File upload limit raised to 5GB

Dark0ne

Something I've been wanting to do away with for a while now is the need for a multi-part upload system for files that are larger than 1Gb, or for people who have unstable connections and can't upload large files before getting dropped.

Following the successful roll-out of our new code on all the Nexus sites (we're almost there, just 3 more sites to go!) Axel is going to be continuing work on a new upload system. This upload system is going to support upload resuming and pausing. Much like download resuming this means if you upload 75% of your file and then get disconnected for whatever reason you'll only need to upload the remaining 25% of the file when you come back to uploading your file. Really handy if you've got unstable internet or if you get disconnected at 99% when uploading huge files. You'll also be able to pause your upload, so if you're halfway through uploading a 5Gb file and you want to hop in to a multiplayer game, you can simply pause your upload and resume it later.

In preparation for these changes all the Nexus sites now support file sizes up to 5Gb. So while you won't be able to resume your uploads yet if you get disconnected, as long as you've got a stable connection you should be able to upload super large files now without having to split your files in to separate archives. Once Axel's new upload system is in place we'll do away with the multi-part upload system completely and work on combining all the archives that people have uploaded as multi-parts in to one single file.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good I've always thought that the nexus servers were a bit "iffy". Hopefully the implementation of this new code will help the smooth running of the site in terms of uploading files. Hopefully, maybe we could see something like this for the download system in the future? Just a thought. Anyway thanks very much Dark0ne keep up the good work.

Does this upgrade have something to do with me being unable to download any mods? The NMM when I open it has "No Data" listed for the version of all the mods I'm running and when I try to download something new it tells me file does not exist.

If this is unrelated to my issue, I'll move my post!

Yeah Jonasl2004, I'm getting that too, I'm pretty sure this is the cause. It'll probably be patched soon so for now we play the waiting game. Edited by foekiller

That is awesome. While there aren't many files that'll reach that big, it'll be excellent to be able to easily host them here.

Can't wait for the ability to pause and resume an upload as well.

Wow, guys, great work. How many sites (of any kind) can you mention a down/up-load limit of 5GB? And free, at that! :thumbsup: :dance: