Skyrim constantly crashing with no apparent cause

Dan3345

I recently reinstalled skyrim and noticed after doing so that my game continues to crash at random. Sometimes it crashes when I am loading a save, sometimes it crashes in the middle of playing. Every crash has no "TESV has stopped working" it simply goes straight to desktop, almost as if I quit the game. I have reinstalled skyrim eight times since finding this issue, and each time have tried playing on a new save with 0 mods installed or active. The crashing still continues. In fact, I just tested it AGAIN, and with ZERO mods installed and a new save I can't even get past the beginning part where Alduin appears.

I have now reinstalled skyrim 8 times in the last two days, my only theory is that this could possibly be a software conflict but I have no idea what would cause that.

Anyways here is my load order, all hand typed since NMM doesn't seem to have a way to copy it to the clipboard. Please note this load order is only what I had activated before the crashing began. This crashing only started after I reinstalled the game. Which was only reinstalled initially because I changed my computers mobo and CPU from AMD to Intel and Asus. And I know what your thinking. "Did you properly erase the HDD before hand?" And I believe the answer is yes as I installed the OS (windows 7) over everything, which erases all old content and basically leaves a fresh and clean HDD.

So anyways here is my load order:

Skyrim.esm

Update.esm

ApachiiHair.esm

SkyrimURWL.esp

StaticMeshImprovementMod.esp

Crimson Tide - Blood.esp

WeaponsOf3E.esp

WATER.esp

WATER - Get Wet.esp

SameWalkRunSpeedsLite.esp (merged into bashed patch so not active)

UnlimitedBookshelves.esp

CityForestV2_6.esp

Spousetocustomhome.esp

UFO - Ultimate Follower Overhaul.esp

FollowerWander2.esp

bashed Patch, 0.esp

Please remember that my game crashes still with all of these mods OFF, and on a new clean save. So none of these mods could possibly be the cause of the crashing.

Now I am not sure it is relevant, but since this only really began after modifying my computer I will place my new computer specs below:

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 Motherboard

i5 2500K @ 4.3ghz (stable)

Corsair Vengeance 8gb's @ 1600mhz

1 Terabyte HDD Hitachi

950 Watt Silencer MK II

MSI Twin Frozr 6950 2gb xfire

And not that it really matters but just so you don't blame my CPU overheating with that overclock I have a Corsair H80 heatsink on it.

That's all, I could really use some help or advice as I am completely stumped. My video cards are on 12.3. I haven't tried rolling back to 12.2 which was the last driver set I was stable on.

Edited by Dan3345

I hate to bump especially when this isn't even on the second page yet but I am still having issues.

I have now installed it for the 9th time, and I rolled back my drivers to 12.2. Nothing is working.

The problem seems to be a crash on load of any save. Its almost as if whatever handles save games in skyrim is broken, and so every single save is being corrupted the second its made.

At this point because of this situation the game is completely unplayable. How am I supposed to play when I cannot save?

I have found no solution and it still remains that none of my mods listed above are the root cause of this. Please if anyone has any idea whats going on I would love to hear it.

I don't know about Skyrim with this issue, but I believe I read about Oblivion doing that after multiple reinstalls. I'm very sure I read that on UESP wiki somewhere for Oblivion, and if there was a fix it may work for Skyrim.

Go to C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\Documents\My Games\Skyrim

Open skyrim.ini, and check for [Papyrus] section. If it's not present, just create one at the end of the file.

Add iMinMemoryPageSize=100000 and iMaxMemoryPageSize=5000000

Add iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=1800000000

WARNING! Do not increase iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes value, because memory fragmentation may cause the game to crash or freeze.

copy and pasted from steam forums

without this i get crashing every 5 minuets. with it i have had NONE

Huh, I've started seeing this issue recently as well. Can be wandering around doing just about anything and suddenly... *bip!* back to the desktop. On one or two rare occasions it actually does spawn a "TESV.exe has stopped working" which then points at atiumdag.dll as the culprit. Honestly not sure if the two types of crashes are at all related. Nothing I've poked at seems to help, either. XD

Try setting the affinity for Skyrim in the task manager to only 2 CPU cores. Just open the task manager while playing, find TESV.exe in the Processes list, right-click on it, click Set Affinity, check the boxes so that there's only 2 cores selected, and click OK. I've had mine set that way for months and have had hardly any crashes. I just recently tried enabling all 4 cores on my CPU and the game crashed directly to desktop about a minute later so it might be the reason for it. Edited by Ransu90

Try setting the affinity for Skyrim in the task manager to only 2 CPU cores. Just open the task manager while playing, find TESV.exe in the Processes list, right-click on it, click Set Affinity, check the boxes so that there's only 2 cores selected, and click OK. I've had mine set that way for months and have had hardly any crashes. I just recently tried enabling all 4 cores on my CPU and the game crashed directly to desktop about a minute later so it might be the reason for it.

Perhaps this can help?

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=5407

Sincerely