NMM and BOSS?

Commando1701

Is there a way to order the mods? They show listed alphabetically, and I'm assuming they would then be loaded in that order. Is there any way to change it manually?

2 tabs. Mods and Plugins. Mods show alphabetical. Plug-ins are where your load order is specified and modified

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old discussion, but I was wondering if I could install mods from Nexus and order them with BOSS, without NMM. Would that be a good thing or not? The only experience I have with downloading mods is from the Steam Workshop, so forgive my ignorance. Also, if it's not too much trouble, could you detail how to properly install a mod from Skyrim Nexus? Or give me a link or something?

• 2 weeks later...

@Brickerman300 Yes you can! In fact that is how most use it. First you download and install mods through NMM. the mods will list under the Plugin tab in the order you install them. after you've installed all you want, run BOSS (make sure it's the latest version) which will end with a new internet page that describes the results. then simply restart NMM using the refresh button on the top right, and you'll find the plugin order has been adjusted according to the BOSS list. of course boss won't recognize all plugins so you will have to organize some manually, but it's worth the task. also between conflicting mods the lower one always wins, so you can place things according to the part you want to keep

I think he was asking if BOSS can be used without using NMM at all, madcow. Which of course you can. All BOSS does is compare your installed .esp files with a master list of files compiled by its contributors, and put it in the order said contributors have worked out is generally best. How those plugins got there is irrelevant to BOSS, it just tells Skyrim in which order to load them.

That being said, manual installation could be a little overwhelming for someone who's only ever used the Steam Workshop (*spit*). You may want to abandon the Workshop (*spit*) entirely andgive NMM a try instead. Almost any mod available there is here on the Nexus as well and then some, and NMM makes installing and removing mods with loose files much easier. It keeps track of which files came from which mods, which means you can uninstall entire mods with just a click.

Edited by Hyacathusarullistad