Skyrim Freezing Randomly

Christoph117

I am getting Skyrim randomly freezing on me whilst in the open world, with music still playing. I have to Ctrl Alt Delete to quit. Can happen at any time. Was using the 2k textures, disabled those, still getting crashes. Here is a list of the mods I am using, in this order I believe. Unsure what load orders I should use. Could this be causing crashes?

The Pines of Whiterun 1.2

Crowded Cities (v5)

Get Drunk

Sounds of Skyrim - The Dungeons

More Village Animals

RNG (Dynamic) Guards

Real Glaciers

SkyUI (doesn't seem to work even when using the lastest beta Script Extender)

Deeper Snow (more snow)

More Rain

EDWS (Enhanced dynamic weather system)

More Grass

Bigger Trees (Falkreath)

Static Mesh Improvement Mod

Faster Vanilla Horses

5kg Dragon Scales and Bones weight mod

Dragon Bone Weapon Pack 01

HQ snow texture

1st person finishers only!

Skyrim hunting overhaul (WIP)

Real Wildlife Skyrim FIXED

Rats and other cirtters

Legendary Creatures

Butterfliegen v0.04 English

Sounds of Skyrim - The Wilds

RCRN Classic - Hybrid Shaders

Realistic Water Textures and Terrain

Flexible Perk Trees

Whiterun Forest

HD Rabbits Plus

Shadow Striping Fix

HW Skyrimmap

Enhanced Blood Textures

Torches for Realistic Lighting

New Beautiful Sun Glare

Skyrim HD Full - Dungeons.esp

Skyrim HD Full - Markarth.esp

Skyrim HD Full - Solitude.esp

Skyrim HD Full - Whiterun.esp

Skyrim HD Full - Windhelm.esp

Dragon Falls Manor

Better dynamic snow

Spend Dragon Souls for Perks

Better Riften

More NPCs in the Wild

Weapon Variant Expansion

Enhanced Distant Terrain.

I disabled the 'Highrestexturepack' because it looks worse than the 2k textures, and wasn't sure if they would conflict.

I had a lot of texture mods dumped into the /data folder before the steam workshop opened up, when it did, I installed more esp's and I started getting random crashes. Freezes and crashes were very rare for me up until now.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the exact same problem, got random freeze that I have to CTRL ALT DELETE to get out at random spots in skyrim. At first it happened in front of a carriage implemented by a mod... Disabled the mod to see if it would fix the problem but no.

Got a few mods which I've been playing with, don't have the 2K texture pack (yet hehe) and all my mods where working fine and were not making the game freeze up until now. It happen frequently and is annoying.

Anyone have an idea what our problem is?

I have to add that me and the OP have NO MODS IN COMMON... so it ISNT a mod conflicting with the game.

Edited by jmcdg

I am having the same issue... I have been trying to investigate the cause by seeing what is going on around me when this is happening. More often then not, when combat is going on somewhere around me I get the freeze. Not necessarily when I am in combat, but combat in general.

I have been narrowing it down to any mods that are active during or affect combat... I think it has to do with either Enhanced Blood Textures or Deadly Spell Impacts. I noticed you have EBT in your modlist so this may be the cause... I am disabling my mods one by one and playing out in the open to figure this out.

I had horrible problems too with Skyrim. I discovered the problem by the process of elimination. Disabled all mods that seemed to be likely troublemakers, and re-enabled them one by one till I found the problem. A mod that changed the Map was the culprit. Other than that, ensure that you have the latest Patch and latest SKSE (if you use mods that use it). And of course, using too many mods at one will also cause problems I think.

I got these freezes from raising my ugrids to 7 (looked way better, btw), but I got rid of them by putting it back at 5. Sadly, I of course lost the visual quality.

If you've raised your ugridstoload too high, that's a likely culprit. As for the others... idk.

It's in the Skyrim.ini (not Skyrimprefs, just the Skyrim.ini).

It's near the top, and specifically it's "ugridstoload=5" without the quotation marks. It starts out by default at 5, which is very stable. I only got crashes after I raised mine to 7, though I guess for some people it remains stable up to 9. Each increment increases the distance at which you see detailed terrain, greatly increasing immersion but sadly causing crashes and freezing for many people. It must be increased or decreased to odd numbers (1, 3, 5, 7, 9, etc).

If yours is at 5 and you're still freezing or crashing, I wouldn't bother to put it at 3. It's probably not the problem. If you don't crash and you'd like to try raising it, be aware that if you save on a high ugrids value and then try to load that save on a lower ugrids value, your game will crash. Don't save until you know if a high ugrids is going to crash, or you'll mess up your save game and have to do a bunch of complex stuff to restore it.

It's in the Skyrim.ini (not Skyrimprefs, just the Skyrim.ini).

It's near the top, and specifically it's "ugridstoload=5" without the quotation marks. It starts out by default at 5, which is very stable. I only got crashes after I raised mine to 7, though I guess for some people it remains stable up to 9. Each increment increases the distance at which

I haven't this line in skyrim.ini :blink:

[General]

sLanguage=ITALIAN

bBorderRegionsEnabled=0

uExterior Cell Buffer=36

[Display]

fShadowLODMaxStartFade=1000.0

fSpecularLODMaxStartFade=2000.0

fLightLODMaxStartFade=3500.0

iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=2048

bAllowScreenshot=1

[Audio]

fMusicDuckingSeconds=6.0

fMusicUnDuckingSeconds=8.0

fMenuModeFadeOutTime=3.0

fMenuModeFadeInTime=1.0

[Grass]

bAllowCreateGrass=1

bAllowLoadGrass=0

[GeneralWarnings]

SGeneralMasterMismatchWarning=One or more plugins could not find the correct versions of the master files they depend on. Errors may occur during load or game play. Check the "Warnings.txt" file for more information.

[Archive]

sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa

sResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa

[Combat]

fMagnetismStrafeHeadingMult=0.0

fMagnetismLookingMult=0.0

[Papyrus]

fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=500.0

bEnableLogging=0

bEnableTrace=0

bLoadDebugInformation=0

[Water]

bReflectLODObjects=1

bReflectLODLand=1