[WIP] True Lichdom - Nexus Thread # 1

delfofthebla

Introduction

I've always found Vampirism and Werewolf... ism, to be very enjoyable concepts within the Elder Scrolls games. The idea of giving ones character a whole new "state of being" has always been interesting to me. There's just something appealing about it that I can't really explain. The notion of playing as a "cursed existence" that is also given untold power is just so very, very fun for me as a player.

While the Elder Scrolls does allow you to do this to some extent, Bethesda has been a bit flaky about the whole thing. I personally only played from Morrowind onwards, so I did not get the chance to experience the Werebear, but we haven't gotten to see it since. In Oblivion, we could not even become a Werewolf, and in Skyrim, both the Werewolf and Vampire states have very questionable aspects to them. I'm a big fan of the concepts, but I've felt the whole thing is simply lacking; both in terms quantity, as well as quality. There's just so much untapped potential in each of the concepts available, and the lore is plentiful enough to bring many more as well. While I could create a mod to "fix up" the states that are already within the game, I've decided instead to create one of the untapped concepts I mention.

Liches are one of these concepts. We have always seen Liches within the Elder Scrolls games, but never once have we been allowed to obtain the state of Lichdom for ourselves. Moreover, the Liches we see are nothing like the Liches described within the lore surrounding them. I always wondered, "Why are these Liches so weak and uninteresting? Why can't I become a Lich myself?" And in Skyrim, "Just where the hell are all the Liches?" It seems odd that they were so plentiful in Oblivion, but they are almost non-existent within Skyrim. Yes, the Dragon Priests are Liches, but they're servants of dragons, not sorcerers hungry with power. Not to mention they appear just as mindless as the ones in Oblivion.

Two of my favorite Morrowind mods, "The Illuminated Order" and "Lichcraft", allowed you to actually transform yourself into a Lich. The experiences these mods gave my Morrowind playthroughs were simply outstanding, and I had more fun playing with those than I ever did in the traditional game. It's because of this that I've decided I'm going to try and replicate that experience once more. I'm doing this for myself, as well as all of the other Skyrim players out there. That, is what this project is all about.

What will the mod contain?

There are two primary features I plan to include within this mod.

• Playable Lich Forms
    - I plan to add multiple playable Lich forms, each carrying their own strengths and weaknesses.
  • A Full Length Quest
    - A full length quest will be included, and during the course of your progression you will unlock the ability to become one of the three Lich forms available.

Quest Details

I mentioned Illuminated Order in the Introduction. Players that have actually had the pleasure to play the mod will vouch for just how amazing the questline was. For all the Illuminated Order fans out there, I'd first like to warn you not to get too excited. While I do plan to try and make the questline as fun and memorable as possible, I have a hard time seeing me topping T.I.O. in regards to that. However, that doesn't mean I won't be trying! I will be taking a similar theme in the sense that you will be joining a "secret guild" of sorts, so perhaps that's something to look forward to.

My specialization is in scripting, not story writing, so I've been working with another modder to help put the whole thing together. While I do not have any specific details just yet, rest assured we've been working on the story whenever possible, so even without me posting anything here, progress is being made on this. I just want to ensure it's in a good enough state to publicize before I do so.

Lich Details

Liches are intelligent sorcerers, typically Necromancers, which chose to sacrifice their mortality in exchange for an eternal existence. They are often pompous or arrogant individuals that view those around them to be weak and inferior. A person that transcends into Lichdom is no longer bound by the tedious grips of their mortality. They do not eat, they do not drink, they do not sleep, and they do not age. They are, by nature, a cursed existence. They are dead, but at the same time, immortal. They assume a state of Eternal Death.

There are three different types of Liches that this mod will allow you to play as. The Traditional Lich, the Phylactery Bound Lich, and the Vampiric Lich. Each one should bring an interesting and different style of play for each type of player, while also staying as immersive and true to the game lore as possible. You will learn just how these Liches come to be, as well as the traits of their existences throughout the questline. However, for the sake of building hype and garnering feedback, I will list specific feature details for each Lich below.

Global Lich Traits and Features

Brief Description:

Individual skills and features may differ between each Lich, but all Liches will still carry these traits in addition to the ones listed below their respective sections.

• People Fear You
    -You're a walking corpse after all, and you can expect people to not take too kindly to that. People won't talk to you, they will run away, and most will actually attack you on sight. Naturally, you can expect guards to be out for your blood for showing your face near them.
  • Disguising Your True Form
    -In order to get around the fact that everyone wants you dead, you will be given an ability that will "disguise" your true form. This ability will work as a toggle, and will toggle your appearance between your true form and your disguised form. While active however, it will drain your Magicka at a constant rate. (This continues even while conversing with other NPC's.) The amount of time that you can actually spend in town is limited by how long your Magicka reserves last you.
  • Companions Tweaks
    -Right now I'm thinking about flat-out disabling companions. After all, who in their right mind would willingly protect a Lich with their lives? Not many I'd wager. I might add some sort of undead companion system or something, but that is honestly not something I think I need to add. If I do decide to do so, it's at the bottom of the priority list.

Lich # 1 - Traditional Lich

Brief Description:

The Traditional Lich is considered the "perfect" or "true" Lich. This Lich escapes his mortality in every way shape and form. He requires no "upkeep" to maintain his existence, and suffers only one actual weakness.

Complete Feature, Strength, and Weakness List:

• Complete Immunity to Disease, Poison, and Paralysis.
  • 50% Increased Resistance to Frost
  • 25% Increased Resistance to Magic.
  • 25% Increased Resistance to Shock.
  • Complete Vulnerability to Fire. (-100% Resistance)
  • Magicka Fortified by 250.
  • Magicka Regeneration Fortified by 20%

Lich # 2 - Phylactery Bound Lich

Brief Description:

A key component in the transcendence into Lichdom is the artifact known as the "Phylactery". The Phylactery is used as a temporary catalyst to contain the Lich's soul during his transcendence into Lichdom. The Phylactery Bound Lich however, choses to permanently bind his soul to his Phylactery. Due to this "incomplete" transformation, he does not receive the full benefits of a true Lich, but in turn, he has gained the ability to escape even the death of his own body.

• Magicka Fortified by 300.
  • Magicka Regeneration Fortified by 30%
  • Max Health decays with each passing day.
  • Max Stamina decays with each passing day.
  • No Passive Health Regeneration
  • Host swapping
    -Upon transforming into this Lich, your body is now just an animated worthless corpse. It matters not which body you are controlling, as long as you actually have one to control. Your skills are retained within your Phylactery, and they are relayed to the host via its power.
    -You are able to swap hosts at will, so long as you have a proper NPC corpse as your target. You "acquire" the durability of the host you choose. The stronger foe you slay, the stronger you yourself can become.
  • Immortality
    -Physical death is not the end for the Lich. Your Phylactery carries your soul. Unless that is destroyed, you cannot die.

The player has the option of carrying his Phylactery with him, or leaving it at a designated location.

If the player is
not
carrying his Phylactery, upon death he will be transported back to his Phylactery's location and will restore his remains over time.

If the player
is
carrying his Phylactery, he has three possible options:

1) Lie and wait until he restores his body.

2) Attempt to make his killer his new host.

3) Use his Magicka to conjure himself into a "Spirit Form".

Dying in spirit form will result in a real death.

A concept I want to capture with this Lich is that you are no longer the character you created at the start of the game. You have no true body, and thus, no 'character'. You are dead, and the only fragment of your pitiful existence remaining is your soul. The Phylactery, which contains your soul, is now your true body, and it is the body that you now have to protect. You have no need to protect your physical one, for it is now nothing more than an animated corpse.

Lich # 3 - Vampiric Lich

Brief Description:

The Vampiric Lich is a bit of an interesting one. Some would call him a hybrid, others, an incomplete failure. But make no mistake; this Lich is neither a Vampire, nor a failure. He is a true Lich, down to his very core. Unlike his other Lich brethren however, he must feed in order to survive. Indeed, the most basic function of life that Liches try to escape, the Vampiric Lich must still perform. While this could be called a curse that no would-be Lich would ever desire, it is also, in a way, a blessing—for no other Lich can be quite as powerful as he.

• 50% Increased Resistance to Frost
  • 25% Increased Resistance to Magic.
  • Magicka Fortified by 200.
  • New Ability: Devour Soul
    -Devour Soul will be a "finishing move" that will only work on living NPC's that are below 10% health. It will also not work on targets that are currently "soul tapped". If these conditions are met, the ability instantly kills the target, and you will consume their soul.
    -The System will work as follows

The player will be forced to absorb at least 1 soul every two game weeks. If the Player does not do this, he will
die
.(I may make it so that near the end of the two weeks you will grow progressively weaker.)

Upon feeding on a soul, he will gain a "Soul Power" effect.

The first level of Soul Power will temporarily boost the Lich's Destruction Damage, Magicka Regeneration, and Maximum Magicka by a small amount.

If the Player has recently absorbed a soul, and then proceeds to absorb
another
soul, his Soul Power level is increased by one, and the effects are enhanced even further. The Soul Power buff timer will reset and accumulate upon doing so.

Upon reaching the second "level" of Soul Power, he will also take a Max Health Reduction for the duration of the buff. At level two or higher, he will also succumb to a "Soul Overload" effect after the buff duration expires.

The Soul Power effect can be
stacked
and
repeated
up to 5 times, with the buffs and debuffs increasing in power for every level.

Soul Overload will last twice as long as the total duration of the Soul Power buff.

Soul Overload will Retain half of the Max Health reduction that the Soul Power state gave.

Soul Overload will reduce Destruction Damage, Magicka Regeneration, and Maximum Magicka by the same amounts the Soul Power buff granted.

The more souls you're "popping souls" for power, the longer (and weaker) you're going to suffer from bone-crushing weakness. (Pun intended.)

The Vampiric Lich is a fragile and dangerous existence, but he is also the strongest. He is the perfect choice for one that is mad for power. He relies on the consumption of human souls to sustain his 'life', but he also has the ability to drastically increase his strength with each soul devoured. Doing so too often however causes severe side-effects that lower his power to the level of a mere child. The Vampiric Lich is the strongest, but he is also the weakest.

I Don't Like the Way ______ Works, Will You Change It?

Maybe! I'm trying to design each of the Liches in a way that will make them as immersive and enjoyable as possible for as many different types of players as I can. There are bound to be some conflicting interests, but it's for that very reason that I need as much feedback as I can get! From numbers to concepts, I'm willing to change any aspect of the mod based on the feedback I receive. Just let me know what you're thinking and we'll see if it's worth changing!

How can you help?

Want to help? Great! This is a rather large project with a pretty large scope, and I need all the help I can get!

• First and foremost, I need ideas and suggestions. Just speak your mind, whether it be quest ideas, feature tweaks, or Lich concepts—lemme have em! Most of this isn't completely set in stone, and I may change any of it depending on the feedback I receive.
  • Lore scraping. So far I've had several people assist me with this, and it's been a big help. Any more is of course still welcomed though! My goal is to entwine each of my Liches with the Elder Scrolls lore as much as I can, while not being too constricted by it. For this reason, having a wide list of books that reference Mannimarco, Lichdom, and even Necromancy will be a huge help to the story development.

Feel free to post any of the above here, or PM me if you'd prefer.

What about Scripting, Writing, Texturing, and Moddeling?

Scripting is actually my primary Forté, and I've pretty much finished most of the coding needed at this point. I've also gotten a few people on board already to assist with the writing, texturing, and modeling needs. It's possible that I have these areas all covered, but it's still a bit early to say. They've each had their own difficulties, and perhaps could use assistance as well! If you are one of the above and still wish to help, send me a PM and we'll see what we can work out. My primary goal is to release this as quickly as possible without sacrificing any quality after all.

Do You Need Any Testers?

As a matter of fact I do! I'm getting close to a stage where the Liches themselves are "complete" from a conceptual standpoint. Once I am comfortable with their functionality it boils down to just implementing all the models and playtesting their concepts. For now I've stopped accepting any more testers. I'll edit the main post if I feel I need any more. Thanks those who have volunteered so far!

Naturally if you're wanting your first experience with the mod to be a pristine and immersive as possible, you won't want to do this, but if not, I'd love your assistance! A lot of these concepts can turn out too be too over/underwhelming based on the numbers I'm using, and I'd like to fine-tune them as much as possible before the real release. If you're interesting in helping me do this, please PM me for more info.

Screenshots

Phylactery Cell

Videos

Pending

Progress Tracker

Here I'll gauge my progress regarding specific features and goals, and try to keep you guys updated as often as possible.

Overall Mod Progress: 58%

General Lich Progress: 64%

Abilities: 100%

Phylactery: 60%

Phylactery Model: 0%

Phylactery Texture: 0%

Phylactery Cell Models: 100%

Phylactery Cell Textures: 100%

Phylactery Cell Design: 100%

Lich Hostility: 100%

Disguise Spell: 100%

Companion Tweaks: 0%

Lich Model: 25%

Models: 30%

Textures: 20%

Lich # 1 Progress: 33%

Unannounced Feature 1: 0%

Unannounced Feature 2: 0%

Lich # 2 Progress: 91%

Spells: 85%

Spell Effects and Visuals: 40%

Corpse Possession Spell: 100%

Find Phylactery Spell: 100%

Enter Phylactery Spell: 100%

Phylactery Additions: 100%

Extra Cells: 100%

Soul Hibernation Device: 100%

Immortality: 81%

Body Aging: 100%

Body Reconstruction: 100%

Body Restoration: 100%

Killer Possession: 85%

Spirit Form: 100%

Unannounced Feature: 0
%

Lich # 3 Progress: 78%

Spells: 20%

Spell Effects and Visuals: 0%

Soul Devour Spell: 100%

Unannounced Spell 1: 0%

Unannounced Spell 2: 0%

Unannounced Spell 3: 0%

Soul Power State: 95%

Soul Overload State 95%

QuestLine: 24%

Storyline Development: 55%

Quest Development (In the CK): 10%

Dungeon Development: 0%

NPC/Character Development: 30%

Other Threads

Bethesda Forum [WIP] Thread #2 (Current Thread)

Bethesda Forum [WIP] Thread #1

Bethesda Forum [Pre-Wip]Thread

Edited by delfofthebla

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spiffy! Although, I'm curious: how are you planning on activating something on player death? Doesn't that take the player out of the game-proper and to the file select interface?

The player is made essential the moment he is transformed into a Phylactery Bound Lich. I then run code when he enters the bleedout event. In the early stages of the mod, I had originally tried to manipulate the players "real" death, but that proved to be really buggy and near impossible to do. I could bring him back to life and restore his UI, but I just couldn't properly restore the camera. No matter what I tried it just wouldn't work. For this reason I decided to make him essential instead. It's much more reliable, but it does lack the "definitive death" impression that a ragdolling corpse would have.

Edited by delfofthebla

please tell me this is still being worked on?

Yep. Have been working on it just about every day since the day the creation kit came out, and I plan to continue to do so until it is released. :)

Do you have an approximate release date yet? :biggrin: This is exciting :thumbsup:

Sorry, I don't. A lot of progress has been made on the mod, but there are areas that I haven't even begun to work on yet. I want it to be as perfect as it possibly can be before the release, so I'm not cutting any corners.