Way to convert Heavy Armor to Light?

plasism

Hello, I'm a new skyrim player ^ ^

I recently downloaded a Tera Elin mod that replaces the texture of the Ebony Armor (Heavy) into a Elin appearance.

While i do like the look, i'm more of a stealth player and heavy armors aren't my thing.

Is there a way to convert this Ebony Armor into a Light armor?

I see this is your first post, welcome to the nexus.

This is simple, in fact i bet it takes longer for the Creation Kit to load than it will take you to make this small tweak.

Here's what you do;

1. Install & Run the CK

2. In the upper-left corner, click "file", then select "data" from the dropdown

3. Double-click "skyrim.esm" ( you will now see an x it the box next to it), then do the same for the mod you wish to edit. Hit the button "set as active file" then ok. The CK will take a few minutes to load, when the error messages pop up just hit "yes to all"

4. In the "object window", you will see a list of all the different types of things in the game, go to "items" and expand the item options

5. in the tree under items, click on "armor". in the box to the right you will now see a list of every armor in the game. Find the one you want (note; everything is listed alphabetically by editor id, which is probably not the same as the in-game name, but anything added by the mod will have an * next to it)

6. double-click on the armor you want and a rather intimidating-looking window will pop up, but don't worry, ours is a simple edit. Find the box that says "heavy", hit the little dropdown arrow next to it, and select "light". Now hit ok at the bottom of the window.

7. now back to the "file"button, but this time select "save"

8. close the CK, your changes will now appear in-game

It may not make a difference, but i would recommend unequipping the armor and saving the game before editing.

Important: you will no doubt want to browse thru the CK to see what else you can do, but resist the temptation while you have a mod set to active file. Come back in after with only the Skyrim.esm selected, you can't change it with the CK. All your changes are saved as .esp files.

You have just taken your first baby step into modding.

Um, i tried as you said, but when i entered the game (not sure if it matters but it there was a box saying something about item loss)

When i got the ebony armor again (through ` command), the armor was still heavy.

I'm not sure if i did anything wrong (i tried to followed your instructions to a T)

If you messed something up, the easiest thing to do is to delete the mod, re-download the originial, and try again. But tis time, keep a backup just in case.

Making this kind of edit, you should not get a warning like you describe.

To be sure, i just followed my own instructions. It seems i didn't miss anything...

• 1 year later...

I tried the same thing on my game, and everything else went fine but noticed this funny thing that walking around advances Heavy Armor every now and then. And seems that Heavy Armor perks affect it instead of light armor.. Very odd, i set it as light armor and it shows up in inventory as light armor. Might it have something to do with it that i got about 100 mods installed, immersive armors and SkyRe included..?

I tried the same thing on my game, and everything else went fine but noticed this funny thing that walking around advances Heavy Armor every now and then. And seems that Heavy Armor perks affect it instead of light armor.. Very odd, i set it as light armor and it shows up in inventory as light armor. Might it have something to do with it that i got about 100 mods installed, immersive armors and SkyRe included..?

If you have AFT (Amazing Follower Tweaks) installed, it has a feature where you will sometimes gain levels in skills when your followers do - so what might be happening is that your follower just advanced a heavy armor skill and you got a bonus point. I can't remember what it's called, and I'm not at my Skyrim machine right now so I can't check. Anyway, it's possible to use the AFT settings to turn off that feature.

• 4 weeks later...