less CTDs maybe none

fruitgnome

what format are the reports in and how do you view them :/ mine are in an unkown format i think

They are all text. Open them in Notepad or your favorite text viewer.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you!

Changing the ini file reduced the CTDs and eliminated the lag I was having, and by using the logging functionality I was able to determine what script was causing the last few CTDs. Having a game that doesn't crash every 30 minutes is nice.

Attention! Only because of a script is the last one you see in the log before CTD or freeze doesn't have to be the reason for that (tried many times)!

Edit: To another post! CR04BrutePreQuestScript belongs to original Skyrim!

If you will play and not test the game disable the logging options, cause this take performance and the logs can be so big that editor cannot open them!

Here my values for now but not testing a lot time!

[Papyrus]

fUpdateBudgetMS=1000 <-- This value higher by CTDs or freezing while not at loading screens!

fExtraTaskletBudgetMS=1000 <-- This value higher by CTDs or freezing while not at loading screens!

fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=2000 <-- This value would I higher if I have crashes at loading screens (between entering new cell)!

iMinMemoryPageSize=256

iMaxMemoryPageSize=512

iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=9830400 high value not really these are 9 MB and because of mods like Frostfall which is continuously do something I think it's ok!

Edited by fruitgnome

Ok, so my game started crashing again, but this time, it's whenever I try and load a save. Upon checking my Papyrus logs, it seems that my .ini modifications haven't taken effect for whatever reason. The update budget is shown as 800 whereas the ini is set at 1000. The load screen budget is shown correctly at 2000, but the minimum and maximum page sizes, along with the allocated memory are showing the default of 256, 512 and 2457600 as opposed to 10000, 500000 and 1800000000 respectively. Is there some other location that Skyrim gets some of these settings from apart from C:\Users\Username\Documents\My Games\Skyrim?

At me are the values in the log the same like in the Skyrim.ini.

[04/04/2012 - 03:13:53PM] Update budget: 1000.000000ms (Extra tasklet budget: 1000.000000ms, Load screen budget: 2000.000000ms)

[04/04/2012 - 03:13:53PM] Memory page: 256 (min) 512 (max) 9830400 (max total) these are 9,4 MB perhaps already to much?!

Edited by fruitgnome

Ok, so my game started crashing again, but this time, it's whenever I try and load a save. Upon checking my Papyrus logs, it seems that my .ini modifications haven't taken effect for whatever reason. The update budget is shown as 800 whereas the ini is set at 1000. The load screen budget is shown correctly at 2000, but the minimum and maximum page sizes, along with the allocated memory are showing the default of 256, 512 and 2457600 as opposed to 10000, 500000 and 1800000000 respectively. Is there some other location that Skyrim gets some of these settings from apart from C:\Users\Username\Documents\My Games\Skyrim?

This is mine,identical as in my Skyrim.ini

[04/04/2012 - 05:47:19PM] Papyrus log opened (PC)

[04/04/2012 - 05:47:19PM] Update budget: 1.200000ms (Extra tasklet budget: 1.200000ms, Load screen budget: 1000.000000ms)

[04/04/2012 - 05:47:19PM] Memory page: 100000 (min) 5000000 (max) 1800000000 (max total)

<the log is in : C:\Users\(Username)\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Logs\Script\

@ fruitgnome

About budgets..:

In the CK page says : "...increasing this value may improve script performance at the cost of reduced game framerate"

Did you see any fps loss?? (or anyone else?)

Edited by spanian77

I notice no fps loss! I think the Papyrus things are worked by CPU and RAM and only less by GPU.

To these values, cause of you "[04/04/2012 - 05:47:19PM] Memory page: 100000 (min) 5000000 (max) 1800000000 (max total)" (I saw these values in many forums) but I try to explain these values:

iMinMemoryPageSize Default: 128

-"This is the smallest amount of memory the VM will allocate for a single stack page, in bytes. Smaller values will waste less memory on small stacks, but larger values will reduce the number of allocations for stacks with many small frames (which improves performance)."

-> I understand by this, this is the smallest size (I think it's bytes) of RAM space which is used for "ONE THING", the vm should calculate. Because of the default value by 128 I think 100.000 is to much(this would be the 781 multi amount of 128). I try to show this with a "picture".

x = the ONE THING, that should be calculated

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

|---x---128---|---------------------------------x-------------------------100.000-------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So for what should the ONE THING to have so much place???!

iMaxMemoryPageSize Default: 512

-"This is the largest amount of memory the VM will allocate for a single stack page, in bytes. Smaller values may force the VM to allocate more pages for large stack frames. Larger values may cause the memory allocator to allocate differently, decreasing performance for large stack frames."

-> This should be the maximum space for the ONE THING.

So for what should the ONE THING to have so much place???!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------x-----------------------------------------------

|------------5.000.000 (the 50 multi min size!!!) These are 4882 Kilobytes and these are 4,7 Megabytes!----------------------------------------------------------------

|.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

|.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes Default: 76800 (75kb)

-"This is the maximum amount of memory the VM will allocate in total for stack frames. If an allocation would push memory usage over this limit, the VM will instead wait for more memory to be freed. Increasing this value may improve performance in high-stress situations with lots of scripts running, but will use more memory. Note that it is possible to exceed this value temporarily while loading a save game due to slightly different allocation ordering."

-> This is the total amount of RAM for using scripts! 1.800.000.000 Bytes are 1757812 Kilobytes are 1717 Megabytes are 1,7 Gigabytes! 1,7 Gigabytes to calculate scripts! OMG!

And I mean that all these 3 values should be divisible by 64!

I don't gurantee to have right with this but what is standing in quatationns is from see my start post!

Write your opinions!!

Edited by fruitgnome

Thank you!

Changing the ini file reduced the CTDs and eliminated the lag I was having, and by using the logging functionality I was able to determine what script was causing the last few CTDs. Having a game that doesn't crash every 30 minutes is nice.

Attention! Only because of a script is the last one you see in the log before CTD or freeze doesn't have to be the reason for that (tried many times)!

Thanks, but I'm quite aware of that. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

So, what you're saying is that you were running an x86 system, and Skyrim would constantly crash with various other bugs in-game (I for one can second the crashes, but not the textures). But then once you upgraded to an x64 system, Skyrim runs fine?

Well, that's an expensive fix if you ask me. A Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade x86/x64 costs $219.99 on the MS Store. But then, I'm already running Ultimate x86, so I'm fairly sure I'd have to buy the full version, which is $319.99.

However much I'd like to upgrade to an x64 system, dropping $300+ to fix a game sounds a little bit over the top, don't you think? TBH I'd much prefer to keep trying alternative fixes and tweaks until I can get my version playable. I'm happy, and partly jealous, of you for getting your game to work. I'm also regretful for choosing an x86 over an x64 when I had my system built. :sigh:

To the best of my knowledge, Windows does not distinguish between x64 and x86 for the purposes of license validation. In other words, get a hold of a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 install disk, and then use your serial when installing. Should work fine. Last I checked, if you started the install process from within Windows, it even lets you "Upgrade" to the same version, but this might not work with a non-upgrade serial number.... have not tested that.