Is civic literacy your responsibility

myrmaad

Hells bells, I am surprised!

You answered 30 out of 33 correctly — 90.91 %

Not bad for a non American, although I have to admit to taking an educated guess with large helping of common sense at some of them.

Interesting that so many of you scored high when you always talk against spending during bad economic times...

Also that table blows my mind. How could around 20 percent of the country not know that the president is the commander in chief?

Also something that honestly scares me is how many people got "Source of phrase “a wall of separation” wrong. That is a huge majority of the country that did not know that. Over 80 percent.

Edited by marharth

Interesting that so many of you scored high when you always talk against spending during bad economic times...

Also that table blows my mind. How could around 20 percent of the country not know that the president is the commander in chief?

Also something that honestly scares me is how many people got "Source of phrase “a wall of separation” wrong. That is a huge majority of the country that did not know that. Over 80 percent.

I'm not surprised in the least. People are great at using these key words and phrases that have a certain mentality associated with it, regardless of what the original intentions or source may have been.

I'm not surprised in the least. People are great at using these key words and phrases that have a certain mentality associated with it, regardless of what the original intentions or source may have been.

That is a fair point, but what about so many people not knowing about the president?

Took the test and got a 93.94%. Missed 2 of 33 questions. As to one being responsible for ones own civic education on the candidates and public policy, we are indeed responsible for our own self-education in such matters.

p.s. I actually got the "Wall of Separation" question right that Marharth thought was so wierd that 80% of the public failed. I do not think it too hard to believe that people do so badly on such tests, because most people don't think their vote counts, so they do not consider that educating themselves matters either. Sad, really, considering that their future, and the future of their decendants, count on the way they help the country progress by voting for the candidates of their choice today.

I am impressed with the scores of our non American participants and think they have done better at our civics quiz than I might have done if the roles were reversed, well done.

Edited by Aurielius