mods together shouldn't crash the game. If you can live with that, then you don't have to choose between the two. Followers Can Relax is a useful mod, but because of what it tries to accomplish and the way it is being done, one must use it wisely. Remember, it changes a vanilla quest and vanilla behavior. That is its entire purpose. Its purpose is not location specific, so its purpose is going to exist whether or not the Luxury Suite (or any other abode mod) is installed. Making the mistake of leaving a bunch of followers sandboxing somewhere and then uninstalling the mod or upgrading an NPC (such as a Suite NPC) while Followers Can Relax was controlling that NPC has nothing to do with any mod other than Followers Can Relax. And heck, I never even looked at his mod. My wife used it a couple weeks ago, but doesn't use it now. For all I know, he may have adjusted his mod to avoid such traps.

======================================================

CBBE vs. UNP.

This isn't the place for a discussion as to which is better. And I don't mean this thread, I mean this web site. The Nexus mods will drop the hammer on us so fast it won't be funny. So, I will only say this. I like UNP, because I personally feel it looks more like a real woman. CherryHotaling's body mod looks more like a cartoon. CBBE falls somewhere in between. Different strokes for different folks. I'm just glad Dimon, Caliente and Cherry took the time to share their work so we aren't left looking at funky-shaped Barbie dolls.

I will say this about CBBE. In my humble opinion, what MAK07 has done with the lower body is such a radical improvement, I would like to see what it is like in my game. I still think UNP looks more real, but things don't have to look real to look good. This guy blew past me on the adult top 100 list and I don't care. He deserves the credit he is getting.

http://skyrim.nexusm...le.php?id=13004

The reason I have a UNP specific clothing option add-on is not because I prefer UNP over anything else. It is because the outfit maker (Motseer) volunteered to let me include it. I'd be dumb to turn him down. It's a cool option for UNP users. If some CBBE armor maker shows up and volunteers to have me include their cool outfit, I'll likely be doing that as well.

======================================================

@expired6978,
To be honest, I don't think your increased followers mod conflicts with my mod in any way. Maybe something could go wrong if you had a bunch of Suite girls following at the same time and then uninstalled your mod or I upgraded the Suite girls and altered a reference (something I probably will not do going forward), but that is going to happen with any followers, not just the Suite girls.

Edited by migal130, 24 March 2012 - 12:29 AM.

expired6978

expired6978

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 2,965 posts
Trudy is my favorite of the bathing beauties so I decided I would make her her own tint mask. I didn't add any special face paints or anything, just a beauty mark, lipstick, and eyeliner. For some reason the spot I put her beauty mark in just seemed to fit for me, might ruin it for others but here it is...
DDS: http://www.mediafire...trbu5prytku4ck2
Preview: http://i.imgur.com/PSzv2.jpg
I kept the resolution to 512 because it didn't increase in file size, and it retained the quality of the beauty mark (It looked horrible on 256, and 1024 it didn't look any different from 512)

I noticed a weird color transition around the eyebrow where the skin color would change tones in a straight line, I believe its caused by the CK using improper tint dimensions (Anything other than 256, even though the game supports it) could be why none of your followers have any lipstick or eye shadow. If you have any mods that add custom lipstick or eyeshadow masks like BellaGail's Better Females it will interfere with the tint map generation from the CK as it is incapable of downsizing the masks.

Edited by expired6978, 24 March 2012 - 01:29 AM.

8ltg

8ltg

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Yea i agree on the follower can relax and npc clothes. Those are the one which crash my save unable to get pass general stats to save. If i forget to remove from maintainer slot, dismiss, disable follower can relax, make clean save then disable follower mod then clean save update mods then enable follower then follower can relax. Such danger.

That happen with increased follower mod too, i need to dismiss followers, got to new cell room without them, clean save then disable. If not crash at general stats.

8ltg

8ltg

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
For npc clothes working with luxury mod, just remove cloth you give them, select i like your own outfit, removing from slot, then use luxury dialogue to switch another cloth before dismissing them at luxury suite will get them to bath normally.

navetsea

navetsea

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
Migal130

Do you use Multiple Followers mod in your game?
if so have you tried to tell your follower to change clothes via your dialoque with that Multiple Followers mod active?
I guess it is the problem I have where the old clothing doesn't drop into the owner's inventory after being ordered to change clothes, because when we recruit follower via that mod, it assigns ID of the followers, so it might confuse your mod to which inventory it should send the unused clothes back into.

Perhaps you can check this

thank you again

migal130

migal130

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
@Nav,

I don't use a multiple follower mod. It's just something I haven't tried.

However, the dialogues that came with 2.0 don't deal with inventory. All they do is change a game setting -- the outfit setting for whatever actor you are talking to at the time. This may cause a couple pieces of armor/clothing to spawn in an NPC's inventory, as all outfits do, but it shouldn't reset an NPC's inventory, which some mods do (such as the skill updater spell mod). It also shouldn't remove something from an NPC's inventory.

"I guess it is the problem I have where the old clothing doesn't drop into the owner's inventory after being ordered to change clothes,'

When you say "old clothing," do you mean some kind of clothing you've given the NPC to wear? Is this happening with all clothing you give an NPC, or only certain clothing? Is it happening only with my NPCs, or all NPCs? And to be sure I understand, are you saying the "old clothing" is vanishing from the NPC's inventory? They are wearing it, you tell them to change their outfit, and what they were wearing before they changed outfits is not in their inventory anymore?

==========================

@8ltg,
Yes, that is one way to handle the Suite and NPC Clothing Maintainer.

=========================================

@expired6978,
Looks good. I've been playing with tint masks today, too. You inspired me yesterday.

Page loaded in: 1.283 seconds