1054 replies to this topic

lnsentience

lnsentience

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts
I'm having a problem.

I've added about 200 songs (crazy, I know) and their total file size is > 2 gb.

Whenever I play the game, I'd get random CTDs. Without this mod, the game runs fine.

I think this is because I'm using too much memory. WAV files can get pretty big.

So could you provide an alternate version of the mod that plays .xwm files? (since .xwm files are so much smaller than .wav files) It would work exactly the same, except instead of .wav files, it would play .xwm files.

:D

Edited by lnsentience, 26 April 2012 - 02:36 AM.

No_Aardvarks_Allowed

No_Aardvarks_Allowed

Old hand

• Premium Member
  • 534 posts
@ Willy4x4

You rename it the same, EXCEPT for the x that start the file name. Your tracks should be named MMCombat01, MMCombat02, etc. Make sure every file is in its right subfolder, encoded/converted correctly, renamed correctly, that the mod is checked/activated in the NMM and that you are using the correct mod version for your Skyrim version. If you do this, it should work.

@ cooldude5

Nope.

1. You are not allowed to upload copyrighted material on Steam Workshop (without the express permission by the holder of said copyright, which in the case of the LotR OST you never will get). I don't visit the workshop a lot, so I don't know how strictly that policy is upheld, but when it comes to very high profile stuff like LotR, I wouldn't bet on getting away with it.

2. You are not allowed to upload any part--modified or otherwise--of this mod on Steam Workshop or anywhere else. I prefer it Nexus exclusive.

@ lnsentience

That's actually what I'm working on ATM (and have been for a while). The .xwm format makes the files about one twentieth of the size compared to .wav, which is great. After the mod grew to make it possible to add several hundreds of tracks, and when people started reporting issues with big files, I realized it made sense to make a xwm version. (There is a good xwm converter available here on the Nexus, so converting shouldn't be a problem for anyone.) It's just that manually changing all 450 tracks in the CK to point to a xwm file instead of a win file is about as fun as shaving with a cheese grater, so it'll be some time before it's done. I'm about half way there, but atm I'm pretty swamped with other stuff. So it may take about a week or so until I'll have it ready for uploading.

I will also expand the mod to an even 500 addable tracks for that version. Which music categories do you guys think could need more tracks?

lnsentience

lnsentience

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts
Sounds great! I can't play skyrim anymore because of the constant crashes and I'm sure not turning off this mod!

Truthseeker1412

Truthseeker1412

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
♥. YOU ARE MY HERO! ♥. No_Aardvarks_Allowed, I love you. :')

RiverK

RiverK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Endorsed because this needed to be made. You're awesome. But unfortunately, Skyrim won't launch when this mod is loaded up for me, so I'm afraid I'll have to go without. =[ Had a shitton of Biosphere all cued up and everything.

saneroot

saneroot

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
Great mod, will endorse. Is there any chance to add dwemer ruins their own music? They're the only unique dungeon area that doesn't have one.

Sorry if it was asked, there's a lot of comments.

Kay123

Kay123

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts
Wait a minute...who told you I wanted my Baldurs Gate music in Skyrim?! D:

Great mod! Imho, it really adds something special to the replayability of Skyrim. While the vanilla-music is great, it gets somewhat boring to hear the same 4 combat tracks for several playthroughs. Thanks a lot!

MfG

No_Aardvarks_Allowed

No_Aardvarks_Allowed

Old hand

• Premium Member
  • 534 posts
@ Everyone

The new 4.0 version is up, letting you use the compressed .xwm format for the music files. If you want to use it, get started on converting your files! (Yes, it's about as fun as watching paint flake--which is even more boring than watching it dry--but just imagine how much fun it was for me to manually reassign the file paths to all 500 addable tracks. Good times!)

@ RiverK

It should work for you. Just try to re-install (in case it got corrupted) and follow all instructions closely. If the .wav version (3.0) won't work, try the new .xwm version (4.0).

@ saneroot

To do that, I'd have to edit the sounds for those locations and that could lead to conflicts with other, more popular mods that also edit the same places. Like Sounds of Skyrim, for example. I haven't tried that particular mod, but it has a lot of users and endorsements. So I won't do anything with the main mod that might create incompatibilities.

However, I will start working (probably next weekend) on small add-ons to the mod that will change the playlists for particular locations. The idea is to let everyone use the particular add-ons they want (if any), depending on what other mods they are using, for increased flexibility. It'll be easy just to check and un-check the add-ons in the NMM to customize the music for individual playing sessions.

Dwemer ruins is one such add-on I had planned on making, since they are so different from the regular Nord ruins. The add-on will give the Dwemer locations their own playlist that users can add music to, using the same subfolder and renaming system as the main mod uses. Also, one user asked for a specific playlist for the temples in Skyrim and I think that's a good idea, so I'll probably do that. I will also make one for Blackreach, since I feel that place is so ethereal and unique that it should have its own music. I have a few more ideas for other places, but haven't decided if they are too small/seldom visited to have separate playlists.

If anyone has suggestions or requests for any additional location playlist add-ons, feel free to comment.

@ Kay123

Everyone wants Baldur's Gate in their game. Just as everyone likes beer on their cereal. Right...? Or is that just me?

Ichigo2012

Ichigo2012

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
Awesome mod you have made here. Haven't yet used it, but..ENDORSED. Planning to bring Morrowind and Oblivion tracks into my Skyrim game. :)

Edited by Ichigo2012, 29 April 2012 - 06:38 PM.

Odyseus77

Odyseus77

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts
@ No_Aardvarks_Allowed: I wanted to thank you for your wonderful mod!!! Endorsed from day one!!!

And while I'm here, I want to comment about xwm files conversion. It is very easy to convert all your wma files to xwm in just one step. Whether those files are all located inside a single folder, or inside several subfolders. You will need the program called xWMAEncode wich is part of DirectX SDK (more than 500 MB-From this package, all you need is the file called xWMAEncode.exe---less than 1 MB ¬¬). This guy on Nexus forums explains exactly how to use that program.

Basically you have to create two bat files.

A file called Convert_wav_To_xwm.bat containing the following code:

for /r . %%T IN (*.wav) do @xWMAEncode.exe "%%T" "%%~pT%%~nT.xwm"

And a file called Convert_xwm_To_wav.bat containing the following code:

for /r . %%T IN (*.xwm) do @xWMAEncode.exe "%%T" "%%~pT%%~nT.wav"

If you are seeing this comment from Nexus (not from the Nexus forums), the above codes are displayed incorrectly. Go here to be able to see these codes correctly.

Then, copy these two bat files, along with the xWMAEncode.exe file inside the root folder where all the wav files are. The following image shows an example of the folder where I have all the music files from Personalized Music Version 3.

Posted Image

And after the conversion finished.

Posted Image

For obvious reasons, I can not post a link to share my files. But you can contact me by PM and I'll /tell you/ how to get those files.

An important note. I resampled all wav files larger than 70 MB to 22 kBS (To reduce its size. Otherwise, my game would crash with wav files larger than 70 MB). xWMAEncode can not convert those wav files to xwm. So I had to resample those files to at least 32 kBS.

Again, thank you very much for your mod, No_Aardvarks_Allowed.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Odyseus77, 29 April 2012 - 07:13 PM.

Page loaded in: 0.977 seconds