Unable to install NMM (Newbie)

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

flagyldeux

flagyldeux

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

OK. I searched a few other resources and I was able to solve my dilemma (I'm sure I will have future dilemmas though :) ).

As I understand it, and I could be wrong, when NMM is installing itself, it wants to install in a folder called 'Games'. I had manually created that folder this morning, in response to the prompt of the error that was generated (see my first post). After looking around a bit more on the web, what I decided to do was to delete the NMM and start over, keeping the C:\Games folder I created this morning. When I re-installed NMM, everything extracted as it should and it opened correctly.

I suspect that NMM assumes that every PC has a folder named 'C:\Games', which may not be the case when one purchases 90% of one's games from Steam (as I do).

So for anyone else that may have this problem, try creating a folder called 'Games' on your C drive, deleting your initial install of NMM and try re-installing it.

Thanks again for the help Harry1982.

Hey, I did just as you said you said and it worked! Thanks for posting this you are a life saver :)

My pleasure themoonbear45. I am glad I was able to contribute. Enjoy Skyrim.

IronSturgeon

IronSturgeon

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Sorry, wish I could help you more right now. I have a few things to do around the house and I'll have a think a bit.

If I come up with any ideas, I'll be sure to post back! Good luck in the meantime!!

If I were you, I'd get too ticked with it, backup my savegames (if any), uninstall everything, reinstall Skyrim to a standard folder such as C:Skyrim and then the NMM and go from there.

It looks as though you've done everything correct as far as I can tell.

No worries Harry. I appreciate you taking the time and enjoy your day.

LOL..I'm too chicken to do any major file shuffling. I like how Steam is able to order all my games and I am really reluctant to rock the boat in that regard (I am a newbie after all).

I am hoping that I am doing something dumb and the process is as easy as GopherVids made it seem to be (maybe he was using special effects to get it running so easily :) ).

How did you create that folder? I am like an ubernube and needs help..

flagyldeux

flagyldeux

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Sorry, wish I could help you more right now. I have a few things to do around the house and I'll have a think a bit.

If I come up with any ideas, I'll be sure to post back! Good luck in the meantime!!

If I were you, I'd get too ticked with it, backup my savegames (if any), uninstall everything, reinstall Skyrim to a standard folder such as C:Skyrim and then the NMM and go from there.

It looks as though you've done everything correct as far as I can tell.

No worries Harry. I appreciate you taking the time and enjoy your day.

LOL..I'm too chicken to do any major file shuffling. I like how Steam is able to order all my games and I am really reluctant to rock the boat in that regard (I am a newbie after all).

I am hoping that I am doing something dumb and the process is as easy as GopherVids made it seem to be (maybe he was using special effects to get it running so easily :) ).

How did you create that folder? I am like an ubernube and needs help..

Hey Iron. You and I are in the same boat as newbies. I will help as best I can.

1) I am assuming you are using Windows 7. If so, click the 'Start' button and then click on 'Computer' which should be on the right side of the menu.

2) You should then be looking at an image of (or maybe just details on) you C drive.

3) Double click on the C drive icon. You should then see all the folders and files on the C drive.

4) Go to any free area of the window and right click with your mouse to bring up a menu.

5)Choose 'New' then 'Folder' via the menu.

6) After the new folder is created, single click on it to select it and then right click to bring up the menu again. This time choose :Rename' (you can also left double click on the word 'New Folder' really quickly, which should allow you to also rename the folder).

7) Type in 'Game' to make this the new name of the folder and press 'Enter' on your keyboard.

8_That SHOULD be all you need to do. As an added measure of safety, try deleting the NMM and then re-install it after you have created the 'Games' folder. NMM should extract the correct files into the 'Games' folder.

I hope this helps.

SarisTheSwift

SarisTheSwift

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Thank you Newbie :D This helped a lot and I was able to get it to work :DD lol ty again :3

flagyldeux

flagyldeux

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Thank you Newbie :D This helped a lot and I was able to get it to work :DD lol ty again :3

De nada Saris. Enjoy.

Theridion

Theridion

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

OK. I searched a few other resources and I was able to solve my dilemma (I'm sure I will have future dilemmas though :) ).

As I understand it, and I could be wrong, when NMM is installing itself, it wants to install in a folder called 'Games'. I had manually created that folder this morning, in response to the prompt of the error that was generated (see my first post). After looking around a bit more on the web, what I decided to do was to delete the NMM and start over, keeping the C:\Games folder I created this morning. When I re-installed NMM, everything extracted as it should and it opened correctly.

I suspect that NMM assumes that every PC has a folder named 'C:\Games', which may not be the case when one purchases 90% of one's games from Steam (as I do).

So for anyone else that may have this problem, try creating a folder called 'Games' on your C drive, deleting your initial install of NMM and try re-installing it.

Thanks again for the help Harry1982.

Cheers to you! I was having the same problem, but then I tried what you recommended and it worked perfectly! Thanks so much!

flagyldeux

flagyldeux

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Cheers to you! I was having the same problem, but then I tried what you recommended and it worked perfectly! Thanks so much!

Hey Theridion. My pleasure. I am glad I was able to help. Have fun :).

TheVikingATC

TheVikingATC

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks for the suggestion on creating the folder "games" I was having the same problem, but now it's working flawlessly! You're a lifesaver.

flagyldeux

flagyldeux

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Thanks for the suggestion on creating the folder "games" I was having the same problem, but now it's working flawlessly! You're a lifesaver.

My pleasure Viking. I hope you have a ton of fun. I'll see you in Whiterun :).

marshall092

marshall092

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks a lot for the post of explaining this, I had the exact same problem and this totally helped me.

Thanks!

Page loaded in: 1.170 seconds