Skyrim crashes right after Bethesdas logo

47X

I'm literary going insane here. I've googled pretty much everything possible everywhere but nothing works. And I can't stress this one enough...I don't have any issue with the sound. Anyways as I stated in the title up there, it crashes right after the Bethesda logo appears. I recently reinstalled Skyrim and I've played successfully for a couple of days now and out of the blue, it dies on me again.!! So, pretty please, anyone know anything about something that may or may not be the answer to my question..or more likely my angry rant, please tell me. And don't mention anything about adjusting the sound settings, or so help me (include whatever deity you've put your faith upon) I will kill an innocent baby seal. There will be blood.

Fixed it for you. There seemed to be a few too many words in this that were obscuring a part of the meaning. I took them out to make the meaning clear. I did not change any punctuation, grammar or spelling as those did not affect the meaning.

Notice how much clearer the text flows without those extraneous words? They really didn't add anything to the meaning and distracted from the idea you are trying to express. Now think of all the extra keystrokes you made that turned out to be totally unneeded.

In other words, Hiding profanity behind *** (You missed one) isn't going to save you from a moderator. The profanity filter is there for a reason. And that reason is not to encourage people to find cute ways to bypass it.

Bben46, Moderator

Are you running a complete clean/new save? Or are you attempting to load older saves on a new install?

If your old install was using a skyrim.ini with uGridsToLoad= set higher than the default 5, and you're running a clean install with a older save that had a higher uGridsToLoad setting in your previous ini, you'd immediately CTD attempting to load the save as the uGridsToLoad setting is hard coded into your save files.

Are you running a complete clean/new save? Or are you attempting to load older saves on a new install?

If your old install was using a skyrim.ini with uGridsToLoad= set higher than the default 5, and you're running a clean install with a older save that had a higher uGridsToLoad setting in your previous ini, you'd immediately CTD attempting to load the save as the uGridsToLoad setting is hard coded into your save files.

So far I haven't played any of my older saves from the time before I did my reinstallation.

Well if its a clean save and you haven't edited the Skyrim.ini after reinstall, the only other thing that could cause a full CTD after the Bethesda loading screen is to have your ESM master file load order wrong.

If you are running no mods at all, the only two ESM files that should be ticked in your Data Files list should be the following

Skyrim.esm

Update.esm

If you are running mods and you have mods that use master files, loading any other master file before Skyrim.esm in your load order will cause Skyrim to immediately shut down after the Bethesda logo. If you're using mods it would help to know which mods and where they are in your mod load order.

I have the same problem as 47X. I'll leave out the expletives deleted, but I feel the same way. One day I'm playing - the next day I can't get passed the Bethesda logo screen.. That is I don't get to the point of being given the option of loading an old file or continuing. It crashes immediately. This really sux.

OK, I'm not a pro (only a small pun intended pr0) so I don't know about the skyrim.ini file. I searched in steam\steamapps but there is no file by that name. There is a Skyrim_default file. But I searched it - there is no uGridsToLoad.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

OK, pr0 - you got me there. Yes, I have probably too many mods. I never have figured out the proper load order. I will take your suggestion. Hold on, I see the problem, I no longer have a skyrim.esm!! Don't know how that happened. I guess I'll have to re-install.

Skyrim.ini, as well as SkyrimPrefs.ini, and all your save files are in Documents/My Games/Skyrim folder if you're on a Windows based install. Just click Windows Start>Documents>My Games>Skyrim to find them.

But if you've never actually found these files it means you've never actually consciously edited them. So the chances of the UGridsToLoad variable being an issue is pretty slim.

One thing you can do is delete the Skyrim.ini/SkyrimPrefs.ini, and the Skyrim_default.ini, then in Steam, right click on the game in your games list and chose Properties, go to the Local Files tab, then click the Verify Integrity of Game Cache button. This will take a few minutes but it will then replace the Skyrim_Default.ini file with a default version, then starting Skyrim again will generate a new SkyrimPrefs.ini and Skyrim.ini in your Documents/My Games/Skyrim folder.

OK, pr0 - you got me there. Yes, I have probably too many mods. I never have figured out the proper load order. I will take your suggestion. Hold on, I see the problem, I no longer have a skyrim.esm!! Don't know how that happened. I guess I'll have to re-install.

If you have somehow deleted the Skyrim.esm masterfile then yes, an immediate crash after the Bethesda logo would be an obvious result of such. How that might have happened is not something I can really forward an opinion on. I've never simply lost a master file for any Bethesda game.

As an info have found that every now and then with 1.5 when go into the section to select mods provided by the game will get a hickup shall we say and when does it turns off skyrim.esm. has happened to me a couple times so never use that anymore and stick to NMM or Wrye Bash for this function. Info only.

As an info have found that every now and then with 1.5 when go into the section to select mods provided by the game will get a hickup shall we say and when does it turns off skyrim.esm. has happened to me a couple times so never use that anymore and stick to NMM or Wrye Bash for this function. Info only.

This could be a causative factor, I'm unaware of this as I've been using GEMM/NMM/BOSS for managing my load order and not using the stock launcher Data Files utility.