Increasing memory page file size = better Skyrim performance..?

miseryguts

I've read several different posts that claim doing this significantly improves Skyrims performance.. can anyone here confirm/refute this.. and is it safe to do, can it potentially cause system failure or instability issues..?

for reference i have 6142MB (6GB) of paging file size.. how much could i safely increase this..?

Thanks.

Edited by miseryguts

I wouldn't bother unless you have 2GB or less of physical RAM. The paging file is much slower; on my laptop (not my gaming pc) I got rid of it entirely.

If you have 3gb of ram it will not make any difference, at that PF size (WOW THAT'S HUGE!), my PF is set to auto (default Win7 x64) and normally without having about too many things open and running at once, I've only seen mine at about 2gb or less. Skyrim can only use 4gb of "virtual" ram that's installed ram + PF + maybe kernal, because of TESV is only a 32 bit exe.

How much RAM do you have, actually? There's a chance you'd get better performance by decreasing or eliminating the paging file if you have 4GB or more. Edited by Rennn

I can actually say with 100% confidence that increasing page filing makes skyrim do weird things. You are better off with it smaller if you have the ram. I am using 4 gigs ram on Asus mobo, AMD dual core, Radeon hd 3850 with xp and with page set at 4 gigs skyrim starts jumping. If my hd is full then skyrim runs right. If my paging is set to 2 gigs or less the game runs fine. I can thank bethesda for not optimizing skyrim for amd dual cores only intel. I know what I am seeing is the game not using the dual cores right and the only fix I have found was to drop my paging down. so less page files space = much better performance in skyrim for me. The game before at 4 gigs + space on the hd was completely unplayable now though it runs great. Edited by carinaallbright

Interesting... I have a 4GB paging file on my gaming rig (my old laptop though has none, as I said, to decrease startup times), and Skyrim is terribly stuttery for me unless I cap my framerate. I wonder if the memory leak spills on to the paging file and slows everything down a massive amount...

I tried playing around with frame rate and everything else I could think of. When I first got hit with this bug was when I realized my 300gb hd was at 30 gb free and I decided to move stuff around and clean it up. Went from 30gb free to 100gb free. Skyrim went from playing great to completely unplayable. Fiddled with frame rate, graphics setting, mods, tagged the game to just 1 core but nothing fixed it so set the game aside for a while. waited a month while my hd filled up without really realizing it from game demos and other stuff. Tried skyrim again and it worked flawlessly. Checked my hd when an install failed and realized I was down to 10gb of free space. So again deleted stuff I didn't need and move stuff to alternate drive (75gb itunes crap). Low and behold skyrim is unplayable again. Note nothing moved had ANY relation to skyrim or steam so the only factor was giving more free space. So though about it searched and decided to reduce pag files from 4 gb which is where it has been set for I don't know how long on my pc down to 2 gb. Loaded Skyrim and she ran fine again. I would say if the game seems stuttery or jumpy definately try decreasing the page files if you have the ram to do it.