Is civic literacy your responsibility

myrmaad

Funny, I'm pretty sure I missed those same ones, and for the same reasons... :tongue: I definitely should have known the revenues answer. I am just slipping a tad in my old age. Ah well, I guess I don't mind too much... :teehee:

I only got: You answered 28 out of 33 correctly — 84.85 %

I totally guessed loads of them though. Just got lucky.

I also goofed the easiest question on there some how lol.

Name two countries that were our enemies during World War II.

Your Answer: China and Russia

Correct Answer: Germany and Japan

I contest this one I got wrong:

Which of the following fiscal policy combinations has the federal government most often followed to stimulate economic activity when the economy is in a severe recession?

Your Answer: increasing both taxes and spending

Correct Answer: decreasing taxes and increasing spending

I know the UK government has that completely ass about face lol. What are your taxes like at the moment guys? been lowered at all? In the UK mine hasn't, I've had everything from council tax raises to sales tax raises. It's a trick question :tongue:

Can we make it a requirement to pass this test before voting or serving in a public office? I don't feel like passing would be a ridiculous standard, but still high enough to demand a level of civic understanding.

(I scored a 90.9%, missed three, not a bad score, in my opinion.)

Before someone says anything about literacy tests being outlawed as a requirement for voting, I'd be all for making it an option to take the test orally if literacy is your only barrier. Shoot, I'd say we even give it to them in their native language, if English fluency is an issue too. We're a multi-cultural, multi-lingual country, and not everyone is 100% proficient in English, as we (technically) have no official language, I suppose we can't (legally) require them to speak 'our' language fluently. (Although, it seems some officials disagree, due to the issue with the woman who wanted to run for Governor.)

I agree you both did great!

RZ, I know, right? I don't see it happening but it does seem like it would help us in the long run. It would probably be easily abused, and compared to Jim Crow, politically.

Ghogiel I think you did great considering you don't even live here.

And yes, I had to think about that question but the wording was such that they were looking for the "most often used approach" and I was able to remember the correct answer. It's not the most advocated approach, which is why it is confusing, I think.

Oh and in answer to your question, currently our taxes have been lowered dramatically. They've always been lowered during recessions for as long as I remember which includes the Reagan Recession, a small recession during Bush 1, a small recession during Clinton 1st term, and right now.

And yes, I had to think about that question but the wording was such that they were looking for the "most often used approach" and I was able to remember the correct answer. It's not the most advocated approach, which is why it is confusing, I think.

I know what policy is advocated in promoting growth during a recession, I just didn't believe it was ever followed. :P

And I really did guess a lot of those. I suppose I had inklings and what have you, and did go to school in the states. I went in thinking there is no chance getting a decent score though. It doesn't accurately represent my general american civic knowledge. I didn't think a lot of the questions would judge someone's competency in a particular office either. Unless it was really low or something, in which case just IQ test them or something.

Edited by Ghogiel

I know what policy is advocated in promoting growth during a recession, I just didn't believe it was ever followed. :P

I dithered on that one also because I was uncertain whether it was the recipe in the 30's..so I relied on exam logic and eliminated the off the wall ones and went with what was recent policy.

I do anything for cookies ...

Langauge and some Ignorance about American legislation/History aside ( I apologise for my ignorance but I learned a bit or two from the test)

I scored : 66.67 % 22 out of 33 So you have a bit of understanding how a non english speaking normal human being from a foreign country would answer and score.

Some serve translation misunderstandings and struggles with my own stupidity as well included.:facepalm::biggrin:

At least I'm not totally ignorant to learn things I didn't know. (I'm a old dog that is still capable to learn new tricks)

I got the Roosevelt Counter action of 1935 question wrong. At least my error was shown in the end result so I can improve on it ( only one example where i went wrong, and i dotn have such a firm grip on American political history as most Americans )

Flooding control gave me a loot of hassle becasue it is very different form the term we uses in my country which has in my country a completely different reasoning and completely different meaning and activities behind it. There I went with my stomach in prospect of a cookie.

You answered 27 out of 33 correctly — 81.82 %

I consider this an okay result for a non-American who was given only a cursory glance of American history and politics in school. Made a stupid mistake on the Lincoln/Douglas debate. :sweat: