Skyrim Papyrus sucks... and CTD

PHatPHry

So i found out the new Papyrus Script is causing all world interactions and scripts to become slow and delayed. Have no idea how to fix this.

for example... "can i rent a room" "sure thing" I don't get the room until 1 hour later when I'm fighting in a dungeon. Suddenly i wil have 10 coins deducted.

This happens to all things, including opening of doors to activating shrines.

Also i can only play the game for 2 minutes before it crashes on me. For no reason. Anywhere, anytime.

I have no mods installed. Nothing, vanilla.

Is your computer weak and not really powerful enough for Skyrim? Is your computer overloaded and doing too many tasks at once while you try to play Skyrim? Are your game settings turned up too high and causing lots of lag?

Were you able to completely remove all your mods including the scripts, meshes, and textures? Or do traces of your mods remain and cause problems?

Check your save files, they'll almost certainly be bloated to tens of megs. The lag starts being noticeable around 20 megs and it's exactly like you describe your symptoms, starting at a few seconds and increasing the bigger the file gets. You can try disabling the offending mods (see below) and then waiting a few in-game days to see if the files go back down to normal size. If not, the only option is to go to a save file that's still in the normal range (look for when the increases were small) and restart from there, disabling the offending mods and/or keeping an eye on the size, reverting and trying different mods until it works normally.

The two mods that I know of that cause save file bloat are Adventurers & Travelers, and the previous version of Dynavision (the new version has fixed it). There are surely others too, because Papyrus sucks and the save system sucks.

Holy s*** guys my save were over 300 megabtes what the f***

That's impressive even for save game bloat :) I don't think I could imagine trying to play even at 50 megs, the 20 when I noticed was already really bad.

So, go through your saves and find the point where they start increasing rapidly. It's obviously easier if you've got a lot of saves like I did, but the pattern I saw was that it was fluctuating between 10 and 11 megs (going like 10.3, 10.4, 10.2, 104, 10.5, 10.3, and so on) and then went 10.5 -> 11 -> 11.5 etc. Obviously your exact numbers will be different but hopefully you'll see something like that. If not, you'll have to guess more.

When you've found it, play a little while (couple hours) with all mods still disabled, save often, and make sure it stays pretty stable and hopefully even goes up and down a bit. Then start re-enabling mods maybe a few at a time.

Edited by meh12345

• 3 weeks later...
I am having similar problems. I do however play several mods, have terrible script lag at times and can always count on a CTD ever hour or so. I have recently deactivated all mods, removed some, done a clean save for other reasons. My script lag did not start until I restarted mods from a clean save. I checked my save game sizes, the auto saves are the largest a ~7-8 MB; others are between ~3-5 MB, so obviously something else is going on with me. Edited by elkanbrand

• 8 months later...

I think that a bit of necromancy is in order here.

(...) because Papyrus sucks and the save system sucks.

Most problems are introduced by poor scripts (infinite loops, recursive OnUpdate [regsisterforupdate()]).

The papyrus framework is not that bad, apart from lacking somewhat in available features / predefined methods one would normally find in "proper" programing languages. Enter SKSE and ScriptDragon.

Edited by BearRawr