New Huge Project: In-Depth Skyrim Romance (Looking for all kinds of pe

Dalgon

EDIT: Post updated with new information and sample stories (bottom)

As the title says, we are trying to find people interested in participating and helping create a [Romance] mod for Skyrim that would entirely replace the current romance system in the game. However, the mod will not be centered around romance, in fact it will be about giving certain NPCs a background story, why they are who they are, where they are, and in short, develop a full fledged personality for NPCs.

Initially, we will work on only one NPC. However, once we get that one NPC working the way we want, (and also based on feedback from the community) we will slowly add more NPCs, and even modify some of the pre-existing NPCs in the game (housecarls, for example).

PLEASE NOTE: Even though I refer to the NPC as "her" and "she" we are also planning to implement male love interests as well. (We actually have one backstory for one of those male NPCs already)

We are considering allowing same-sex romance, so that everyone can be involved in whichever way they see fit.

IMPORTANT: Sample stories at bottom ^.^

Here are some of the basic ideas of what we are trying to achieve:

NPC will have a background, complete with place of origin, who they are, who their parents were, and in short, the reason why they are who they are today in the game. The background would be lore friendly and in accordance to the NPCs race, and any other details that might affect someone's origin.

This background will shape the NPCs reactions to the player, the world around, and other NPCs.

This NPC would be named in such a way that it would blend in among the other NPCs in the game.

The player meeting this NPC would be based on a few factors (depending on NPC) and would be by pure chance. The NPC will most likely not come to the player.

Meeting this NPC would trigger a series of events that depending on a few player choices along the way could turn out in quite the plotline and story.

Based on how long you spend with this NPC, how helpful you are, and other factors, the NPC might choose to share their history with you, aka their background. Asking too much about their background even when they say they don't want to talk about it could lead to the NPC becoming angered and leaving you.

Even if you follow the plotline and complete the NPCs various quests or requests, it does not mean they will instantly love you (see below).

Depending on how the player interacts with this NPC, the NPC can end up a) falling in love with the player b) leaving, abandoning, or otherwise being indifferent to the player c) hating the player... in this instance, it would be possible for that NPC to attempt to assassinate you (or find the means to hire others to do it).

One of the things that would influence whether an NPC likes you, for example, is how much time you spend with them. If you just casually once in a while talk to this NPC, he or she will most likely never be available to you romantically.

If on the other hand, you visit often, take her places, help her with her problems, train her (yes, we are considering the possibility to teach an NPC to fight) and in short, spend quality time with her, she will very likely, depending on the kind of player you are, fall in love with you. However, it might take quite some time for this to happen :D

We are aiming to make an NPC that is not just a robot that automatically loves the dragonborn just because.

At some points, NPC would reveal things they like, or not like. Usually through idle chatter as you walk around, so if you are paying attention to what your companion NPC says, you might be able to score a few points by keeping in mind what she said. For example, by walking through a farm the NPC makes a general comment that she loves berries. Give her some berries later on and ding ding ding! you scored some points.

If on the other hand she comments she hates berries, but you are not listening and then give her berries well, she'll be grateful but... you get the point.

Now, let's say you marry an NPC, after countless hours of in game.. let's call it "roleplaying". Just because she is now married to you, it does not mean she won't leave you.

Dropping her off in a city and forgetting about her for a certain amount of time (not decided yet) would initially make her concerned, then slowly angry, and if you disappear long enough, when you return she will be ready to divorce you.

Doing anything (or failing to do) things that would normally make her like or hate you before you were married would still have the same effect. Perhaps even more so since by now you should know her a bit better than to give her those berries she hates so much (example).

She would notice if you are excessively talking to that woman or man "over there" and would question you about it.

Or, if you are caught "flirting" (we are considering the possibility of adding those options to several NPCs) and she is within earshot, she will also question you about it.

Enough transgresions, and depending on the NPC and her personality, she might dump you, or the person you flirted with might be found dead on a ditch a few days later, or maybe you might be found dead in your bed. Who knows?

Here are other ideas that we would love to implement and suggested by people in this thread: And I quote:

Also thinking of being with her could get you children (think Fable style). Also new vendor options like stuff to impress the other person.

Other stuff could be: Like you might wanna see if gear can help. Like a waarior just coming from battle, drenched in blood might not be the suitable date you had in mind. Let him use those fresh clothes which normally end as vendor trash. It could even go further. Like my favourite colour is red, next time you have red clothes on you impress him/her a bit more. But sounds great what you already working on.

Good luck on the implementation.

I'm definitely going to be around to cheer you on along the way, romances are awesome and very much needed in the game ^^

I can go and throw some ideas/things for you to munch on in regards to a more technical side of the NPC that come to my mind:

- reactions to vanilla main story, subquests

- reactions to locations

- reactions to weather/time-of-day

- reactions to PC's state - vampire/werewolf

- conflicts of interests with player's choices in quests/subquests

- dialogues that can lead to conflicts with the NPC or develop their relationship in a specific way

- I encountered an idea in one BG mod looong time ago (never finished /cry) where there were 3 romance paths - like, friendship-based, sex-based, and a weird chaotically masochistic kind of way (it just fit the character haha)

- it's often fun to create NPCs for romance with an interesting background already in conflict with who the player is (something to do with dragons in this case? :D). It adds some juicy drama. I love drama. I know not everyone loves it, but many people do :D

- plenty of random little talks that keep the NPC alive throughout the play-through and not make them seem like mindless zombie after a while

- player-initiated talks. Can't stress the importance of these. And they should be changing and evolving with the progress of the mod. To have player HAVE to talk to the NPC to trigger the progress is great too. Gives them a sense of initiative.

- consider same-sex romance as well, if it will fit the character. It will expand your audience and let more people enjoy it.

Longity long post. :D

And now the HARSH truth: This is a HUGE project, and it will take quite a while to complete. There are only five of us currently, and we need as much help as we can get.

We need anyone that would like to assist with a mod such as this. This mod will NOT be abandoned like many others have, but, as stated above we will need a lot of help.

We need everything you guys can offer: Storytelling, Voice Acting, Scripting, Modding, anyone with experience with the Creation Kit, and anything else you guys can do that you believe might be of help.

IMPORTANT: Sample stories :D

Story Number 1

A young woman is struggling to sustain and pay for the care and medicines for her terribly ill and slowly dying mother. Her father, a hopeless alcoholic and gambler, has lost all sense of duty towards his wife or daughter. In fact, he even goes as far as to steal her hard earned money, to sustain his habits. She resigned that this is what her life was, work incesantly and hope that her "father" would leave just enough so that they wouldn't die of hunger, and that it could not get any worse, but she was so wrong. When one night she was sold to some lord from far away to pay off a gambling debt, and the man defiled and raped her for a full night without mercy, then she knew that she had hit rock bottom. After that fateful night, her father and the strange man disappeared, and she made it her goal to one day find them and make them pay -dearly- for what they had done. For now, she would care as best she could for her mother in her last days, and at least the money she earned wouldn't be stolen or used for alcohol or gambling... But when it was all done, they would both pay, with their blood. Although she could not see how it would even be possible... Until she met the one people called Dragonborn. Perhaps, her fate was now taking a turn for the better...

A story about revenge, exacting due justice, and perhaps, even a bit of love.

Story Number 2

When she saw this person she did not recognize approach the village, she was certain that something was horribly wrong. And her fears were confirmed: for the person that approached handed her a small note, and a bag with some herbs and ingredients inside... But there was no time to mourn the loss of her sister, and from the bottom of her heart she thanked this person for bringing the ingredients, for they would be the salvation of this town. Weeks ago, a few people got sick with a horrible and unknown disease, and the town witch tried her best, but she ran out of components in the middle of preparing a cure. Now, half the town was dead -if you could call it that- those that died of this disease rose hours later and attacked anyone within sight... But now, there was hope. The necessary components to make the cure were here, and those that had not died yet would be saved. Or so she thought... A day after taking the supposed cure, those that were supposed to heal, instead turned instantly into those monsters... And the witch seemed to have disappeared. Now, the only ones left were her, and this stranger that had brought the "cure"... Could this person be responsible... or the witch? Or maybe they are allied in some way?

A story about how the temptation of power can corrupt even the purest of souls. Will you be corrupted?

Story Number 3

He had done this many times. Go into town with the other Blackcloaks, kill everyone, then let the mages do their dirty work. He still could not get used to the huge runes they drew after the massacre was done. The thought of all those souls being yanked out of their path towards Sovngarde, to instead be fed to their god... No matter. If they wanted to achieve the immortality their god promised, this had to be done. But then, those big blue eyes looked at him from inside the cupboard in "that" house over there. And then, the owner of those eyes talked, and asked "Sir, where is my mommy?" He looked behind him, the body that he had just dropped to the ground with a single swipe of his sword, and his heart felt like it was being squeezed by a giant. What the hell was he doing? Without thinking, he picked up the little girl, ran out the door, and after heading for the closest treeline at the edge of town -after cutting down one of his own men- he disappeared into the night. He swore he would protect this girl with his life, but that soon proved to be harder than he could have ever anticipated. "They" had eyes everywhere, and usually within days of settling down in any specific place, his hideout would be found. Then, under the strangest circumstances, he met someone. Someone, that somehow, instilled new hope in him. Who is this person?

A story about redemption, and how even the most evil of all deserve a second chance...

Edited by Dalgon

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope you're serious about this mod. There was a similar mod that was being worked on and suddenly it was abandoned. I really love the idea of introducing romance to the world of Skyrim.

I would love to be a small part of the team, as for now my only potential skill is being a support unit for the storytelling and writing. I can't mod either.

I hope more people become interested in this and once again... I hope you're serious about the mod. Best wishes.

I really hope you're serious about this mod. There was a similar mod that was being worked on and suddenly it was abandoned. I really love the idea of introducing romance to the world of Skyrim.

I would love to be a small part of the team, as for now my only potential skill is being a support unit for the storytelling and writing. I can't mod either.

I hope more people become interested in this and once again... I hope you're serious about the mod. Best wishes.

Hello, thank you for the reply.

Currently, I have an outline for a story of one of the NPCs. Initially, that is all we would work on. Probably develop a single NPC, iron out all the bugs, and then implement more. reaper9111 (our level designer, when we get enough people), suggested that we work on one NPC at a time, and I think it's a great idea.

Any help would be welcome, you can't have too many of anything with a mod of this size.

I really hope that enough people chime in as well :) I was excited when I read the other post, but since it was abandoned I decided to attempt to pick it up.

Hello, thank you for the reply.

Currently, I have an outline for a story of one of the NPCs. Initially, that is all we would work on. Probably develop a single NPC, iron out all the bugs, and then implement more. reaper9111 (our level designer, when we get enough people), suggested that we work on one NPC at a time, and I think it's a great idea.

Any help would be welcome, you can't have too many of anything with a mod of this size.

I really hope that enough people chime in as well :) I was excited when I read the other post, but since it was abandoned I decided to attempt to pick it up.

If you decide you need help with the story outline, PM with it and I'll think of something. I had realized I'm good at thinking up ideas. One NPC at a time should work; what is the number of NPCs you had in mind? 50? 100?

The amount of NPCs well hmm, I don't want to just add romance options for the sake of adding them, but have fully fleshed out NPCs with motives stories and goals (or no goals, heh that alcoholic woman might have no other goal than to waste her life away unles the player comes along and gives her a greater purpose).

I would like to eventually have a few NPCs spread out in such a manner that the encounter with them would be, as I stated in the first post, totally random, unexpected, and no different from a regular random meeting in the vanilla game.

The idea is to make it so that players are not like "oh, this one of the mods NPCs, I better behave" and instead they simply can't tell the difference from a mod NPC or a regular in-game quest person, hopefully so that players can be "themselves".

Not sure if I make any sense, lol.

Part of the outline well, a very very small part of it is already in the first post. (Prostitute). However, I have expanded a lot more in that idea.

Edited by Dalgon

Sounds nice, am a bit letdown by the romance system.

Would love to see more options there.

Also thinking of being with her could get you children (think Fable style). Also new vendor options like stuff to impress the other person.

Other stuff could be: Like you might wanna see if gear can help. Like a waarior just coming from battle, drenched in blood might not be the suitable date you had in mind. Let him use those fresh clothes which normally end as vendor trash. It could even go further. Like my favourite colour is red, next time you have red clothes on you impress him/her a bit more. But sounds great what you already working on.

Good luck on the implementation.

Hi there, there was a romance mod attempt here not so long ago, it fell apart, but you might find both the topic (and its replies) useful as you could ask some people who were willing to work on that one to help with this one, perhaps.

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/515892-romance-mod-if-you-are-into-modding-please-read-this/

Here is the link. The discussion was pretty long and I bet you could find a few opinions from the community that could help you on the way :)

Not to be a buzz killer, but I feel I need to throw in a bit of smartassy advice here: I'd advise you to not take on multiple NPCs at once. Go with 1-3 or something and flesh them out to the point you will be happy with it. You can always release the mod in parts. I fear that whenever the modders who have no previously finished some big works (and hence are seen as reliable in community -> it's easier for them to get equally reliable help/already have a modding team ready) take on something too big it just falls apart before it gets to any kind of playable stage. It's not a paid work, so you must take into account the fact that people may come and go as they please (of course their reputation *WILL* suffer, but there's no legal deterrent for slacking etc). And the fact that you yourself may feel overwhelmed by the amount of work combined with people leaving you along the way without even truly giving anything worthwhile to the mod.

Still, it's just an advice. If you feel ready to face the sea of work, have tons of free time and patience for people that allows you to shrug off the slackers and not care, by all means, it's up to you to decide on a magnitude of your enterprise and all that :) Still, I believe it's much, much safer in such case to PLAN big, but work in smaller steps. NPC after NPC, idea after idea, adding one after another as the previous one is finished and released/ready to be released (if you don't want to post smaller bits). In this way, if you ever stumble across an obstacle you can't overcome, you will have a way to show off all of your previous work and give it to community as a fun mod, even if not as big as you intended at first :)

I know it's a wall of text and can sound somewhat bitter, but it's coming from someone who did go through the bitter disappointment in people when it came to working on a too big of a project together with no money involved. Some succeed, but majority doesn't.

Edited by Esteris

Hey! Thank you all for your replies. Actually after talking to the people that are currently willing to help with the mod, we have decided to develop a single NPC and flesh him/her out as best as possible, iron out all the possible bugs and errors, and once we are more experienced at doing this kind of mod, plot and story then we can implement more.

Hehe I actually wrote to the original poster in that post that was mentioned but he said the project had been abandoned. I have been contacting people that seem to have an interest in this kind of mod and well, so far there are three that have replied :)

We need everyone that would like to chime in and help in any way possible. We need everything, especially modders and scripters :D

Even though I initially considered this mod a "romance" mod, well, it seems that the scope of my ideas will be much more than that. It won't simply be a dating sim quest to gain a love interest, instead, it will be something much much deeper, and NPC with likes, dislikes, desires, motives, fears, and in short, hopefully the NPC that we develop will be a "person" someone a player can grow to love or hate. And someone that won't necessarily feel the same way the player feels about him/her.

Right now we are in the "story" phase. Implementing all the more advanced ideas will require the help of someone with scripting experience. Hopefully we can find that person ^.^

Edited by Dalgon

I'm definitely going to be around to cheer you on along the way, romances are awesome and very much needed in the game ^^

I can go and throw some ideas/things for you to munch on in regards to a more technical side of the NPC that come to my mind:

- reactions to vanilla main story, subquests

- reactions to locations

- reactions to weather/time-of-day

- reactions to PC's state - vampire/werewolf

- conflicts of interests with player's choices in quests/subquests

- dialogues that can lead to conflicts with the NPC or develop their relationship in a specific way

- I encountered an idea in one BG mod looong time ago (never finished /cry) where there were 3 romance paths - like, friendship-based, sex-based, and a weird chaotically masochistic kind of way (it just fit the character haha)

- it's often fun to create NPCs for romance with an interesting background already in conflict with who the player is (something to do with dragons in this case? :D). It adds some juicy drama. I love drama. I know not everyone loves it, but many people do :D

- plenty of random little talks that keep the NPC alive throughout the play-through and not make them seem like mindless zombie after a while

- player-initiated talks. Can't stress the importance of these. And they should be changing and evolving with the progress of the mod. To have player HAVE to talk to the NPC to trigger the progress is great too. Gives them a sense of initiative.

- consider same-sex romance as well, if it will fit the character. It will expand your audience and let more people enjoy it.

Longity long post. :D

Thank you so very much for the suggestions. Some of them are exactly what I have in mind, but it will probably be a mod that will take a long while ^.^

I have already found another storywriter that wants to help with the project, so her and me will be putting our ideas together very soon to see what we can formulate.

I have an outline of what the "plot" will be like, but I am considering letting her write and design a side of the plot in her own way and develop a character in whichever way she sees fit.

In other words, I will take care of developing and creating everything pertaining to the main character, while she will take care of another character in the story along the way. Then, we will put both our mini-stories together.

What I am hoping to do is, instead of simply write everything in a way that would seem "appropriate" for me, I am hoping to perhaps run into an NPC personality that I might not be able to visualize, and then I would have to adjust my NPCs reactions and opinions according to how that other NPC affects my NPC. Haha, I don't know if I am making any sense. I guess you could call it "roleplaying".

Talking about which, you should totally join us ^.^ :D