LONG LOAD SCREENS FIXED!

Saphinator

So, I'm sure some of us have had trouble with Skyrim being laggy? That our systems are not 'quite' fast enough to keep up sometimes?

A part of this issue, could be very long loading screens, ESPECIALLY when fast traveling or logging in, right? I know I've had that issue for AGES! Being forced to leave the computer and come back 10 minutes later, and it's STILL loading, before it finally opens up at the 15 min mark.

I got sick of it, and started to try experimenting...

And I found a fantastic solution, that requires NO mods, no risk taking, absolute zero problems on your part.

Here's what you do:

(NOTE: I did this on VISTA, I dont know if it works as flawlessly on XP or 7, let me know please?)

1) Get into a loading screen you're SURE will take FOREVER!( Such as a fast travel )

2) Push Ctrl+Alt+Delete

3) It should open up the page where you can decide to change your password, open task manager etc.

4) Open the task manager

5) The screen should turn black

6) Sit and wait for a maximum of 10 seconds

7) Bam, Skyrim opens, and the Loading Screen is done.

That simple, just CTRL ALT DEL and open the task manager while you're in a loading screen. Plain and simple!

This has completely removed my irritation with loading screens, as they're now a reasonable length! :D

Minor issue: I've seen a rough etched 2% chance of your game crashing to Desktop when you do this(Seems to happen a lot if you have a browser open). My advice is the golden rule of Elder Scrolls gaming: SAVE OFTEN!!!!!

Good luck, and have fun! :D

Doesn't work with XP =( My game just flickers rapidly between the desktop and the game. I cannot choose anything. But I've never sat for the 15 minute mark. I just assumed the game had... get ready for it... LOCKED ... (gasp! Not Skyrim!)... =P

This is such a strange bug. I've never had a load screen last more than 20 seconds in Skyrim and my system isn't anything special, aside from the 4.1 GHz CPU overclock. No fancy SSD; just a 7200 rpm SATA. Although, I do keep my HDD spotless and usually reformat every 60-90 days. I wonder if that has anything to do with it? On the other hand, I used to play Total War: Shogun 2 and that game would take a solid 5 minutes just to launch to the main menu. Edited by RSnider

This is such a strange bug. I've never had a load screen last more than 20 seconds in Skyrim and my system isn't anything special, aside from the 4.1 GHz CPU overclock. No fancy SSD; just a 7200 rpm SATA. Although, I do keep my HDD spotless and usually reformat every 60-90 days. I wonder if that has anything to do with it? On the other hand, I used to play Total War: Shogun 2 and that game would take a solid 5 minutes just to launch to the main menu.

Reformating occurred to me this morning. It may be the next step.

Try updating your graphics card, I had those long loading screens too until I upgraded from an Nvidia Geforce 210 to an ATI Radeon HD 6570, so upgrade to a better card is my suggestion, the card I upgraded to didnt cost that much either, only about 65 bucks.

I found ou that my loading times really only seem to be related to texture mods I use. With unmodded Skyrim, I will get 10 second loading screens (of course this depends on the location), the HD DLC seemed to have no or minimal impact. But recently I tried Realistic Overhaul and my loading times wen't up to like 30-40 seconds.

Maybe this information is helfpul to somebody here...

• 8 months later...

Ok, so I know this is an old thread but I figured I would update with what I had found. Although this is a good quick solution, in windows 7 it sometimes leaves a mouse loading circle in the game that is very distracting since its moves at a different rate then the in-game cross-hair. The solution that I figured out and that got me back down to regular load-times is....*drum-roll please!*......reinstall your video drivers. Basically, either install a slightly older version(what I did) or you can just reinstall your current version.

I really hope this helps everyone looking for an answer to this, because I was actually trying to figure out how to fix it myself for the past few days and none of the answers online were helping. I literally tried everything from clearing the game cache by waiting in game, to deleting and re-downloading the whole game, and when that didn't help I even tried changing my hardware setting on my computer.

Hope that reinstalling the drivers helps with your problems and Happy Skyrimming!

• 5 months later...

the extent of my knowledge of this error goes as below.

-The error is directy associated with memory, usually graphical memory, taken up by skyrim. it reaches a breaking point where loading jumps from 20 seconds to eternity (literally infinite, I've tested for 12 hours, others have tested for longer, with it still loading-certain cases may not be this long)

-the Taskmanager "fix" (remedy) is likely to A. CTD the game or B. give you that horrid little second cursor (which also means that you need to quit, start up again and hope the remedy doesn't cause either of these).

-extended note: take note of your original loading time(e.g. 10 seconds). now, if you suffer the bug; wait until after the original loading time is up, and perform the remedy; the cursor is guaranteed to appear. if you Attempt to do it as fast as possible, the cursor is less likely to appear.

Possible fixes to this problem you can perform:

-A, clean up your Graphics card and driver. this may mean get a graphics card that isn't a repurposed car exhaust like the geforce 300 or lower series etc. (not nessescary if your graphics card is up to standard) you may need to change your processor as well

then Check to make sure your graphics drivers are up to date and satisfactory. perform a "clean Install" if you want.

-Doing this sometimes fixes the problem (and helps it run better in general)

-B ramp your graphics down. Most people suffer this bug because they decided to nerf their framerate.

-C recall any mods you downloaded since you first experienced the bug and uncheck them from your "data files" in the standard skyrim launcher particularly Graphics mods. Now is also as good a time as any to uninstall all unnesecary mods like those thousand daedric armor reskins you have there.

-D if C fails, Uncheck or even uninstall All of your mods and run skyrim oppan vanilla style.

-if you are still experiencing the bug in oppan vanilla style there is one of two things you can do:

-Read the first f*#@ing step that you decide to ignore and get that piece of s#*! GPU/Processor out of your tower

-Reinstall the game from scratch, load mods slowly until you see the bug, ad then narrow down until you find the bug-causing mod and submit a bug report (or flag it if its yet another daedric armor reskin; the less of those, the better)

If all of that fails

Check if any other programs are running when you run skyrim vanilla; the more ram consumed elsewhere cant be spent on skyrim. Shut these down if you can. if the error still continues i.e. if they're windows processes; stop being a hipster and get a version of windows that works/isnt XP. Macs should update their software.( for hipsters Linux users, you're completely on your own.).

you can then get the RAZER Game Booster or equivalent to temp pause these processes when you play skyrim.

There are also, buggy, hard to install extra-memory patches for skyrim that you can use at your own risk. these rarely work, and those that do, probably cause more wasted memory than the amount they're supposed to free up.

IF ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY EVERYTHING ABOVE FAILS

Congratulations, you are part of the small percentage of gamers who have computers made out of pure magic. instead of playing skyrim, you should actually be in skyrim. now go take some poorly aimed archery shots to your lower anatomy on an adventure and stop worrying about a game from an alternate universe.

HOPE THIS BLUNTLY HELPS