XBox 360 controller won't work properly [LONG]

Stemin

Alright. I've pretty much given up on making Oblivion playable (for now), but I bought Skyrim for PC after 5 months of hard core playing on the PS3. The price dropped to $40 and I had a $15 gift card, so I felt like I'm ready to step up to modding.

I'm not interested in hearing the hardcore pc gamer crap about keyboard/mouse is superior, so if that's what you're here to do, please, the door is that way. I just want some help.

I have the official Microsoft XBox 360 PC wireless controller. It comes with drivers and a usb sensor. I had issues at first getting it to synch because of conflicts with my wireless mouse and keyboard, but after changing frequencies, it now loads and everything apparently works. But when I play skyrim, the camera movement is slow and unresponsive. At times it seems like the x and y axis doesn't even move at the same rate, but they're both slow. I tried the use the fixes recommended here:

And it just made it worse. I set everything back and decided to contact Bethesda. I sent them an e-mail. I gave them my specs:

"I m running an Intel Quad Core Q6600 chipset on a Gigabyte motherboard GA-P45T-ES3G I have 16gigabytes of G Skill Ripjaw X Series 240 pin DDR3 SDRAM 1333 and an NVidia Verto Graphics card the GeForce 210 with 1024mb DDR2 I am using the Official Microsoft XBox 360 Wireless PC controller I am using all the official Microsoft equipment that came with it not a third party dongleI cannot get the XBox 360 controller to work properly with skyrim."

I should also mention I'm running Windows 7 64 bit professional. They responded accordingly:

"Please use the steps below to record and send us the information about the current installation of DirectX on the computer. We need this detailed information in order to assist in troubleshooting the issue at hand. No personal information is contained in the report."

The file they requested (and proceeded to give me information on how to generate) is attached to this board.

After I sent them my file they sent me a long e-mail with a bunch of generic procedures on it:

- Disable Background Applications

- Uninstall and Reinstall Direct X

- Disable SLI/CrossFireX

- Lower Sound Acceleration

- Uninstall and Reinstall the game completely.

I tried some of those things. I did not disable sound acceleration (mostly I think it's pointless to try) and I did not disable SLI/CrossFireX because I cannot find an option to do so. I do not believe it's running on my system. Its my understanding that SLI or CrossFireX are for systems running multiple graphics cards. I am not. Nor does my motherboard have onboard video.

With an Intel Chip, an NVidia graphics card and a Gigabyte motherboard I don't know how much more name brand and vanilla you can get. I really am at a loss as to why most people have no problem doing the plug and play thing with this controller but I cannot get it to work.

I am hoping someone can offer some solutions. Would upgrading my video card work? I admit I do not know much about video cards anymore and I selected one that was in the middle of my budget at the time.

I could use some help.

Thank you for your time.

My friend (who helped me adjust the frequency on the thing to get it working) believes that because I live in an apartment and have so many electronics that I'm getting too much interference on the wireless signal. Does anyone else think this is the real issue and have some advice on it?

When I read this, I thought of the drivers, there are 2 (1 for 32 bit OS and 1 for 64). A 64 bit OS will run 32 bit programs, I don't know if that would cause anything though. And yes the interference thing is VERY likely (I have an A.S. degree in electronics), I personally use a wired 360 controller, but my reasons are so I don't have the hassle of using and maintaining batteries.

I downloaded the drivers from microsoft's website and when I try to install they say I have the newest version. I'm pretty fed up with this, so I think I'm gonna just run to best buy tomorrow and pickup a wired version and see what happens.

I don't understand why I don't have issues with the PS3 or XBox controllers. Just when using with PC. He said I could try moving the sensor around. I dunno.

Edited by Stemin

Well, $44 later I can tell you it's not the wireless signal to the controller. Something's just wrong with my setup. I picked up a wired controller, uninstalled the old Microsoft drivers, plugged the controller in, and downloaded the latest drivers from microsoft, installed and started the game up. Same problems with the wired controller.

Is there anyone that can give me some help on this?

how does the controller work with other games?

on my setup i get the lag you speak of (with a wired xbox controller) when i lock my fps at 30, but 31 and i dont get input lag

perhaps use dxtory to lock your framerate at 31 or 35?

use your nvidea control panell to set the render ahead limit to 5 or 3 or 0 (im on ati) or flip Que size

Edited by hellstorm102

how does the controller work with other games?

on my setup i get the lag you speak of (with a wired xbox controller) when i lock my fps at 30, but 31 and i dont get input lag

perhaps use dxtory to lock your framerate at 31 or 35?

use your nvidea control panell to set the render ahead limit to 5 or 3 or 0 (im on ati) or flip Que size

I don't know how to flip Que size or what you mean by that. The pre rendered frames was set at 3 for the global default. I changed it to 5 and it didn't help. 0 showed a lot of improvement, but it still was too slow.

I'll have to look into dxtory. There was a program in the vid I posted a link to that locked your FPS. I removed it because the stuff in that vid made my setup worse.

As far as other games go... I have only tried it with two others. Oblivion and Transformers War for Cybertron. Neither has support for it out of the box and I've been using xpadder. I got good results on TFWFC, but Oblivion gives me movement issues. It seems like my character drifts occasionally and I have to fight the controller. I have little response when I try to use the control diagonally and the one time I experimented with movement on the keyboard, it screwed everything up to the point where the gamepad didn't work at all except at a crawl. I wish I had another supposedly plug-in-play game that used the xbox 360 controller to give you a better idea.

Judging by the improvement I got changing the pre-rendered frames I'm guessing my issues stem from my video card. I don't know if it's possible to configure it to work or if I'd be better off getting a new card. I don't mind spending the money IF it works, but I don't want to blow money on another video card if it's not going to fix the problem.

Edited by Stemin

yeah definatly try the 31 or 35 fps cap with dxtory (makes the game playable for me) and the render ahead to 0,

for your look sensitivity set it down at first, test it then set it higher if need be, i found that setting the sensitivity too high in skyrim makes it slower in some cases... especially with the mouse acceleration disabled

also for your oblivion drifting is because of the dead zone settings. luckily xpadder has settings for the sticks. click on the wrench next to where u assign keys for the sticks, and then click on settings at the top. increase the dead zone size

if TFWC works good then your controller is fine. skyrim is a strange game lol

Edited by hellstorm102

This could be caused by any number of things, I would try everything possible before spending $ on stuff you may not actually need. Your video card has 1gb vram, I am not sure on it's actual performance though (It's a little out of date for newer games). The movement issues may be calibration off a little, or xpadder may not be playing well with it, I played Oblivion with 360 controller without anything like xpadder, you just can't use the triggers and have to get creative with your button layouts. Is TFWFC supported for 360 controller, or does it require xpadder? I know you said you don't like using keyboard\ mouse, but does it work fine with Skyrim (for troubleshooting purposes)?