Asus USB 3.0 EXTREMELY Slow - Please Help!

I built a new pc last year. The motherboard I purchased (Asus M4A88T-V) is USB 3.0 compatible. At the time, I didn't care about USB 3.0 one way or the other, because I understood it was backwards compatible with USB 2.0. All my devices are USB 2.0, so the USB 3.0 was a moot point, really. However, after assembling all the components, installing XP 32 bit, and installing all the drivers (including the USB drivers), I plugged in my external hard drive to transfer my files and got an unexpected message from Windows:

"The USB mass storage device is a Hi-Speed usb device and will function at reduced speed when plugged into a non-Hi-Speed port."

The transfer rates were utterly pathetic. Pathetic as in 0.76 MB/s. That's not a typo. It took over an hour to transfer a 3 GB folder. It didn't take long for me to get fed up with it and I used another pc to transfer all my files to an old 40 gig internal HDD on its last leg so I could bypass the USB interface on my new computer.

As time went on, I got used to using the spare internal HDD to transfer files, but physically removing the drive and installing it in my other pc just to transfer files is getting old. More importantly, theres no telling how long this HDD is going to last, especially with it being moved around constantly, so it's critical that I get this stupid USB situation sorted out before the HDD dies and takes all my backup data with it.

All my drivers are up to date. In the BIOS, USB legacy is set to Auto (my only keyboard and mouse are both USB, so I don't dare disable USB legacy). I've tried changing the BIOS settings from Hi-Speed to Full-Speed, which did nothing. I've tried plugging into each of the 6 USB ports and it doesn't matter if it's a standard USB port or a USB 3.0 port, it still transfers extremely slowly.

The problem is definitely not the external devices, because the pc behaves the same way whether its an external HDD, a digital camera, a card reader, or a thumb drive. Conversely, when I connect the exact same devices to my other PC, they transfer at full USB 2.0 speeds (which feels blisteringly fast after waiting on the crap USB 3.0 transfers).

It's been like this since day one. I'm at a complete loss as to how to fix it and, like I mentioned earlier, my "transfer" HDD is barely hanging on. It doesn't even spin up half the time when I turn on the PC. Eventually, its going to stop spinning up entirely and all my data will be gone if I don't get this USB issue resolved. Any advice or direction will be greatly appreciated and hugely helpful. Thank you in advance.

Nevermind! I started digging around in the device manager and found 2 yellow question marks. I clicked "update driver" and Windows found and installed the appropriate driver. That's the last bloody time I ever trust an OEM driver disc to actually perform the task it was made to do. This was my first experience with an Asus product and I must say, I'm quite disappointed by the overall product.

I can't believe I was about to pull my hair out over something that was so easy to fix.

With asus you always have to go to the website and download the drivers there.

The same goes for any graphics cards

that really goes for almost any computer product you buy, from any company. throw the disk in a hole and go directly tot he website.

Edited by hoofhearted4

Whether a typo or not, it's an excellent piece of advice for just about every situation in life. Well, except for the website part, that one is optional.

bahaahahahaha yes, it was a typo, and i would leave it because as FMod said, it is a very good motto for life in general, but i shall fix it for the sake of a clean forum!

just goes to show, even when i do mess up, im still awesome. :thumbsup:

Ideally, you should be getting the drivers from the website before you even begin building the PC using a previous PC to get them. Have the drivers a USB drive and install them before connecting to the internet. If you don't have another PC to get the drivers from the manufacturer's website and have to rely on the disk, get the chipset, audio(unless you have a discrete sound card,) and network drivers from the disc, then go to the website and update them and all the other drivers. The drivers on the disc might not be the most up to date, but they are almost always better than Microsoft's basic drivers.