skyrim getting boring

gengar807

Skyrim is my first elder scrolls game, and I got into it b/c I saw a friend playing it and the scenery was astounding. Having played a lot of fantasy mmo's I thought this might be a nice, slower paced alternative. I've played some 250 hours so far, and know I will play more. However, as this thread suggests I have found that my initial interests in the game have slowly declined. I initially enjoyed the exploring, unlocking locations - rarely ever fast traveled until I got to about level 50 or so. This is mainly b/c it was challenging and exciting to do so - and half the time I would get completely side tracked while traveling from one quest location to another and pick up 10 more quests. After enough game time a few key things began to annoy, for example, various aspects to guild quests left me feeling underwhelmed. The stories were short, really fast paced, and then suddenly you're the boss? I mean... really...? I laughed when my assassin character with only illusion higher than 50 became the mage guild leader. And then to boot, the only people in skyrim that seem to know or care that you're the leader of the Dark Brotherhood is a random guard now and then. And then the thieves guild quest was fairly random throughout, and although cool, I felt like it lacked a lot of continuity. Doubling or even tripling the length of the guild quest lines would have been a great start imo. I also found it a little.. weird.. that you could become the guild leader to everything. I avoided reading about the game and quests for a very long time, and so thought that you'd really only be able to pick one guild to join. When I found out otherwise I said, hrm, okay, well... - Personally found this to kill off some of the immersion in the game. I wanted the choice of a guild to have a large impact, which it did not.

And then, to boot, after completing the civil war - folks still speak about people which are dead in the present tense, and in addition to being the guild leader of the world I'm also a commander?

I don't know. I could see if you went with the companions then you become a leader in the war, or if you went other guilds, another quest line regarding the civil war open up which are tailored to your guild in a stylized manner. Like: You chose the dark brotherhood, and so after finishing that you are contacted by both sides to 'work' for them in some capacity and blablabla -- A lot could have been done with this to really give folks the feeling that your choices matter.

I have been feeling though as of late that no matter the amount of mods I apply, the inconsistencies in various stories are piling up. The fact that EVERY quest line seems to exist by itself without any real impact from your past accomplishments leads to me feel that even though I've done almost all the quests I've accomplished nothing in the world.

A large part of me really wanted choices to have consequences, and the consequences to create a more individualized game. So, my friend that I saw playing experienced a different game than I did b/c he joined the mage guild and I joined the dark brotherhood - and then we could spend hours ranting and raving about the ridiculous stuff that happens b/c he chose xyz, and I chose qrs.

As I said to start - I'm an elder scrolls newb, but I found this aspect of Skyrim to become annoying as I have played.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i felt like the same way you did...even though it wasent my first elder scroll game i was wicked excited to get the game and stuff.....also whats weird is that around level 50 i felt the same way too...i completed every guild and it still feels like iv done nothing

Boring, yeah. Even frustrating as I thought it would be much "better" than Oblivion, which I still avidly play because of mods.

I think its the choice thing; quests in Skyrim are more like assigned tasks. They're work, not really fun adventuring. In Oblivion, quests were opportunities. I played vanilla Oblivion several times before I had joined every guild. In Skyrim, you just max out whatever skills/perks and go. The "ultimate" powers (Shouts) are hardly worth searching for and barely impact game play. And its an "illogical" fantasy world, if that makes sense. The people of Skyrim needn't worry about dragons subjugating them, they better hope the bandits don't get together and take the place over; they're much more powerful. A couple rouge Centurions and a few electro-mages could wipe out entire Holds with little problem. The angst of the storyline just doesn't match Skyrim "reality".

Oblivion, even though it was heavily criticized for balance issues, was much more open. You could wander and explore and do random things without completely gimping your character. In Skyrim, you really need to focus to keep up. A few unplanned level gains and you're playing serious catch-up. That's a balance issue much more severe than Oblivion's.

But, I keep playing it. I'm on my forth build trying to get a character which matches my play style to survive without power gaming. I'm considering a heavy armor Smith-mage, or maybe an Alteration-Alchemist. They're bound to get further than my Pickpocket Healer or the Enchanting Safecracker. ; )

Not bored yet , i already made about 5 or 7 character( not all lvled to 50 ) when i m getting bored i m doing another character, thinking of a background for it , and even if i m starting being bored i just choose some mods to improve the game, changing the difficulty of the game..and the day i ll be very very very bored i ll simply put my armor and weapons on the ground and i ll start to play with the editor.

With imagination,something you really enjoyed couldn't become boring(it s my personnal point of view of course :) )

i also try to play with editor, but on me its very limitated, yesterday i charged up my CK tryng to make some weapons set enprovable at the forge, selecting witch material use (void salts, fire salts and so on) but i never found this option :(

I think hat skyrim is a very fun game, and very open-world. But, I do think that some of the immersion is damaged in a few ways. For example, you finish the civil war, and no one's really damaged, or sad, or anything like that. The city just stays on fire for a few days, and then goes right back to normal. . . and the DB questline is probably the biggest example of how doing something seemingly so game-changing can just be a menial task. You kill the emperor; no one cares. (the reward is nice, though :D) I just think that if npc's were more happy and talkative after a big good change in skyrim happened, and they were depressed and scarred when the latter happened, Skyrim would already be a more immersive game. We need some new dialogue mods! :biggrin:

Oblivion is nearly unplayable without mods. It has had several years to mature and an active mod community, so it is no surprise that it is very good now. Skyrim has different game breaking problems, but I have faith that the community will solve those issues too. Quests can be added (easily), townsfolk can be made to recognise your standing, becoming archmage can become a challenge, the game could become less like an Xbox game.

Perhaps a modder will create a "must have" mod that will fix every major issue with the game, or perhaps the content created by the whole community will eventually double the length of the game. It happened to Oblivion, it happened to Stalker, it is a reasonable bet that it will happen again. A very interesting mod I saw recently was the Forsworn Faction mod - it is rather basic as of now, but can easily be developed into a long and involving questline of its own. Someone else may develop a mod that adds new quests to Winterhold, an offshoot of a realism mod may enable NPCs to recognise your deeds, etc etc etc.

And 4 years from now when the sequel comes out, you'll make a thread saying you got bored and Skyrim is a much better game provided you install A quest mod, B realism mod, C faction mod, D NPC mod, E perk mod, F crafting mod, G warfare mod, H guild questline mod, I radiant quest mod, J tradeskills pack, ...

Oblivion is nearly unplayable without mods. It has had several years to mature and an active mod community, so it is no surprise that it is very good now. Skyrim has different game breaking problems, but I have faith that the community will solve those issues too. Quests can be added (easily), townsfolk can be made to recognise your standing, becoming archmage can become a challenge, the game could become less like an Xbox game.

Perhaps a modder will create a "must have" mod that will fix every major issue with the game, or perhaps the content created by the whole community will eventually double the length of the game. It happened to Oblivion, it happened to Stalker, it is a reasonable bet that it will happen again. A very interesting mod I saw recently was the Forsworn Faction mod - it is rather basic as of now, but can easily be developed into a long and involving questline of its own. Someone else may develop a mod that adds new quests to Winterhold, an offshoot of a realism mod may enable NPCs to recognise your deeds, etc etc etc.

And 4 years from now when the sequel comes out, you'll make a thread saying you got bored and Skyrim is a much better game provided you install A quest mod, B realism mod, C faction mod, D NPC mod, E perk mod, F crafting mod, G warfare mod, H guild questline mod, I radiant quest mod, J tradeskills pack, ...

I can so see that happening. LOL. I'm working on a questline myself. Right now, I'm very early in it, like navmeshing the building isn't even done yet, but soon enough, I'll start on the quests, and I'm going to try to make it as game-impacting as possible! :)