"skyrim has stopped working" windows error PLEASE HELP!

Ark0th

Hi everyone. I've been playing TESV for a while now with mods with no issues that couldn't be resolved either by mod order or disabling uninstalling mods. However, this morning when I launched TESV windows gave me this error "Skyrim has stopped working" after hitting play from the launcher. I had made no changes from the previous night, in which the game was working fine. I have tried restarting computer, checking the integrity of the game cache, system restores, pretty much everything except a full blown re-installation of Skyrim. I will be trying that soon, but I've read from the sparse information online that many with this problem reinstalling doesn't fix it.

Here is the event viewer log:

Faulting application TESV.exe, version 1.5.26.0, time stamp 0x4f6c9333, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 6.0.6002.18449, time stamp 0x4da47a32, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00012567, process id 0x514, application start time 0x01cd0dec302158bf.

with the faulting module as kernel32.dll, it leaves me to believe that something is corrupted unrelated to Skyrim? I dunno, that's why I'm asking for help. Please help, I would like to be able to keep playing this amazing game :(

Thank you all in advance.

Hi everyone. I've been playing TESV for a while now with mods with no issues that couldn't be resolved either by mod order or disabling uninstalling mods. However, this morning when I launched TESV windows gave me this error "Skyrim has stopped working" after hitting play from the launcher. I had made no changes from the previous night, in which the game was working fine. I have tried restarting computer, checking the integrity of the game cache, system restores, pretty much everything except a full blown re-installation of Skyrim. I will be trying that soon, but I've read from the sparse information online that many with this problem reinstalling doesn't fix it.

Here is the event viewer log:

Faulting application TESV.exe, version 1.5.26.0, time stamp 0x4f6c9333, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 6.0.6002.18449, time stamp 0x4da47a32, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00012567, process id 0x514, application start time 0x01cd0dec302158bf.

with the faulting module as kernel32.dll, it leaves me to believe that something is corrupted unrelated to Skyrim? I dunno, that's why I'm asking for help. Please help, I would like to be able to keep playing this amazing game :(

Thank you all in advance.

you seem to have a corupted file or a registry...,

so first i suggest you to make something easy, (put tesv.exe in a standing folder for the time of the test, after make a validation of your local cache, they will give you a new tes.exe

retry to play to view if all are ok...

(if you have ccleaner make a clean of you registry too)

Edited by AngeGardien

Hey, thanks for the reply. I did just try what you suggested but to no avail. I am in the process of cleaning my registry at the moment. I just don't understand what could have gotten corrupted since I didn't change anything from when it worked to when it didn't work. Oh well, damn computers..

AgonyOfLife, I love you. This worked, I did have scriptdragon installed but its version 1.5.24 - I disabled it and now it works fine again. Sometimes the simple solutions are the ones overlooked.. thanks again!

Do you have Script Dragon installed? If yes, go to the installation directory of skyrim (Program Files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim) and remove/rename the file 'dinput8.dll'.

Then wait for an update of Script Dragon for 1.5.26

Have fun.

Hey good !!!, how do you find it's this programs they make thing like that ???, an another question, i don't know this scrip dragon but for the thing i have read it's seen they are like skse no?,

Hey good !!!, how do you find it's this programs they make thing like that ???, an another question, i don't know this scrip dragon but for the thing i have read it's seen they are like skse no?,

After skyrim updated, I got the same error message as mentioned in the OP. And because all 'common' mods (*.esp-files and files that are installed in the 'data' folder) are handled internally by the game, they wouldn't be able to trigger a kernel-error of the main executable.

So it had to be a file that interferes with the tesv.exe itself. And I've got only three 'mods' that can do that:

skse, using the "skse_X_X_XX.dll" and "skse_steam_loader.dll"

RCRN v21 HDR - Realistic Colors and Real Nights, that uses the 'd3d9.dll' file

and Script Dragon, using 'dinput8.dll' and "ScriptDragon.dll"

And due to friendly programming, skse pops up a warning message in the shell if versions are incompatible.

So either RCRN or Script Dragon ... the rest was trial and error ;)

And yeah, skse and script dragon appear to be pretty similar on the first glance. However, they are very very differently written and inherit functions the other script doesn't have and the mods created for these scripts have to be written specifically for one of those two script languages.

But I'm really not into scripting and that stuff, so I maybe completely wrong ;)

• 2 months later...

Hey, thanks for the reply. I did just try what you suggested but to no avail. I am in the process of cleaning my registry at the moment. I just don't understand what could have gotten corrupted since I didn't change anything from when it worked to when it didn't work. Oh well, damn computers..

hi there agony, just wanted to give a thank you as well. i had this problem also and happened across this post. i just updated my skse thx to one of gophers great videos but i still couldn't play. however all is well now . so tyvm again.

• 8 months later...