Unable to install NMM (Newbie)

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

flagyldeux

flagyldeux

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Hello everyone. I am hoping that someone will be able to help me with my problem.

After reading about SkyUI and watching the great tutorial about SKSE and installing the NMM made by GopherVids on YouTube, I decided to take the plunge and install NMM to start enjoying the great mods available on The Nexus.

I registered and downloaded NMM, following along with GohperVids video as I did. However, I reached an impasse when I got this warning: Attached File  NMM Install Error.png   234.15KB   34 downloads .

I tried to follow the directions using option number two, however therein lies my difficulty. I do not have a folder named 'Games', nor do I see a folder within the Nexus Mod Manager folder (which is located in C:\Program Files) called 'Install Info'.

The only sub-folders I see within the NMM folder are: Data, GameModes, Modformats, ScriptTypes and Uninstall. There are a few files below the folders. I do not see an 'Install Info' folder to move to the path that they have specified (I created the 'C:\Games\ModManagerInfo\InstallInfo' file path myself this morning, but it is currently empty as I can't figure out what I should be moving into the 'InstallInfo' folder).

The last sentence within the error box encourages me to keep the 'Install Info' folder out of the 'C:\Program Files' folder...but I can't find it :).

I'm running Windows 7 Professional. The majority of my games are from Steam. As I have stated before, I do not have a 'Games' folder anywhere on my system that I am aware of, aside from the folder I created myself in hopes of putting the 'Install Info' filder into it.

Can anyone assist? Please type slowly and use small words :). Thanks in advance.

Edited by flagyldeux, 01 March 2012 - 03:44 PM.

Harry1982

Harry1982

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
Have you just tried option number 3, right clicking > run as admin?? Could do the trick...

flagyldeux

flagyldeux

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Have you just tried option number 3, right clicking > run as admin?? Could do the trick...

Harry. Thanks for replying so quickly. When I tried your suggestion, I got this: Attached File  After clicking Run as Administrator.png   78.34KB   31 downloads

Harry1982

Harry1982

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
Yeah I've had that a few times, but I ignore it and try again...

So yeah, try admin again on the installation and no worries, happy to assist.

flagyldeux

flagyldeux

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
I am not sure if this is the correct forum for this thread. If not, mods please move to the appropriate forum with my apologies.

After trying to run NMM as an administrator, I got the following dumps:
Attached File  MessagerTraceLog20120301105537.txt   3.86KB   34 downloads
and
Attached File  TraceLog20120301111138.txt   2.52KB   10 downloads .

I don't know if this helps anyone elucidate the problem.

Edited by flagyldeux, 01 March 2012 - 11:12 PM.

Harry1982

Harry1982

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
Sorry, wish I could help you more right now. I have a few things to do around the house and I'll have a think a bit.

If I come up with any ideas, I'll be sure to post back! Good luck in the meantime!!

If I were you, I'd get too ticked with it, backup my savegames (if any), uninstall everything, reinstall Skyrim to a standard folder such as C:Skyrim and then the NMM and go from there.

It looks as though you've done everything correct as far as I can tell.

flagyldeux

flagyldeux

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Sorry, wish I could help you more right now. I have a few things to do around the house and I'll have a think a bit.

If I come up with any ideas, I'll be sure to post back! Good luck in the meantime!!

If I were you, I'd get too ticked with it, backup my savegames (if any), uninstall everything, reinstall Skyrim to a standard folder such as C:Skyrim and then the NMM and go from there.

It looks as though you've done everything correct as far as I can tell.

No worries Harry. I appreciate you taking the time and enjoy your day.

LOL..I'm too chicken to do any major file shuffling. I like how Steam is able to order all my games and I am really reluctant to rock the boat in that regard (I am a newbie after all).

I am hoping that I am doing something dumb and the process is as easy as GopherVids made it seem to be (maybe he was using special effects to get it running so easily :) ).

flagyldeux

flagyldeux

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
OK. I searched a few other resources and I was able to solve my dilemma (I'm sure I will have future dilemmas though :) ).

As I understand it, and I could be wrong, when NMM is installing itself, it wants to install in a folder called 'Games'. I had manually created that folder this morning, in response to the prompt of the error that was generated (see my first post). After looking around a bit more on the web, what I decided to do was to delete the NMM and start over, keeping the C:\Games folder I created this morning. When I re-installed NMM, everything extracted as it should and it opened correctly.

I suspect that NMM assumes that every PC has a folder named 'C:\Games', which may not be the case when one purchases 90% of one's games from Steam (as I do).

So for anyone else that may have this problem, try creating a folder called 'Games' on your C drive, deleting your initial install of NMM and try re-installing it.

Thanks again for the help Harry1982.

Edited by flagyldeux, 01 March 2012 - 11:53 PM.

Harry1982

Harry1982

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
Kudos to you!! You're going to need that sort of tenacity when you get into modding Skyrim, especially your .ini settings, although you sound like you could take a while to get the courage up for that sorta stuff!

Have fun!

themoonbear45

themoonbear45

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

OK. I searched a few other resources and I was able to solve my dilemma (I'm sure I will have future dilemmas though :) ).

As I understand it, and I could be wrong, when NMM is installing itself, it wants to install in a folder called 'Games'. I had manually created that folder this morning, in response to the prompt of the error that was generated (see my first post). After looking around a bit more on the web, what I decided to do was to delete the NMM and start over, keeping the C:\Games folder I created this morning. When I re-installed NMM, everything extracted as it should and it opened correctly.

I suspect that NMM assumes that every PC has a folder named 'C:\Games', which may not be the case when one purchases 90% of one's games from Steam (as I do).

So for anyone else that may have this problem, try creating a folder called 'Games' on your C drive, deleting your initial install of NMM and try re-installing it.

Thanks again for the help Harry1982.

Hey, I did just as you said you said and it worked! Thanks for posting this you are a life saver :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Page loaded in: 0.891 seconds