Fallout 3 modding and you.

Tamujiin

Okay so, im going to write a little tutorial on the things to do, and NOT to do when installing mods, Just some pointers, im not telling anybody they are doing anything wrong or right.

FIRST THING FIRST.... http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/1086 disable it, nobody cares about achievments on a PC game anyway... :P

1. Always, ALWAYS, Read the read me, if it isnt a good read me, chances are, the mod isnt good. IMO

1. a- Anything you download, try and download it manually, not a big deal, its just a major time saver. NMM, doesnt back stuff up for you the way the good ole manual style does. Make a folder, and save yer downloaded files there.

1. b- Never install default, because UAC doesnt allow right privlages to the programs (x86) folder, ( vista and windows 7 users only ) install to your games folder, there probably isnt anything in there anyway.

2. Never download a crap load of mods, and install them all right away.

3. Install 1 mod at a time, run the game, and test that mod. Then move onto the next and do the same. So Install, Test, Run, Doing it this way, if you encounter an error, you can easily find it.

4. Know what tools you need if you are going to go nuts, installing a bunch of crap you dont really need anyway, Like for Fallout 3 all you really need is FO3edit and or wrye bash, i dont use wrye bash for fallout 3, i use FO3edit.

5. FWE and FOOKU2's read me's both say, they DO NOT work well together. Choose one or the other, not both.

6. For both fallout games, NMM doesnt work well. use either NVMM or FOMM old for there respective games or the new FOMM if you have both installed. a lot of people my be able to get the new FOMM working when only having new vegas installed, but i say it because it can cause issues.

7. There are numerous utilities to help run the game on low end computers. Search the fallout nexus's and use the searcg filter tab, and search the top utilities. you will find what you are looking for.

8. You have to be patient when installing mods, expecially if your gonna go nuts and add a bunch of stuff. Try to remember, if you encounter a problem, the best way to find it is to work backwards the way you installed mods.

9. The TOP 3 utilities you need for either FNV, or FO3 are as follows 1. the old FOMM, NVMM, or the new FOMM if you have BOTH installed. 2 BOSS, get the installer version, it works great and your masterlist is automatically updated. 3. FNVedit or FO3edit. These tools are great and i would suggest learning to use them even if you have 2 mods installed.

Here is a training manual for FNV/FO3edit. http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/8629

10. Have fun. If it is frustrating you to the point of :wallbash: then take a break, drink some coffee, or whatever, and come back to it later :P. Stuff seems to work a lot better if you just dont try to force it, unless you bash it :P

11. Last but not least, choose your mods wisely, and again i stress READ THE READ ME. Most good mods will have towrads the bottom of the read me, a list of compatibility issues.

I know Fallout 3 and NV are so similar, that Everything works the same. Just the part about choosing mods. :P

This Scenerios works the same for oblivion, but the edit program is TESedit. Oblivion is a whole different world though. Ill type something different if this thread helps anybody here, on the oblivion troubleshooting section.

Edited by tamujiin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tamujiin --

Very nice. Good advice. Unfortunately I have learned the hard way most of the time. So you're saying to stay away from GECK. I have had some success with the Creation Editor for Skyrim, but it can be very tricky. Some things that look like they oughta work just don't.

I have had some luck with FO3Edit - but I still haven't figured out the hair mods. Oh well, not the worst thing in the world.

Hey im just wondering im trying to download FO3 But i try to click a other folder like you said but it wont install in anything else just The Default one Why?

WB Taco - no worries, just download it in the default folder and then copy to the directory you want. Wouldn't hurt to keep a copy of the original Data folder either. Sometimes you can get in a real mess from some of the mods and just have to start again.