purple textures and CTD within 15 minutes

neok182

to be honest i'm not sure when this crap all started but it was sometime around trying to install skyboost and increase my uigridstoload. this was a couple months ago and i just recently came back to the game. I restored my backup ini's for the uigridstoload, and as far as i can tell i removed everything from skyboost and tesval.

But now i'm getting purple textures and eventually CTD (no error) in about 15-30 minutes of gameplay. quickest was just a few minutes ago took only 5 minutes for it to happen.

I never had any of these issues in november or december. just in january when i started messing around with those mods, and now it's ridiculously bad. I also do have FXAA running, the first one that showed up on the nexus, though it's gone now. but i had a black screen crash every once and a while but nothing like this.

so i'm looking preferably a way to fix this without reinstalling my game (i have about 40 mods installed and don't feel like trying to reinstall them.)

If i have to reinstall, so be it, but i'm only willing to do that if i know it's going to fix my issues. As far as i know i'm on the latest patch. at least steam says i am.

My specs if it helps.

Windows 7 32bit

AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core 6000+ 3.01Ghz

4GB DDR2 RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5

i know it's not the best, but it ran skyrim just fine for me before.

i've also spent the last week looking up on google different purple texture and CTD topics on forums and honestly didn't find any help of value. and the few things i did find, run as administrator, and other windows tweaks did nothing.

really hope someone can help me out here, or at least give me a guarantee that a reinstall will fix my issues.

Purple textures means the texture failed to load, which is common of running out of video memory. Are you using the Bethesda Hi-Res DLC pack? That pack will devour 1GB of video memory in no time at all, especially if you're not running Vano89's hi-res optimization mod (http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=9080). Are you running any other mods at all? If so, try disabling all mods and see if you still have problems.

Is it always the same textures that are purple or is it random?

Maybe if your problem are some objects in the game was covered in purple color, try to use Hionimi and krist2's mod "HD Textures DLC Fix"

(http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=8236)

I ever had a purple texture bug on wood chopping table object in the game (after newly installed HiRes Texture DLC), and then after I downloaded and installed the mod, it solved.

Edited by JetRock

I'm not running the HD pack unless somehow steam did it on it's own. just checked and it says no downloadable content installed.

I do have some new armors and weapons with 1k-2k textures. and i've installed a texture mod for the water and ice, but only 1k, never more than that because i know it probably won't handle it. But i've had these mods running almost since launch and the texture issues started well after.

my issues are also with random textures. seems to be the triss outfit and dawnbreaker sword doing it the most, but it'll also happen in houses and caves that i enter as well.

i read something about purge cell buffers. gonna try that. but i'll gladly take any ideas. my video card is 1GB so i somehow doubt that a few high res armors, water and ice could be causing this.

Random purple textures is indicative of running out of texture memory. It almost sounds like you might have a memory leak somewhere. Corrupt files could be playing havok with your system resources, which would explain why the problem seems to be getting worse. Have you considered reformatting? I like to keep my HDD as empty as possible, so I can reformat whenever without having to backup dozens of gigs of data. Keeps everything running clean and smooth and without a ton of unnecessary crap, a full reformat/OS install can be completed in a couple hours. Significantly less with decent disk imaging software.

well i have 4 hard drives. skyrim is not on my C drive with windows it's on a 500GB D drive i use for games. which is currently at 350GB. But that hasn't changed really since it came out. haven't installed anything else to that drive.

i have another drive thats smaller and isn't as filled up, i could probably move everything on that one to another drive and then reformat that one and move steam and everything over there. though to be honest, i don't really see that doing anything.

i can't do an OS reinstall right now. too many projects for school and i can't be without this computer. so thats just out of the question basically until summer.

I'm going to try and remove some of the mods i installed in january including skse and see what happens.

well i just removed skse and any remnants of skyboost/tesval which were all installed around the time this started happening.

and no change.

only other thing i can think of is the fxaa mod possibly screwing with the patch. but i don't have the original download anymore, and the file i did download is removed from the nexus so i don't know how to uninstall that to check.

Kinda hoping this is the issue because i've seen newer mods that give the same color settings without requiring fxaa anymore.