Having Trouble Using NPC Editor with Apachii Sky Hair

elliottmarter

Hey,

I was also allways confused how it works but I finally found a way:

first go to steam/SteamApps/common/skyrim/data/meshes/actors/character/character assets/hair/apachii/female

from this folder you copy all files (should be nif. and tri-files like hair01.nif, hair01.tri, hair02.nif,...)

now create the folder: steam/SteamApps/common/skyrim/data/meshes/actors/character/character assets/hair/female

and paste all the files into this folder. this little difference should work.

in the npc editor you only have to change from default hair to custom hair.

the only problem is that you have to make somewhere safetycopies from the old npc data because otherwise the npc can't get their default hair back. When I deleted the "npc editor mod" from Iona I've created she still got the apachii-hair with the same number as she would have with the default hair...

Thank you very much for your reply Ojigwe, Kudos to you!

One more little thing, where is the default hair data kept so I can back it up?

How to give your companion a hair with the CK.

Open Creation Kit with Skyrim.esm and ApachiiSkyHair.esm selected but not as active.

Locate the pre-existing NPC you want to give new hair.

Edit the Actor > Character Gen Parts tab.

Under Base Head Parts list select the Apachii hair you want your character to use choose preview head ( the hair does not show on the character)

choose preview full on your character and the hair shows

ignore any error messages you get about the tri files.

Click OK and close the characters window.

In the Object Window, find the base Actor you've just edited.

With the Actor selected in the list, press ctrl+F4. Click "Yes" when prompted to export.

This will create 2 new face textures DDS files with the NPCs ID number (example - 000B997F.dds)in data/Textures/Actors/Character/FaceGenData/FaceTint/Skyrim.esm.

It also creates a head meshes with the NPCs ID number(example - 000B997F.NIF) in Data/meshes/actors/character/FaceGenData/FaceGeom/Skyrim.esm

Remove this 2 textures that was created by the CK, keep the meshes.

If I did not remove the textures there was color mismatch.

Make an esp with the character changes.

Hey,

I was also allways confused how it works but I finally found a way:

first go to steam/SteamApps/common/skyrim/data/meshes/actors/character/character assets/hair/apachii/female

from this folder you copy all files (should be nif. and tri-files like hair01.nif, hair01.tri, hair02.nif,...)

now create the folder: steam/SteamApps/common/skyrim/data/meshes/actors/character/character assets/hair/female

and paste all the files into this folder. this little difference should work.

in the npc editor you only have to change from default hair to custom hair.

the only problem is that you have to make somewhere safetycopies from the old npc data because otherwise the npc can't get their default hair back. When I deleted the "npc editor mod" from Iona I've created she still got the apachii-hair with the same number as she would have with the default hair...

Yes, this will "activate" the apachii or hairpack or whatever set of styles you want to use. As Ojigwe points out, it overwrites the default hair styles though. I suspect you could change the flle #'s - for example change apachii hair01.nif to hair101.nif. So it wouldn't clash with the defaults styes. Don't know if that works, you could try.

Also take a look at Any Hair All Races - DIY from d_rail at http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=9716. You might find some of the discussion helpful.