Skyrim Showracemenu freeze and CTD when returning to main menu from ga

deathjam

Having returned to skyrim after the recent patches and updating all of my mods, I have a few issues that weren't present a few months ago.

I noticed that when I returned to the main menu, my game would crash. 1/20 this would not happen but decided to ignore as I could not figure out what had changed apart from SKSE update and the various patches along with updates to mods that worked fine with each other before. I read the readme's and forums of the ones that would likely conflict with each other such as Deadly Dragons and the Dragonbone crafting pack and sorted out the problems with those, but nothing pointed me to a fix for not crashing on the main menu, apart from having next to no mods installed.

Deciding on a fresh start, I decided to install some new mods, get rid of some buggy ones and start a new character. Playing is fine, game never ctds, frame rate is around the 40s, but whenever I use the console command, 'Showracemenu', my game freezes. The sounds play in the background, but no amount of waiting or controller input gives any response. There were points where this would not happen, but now it just happens all the time. I do have a lot of hair and face mods installed, but uninstalling them did not help the problem. Even running the game with none of the customisation mods made a difference so I am totally stumped.

I use Boss, NMM and Wrye Bash with bashed patch to manage my mods and their load order.

System Specs:

Core i5 2500k 3.4 ghz OC to 4.7 Ghz

120GB SSD

2TB HDD <- game installed here

500 GB HDD

16GB 1600 mhz DDR3 ram

2x Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire 1.5GB GDDR5 RAM - soon to be exchanged for 1 Radeon HD 7850

Load Order below:

00  Skyrim.esm
01  Update.esm
02  3rdEraWeaponsMoS.esm
03  SkyMoMod.esm
04  BlackTowerArmory.esm
05  ApachiiHair.esm
06  moonpath.esm
07  Overlook Tower - BASEv1.esm
08  Lycanthropy_Audio_by_Brevi.esm
09  hideout.esm
0A  retreat.esm
0B  HighResTexturePack01.esp
0C  HighResTexturePack02.esp
0D  DaedricShieldHiResFix.esp
0E  FXFixSW.esp
0F  Shadow Striping Fix.esp
10  Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp  [Version 1.0]
11  HighResTexturePackFix.esp
12  SoS - The Dungeons.esp  [Version 1.10]
13  SoS - The Wilds.esp  [Version 1.0.1]
14  Better Dynamic Snow.esp
15  Realistic Lighting.esp
16  Realistic Lighting Patcher.esp
17  StaticMeshImprovementMod.esp
18  Crimson Tide - Blood.esp
19  GS.esp
1A  navetsea female face preset.esp
++  SkyMoMod_lists.esp
1B  Tamriel Compendium.esp  [Version 1.0]
1C  Unicorn.esp
1D  ValsCraftingMeltdownAlpha.esp
1E  Auto Unequip Arrows.esp
1F  DYNAVISION Dynamic Depth of Field.esp
20  IMAGINATOR - Visual Control for Skyrim.esp
21  PlayerHomeMapMarkers.esp
22  3rdEraWeaponsMoS.esp
23  Alduin's son.esp
24  ArmoredCircletsQuickFox.esp
25  BlackSacramentArmor.esp
26  BlackSacramentDBreplacer.esp
27  Cloaks.esp
28  Cloaks - No Imperial.esp
29  Cloaks - Player Only.esp
2A  1nivWICCloaksCRAFT.esp
2B  1nivWICCloaks.esp
2C  1nivWICSkyCloaksPatch-No Imp.esp  [Version 1.1]
2D  CrainteVomir.esp
2E  daedric_phelm.esp
2F  DaggerCraft.esp
30  Dragonbone Weapons.esp
31  DragonBoneWeaponsComplete.esp
32  dragonpriestmasks.esp
33  Dread Knight Weapon Set.esp
34  DwarvenMech.esp
35  Northborn Fur Hoods.esp
36  EtherealEdge.esp
37  FionaOutfit.esp
38  Gearblade.esp
39  Gizmodian-Obliviweapons.esp
3A  HentaiNightmareArmor.esp
3B  HentaisJamellaArmor.esp
3C  HentaisTemplePlateArmor.esp
3D  isilNarsil.esp
3E  KaraByNausicaa.esp
3F  Nicoroshi Creations.esp  [Version 1.0]
40  Omegared99-Compilation.esp
41  Omegared99-WeaponSets.esp
42  Omegared99-Compilation-NPC Plugin.esp
43  R18Pn - Leere  Armor.esp
44  Remodeled Armor.esp
45  ThalmorStandalone.esp
46  TrissArmorRetextured.esp
47  WarchiefArmor.esp
48  Smithing Perks Overhaul - Balanced.esp
49  Weapons and Armor fixes.esp
4A  Weapons and Armor fixes - Hacks.esp
4B  Complete Crafting Overhaul - BS version.esp
4C  DeadlyDragons.esp
4D  DeadlyDragonsArmory.esp
4E  Beautiful Whiterun.esp
4F  BlackTowerUpdate.esp
50  BreezehomeEnchantingTable.esp
51  moonpath_questdata.esp
52  RealisticWhiterun.esp
53  Review Studio.esp
54  The Asteria - Dwemer Airship.esp
55  armored-horses.esp
56  Headbomb's Better Sorting - Ingredients.esp
++  Headbomb's Better Sorting - Ammo.esp
57  Headbomb's Better Sorting - Food (Light Weight).esp
58  Headbomb's Better Sorting - Potions (Light Weight).esp
59  Headbomb's Better Sorting - Books.esp
++  Headbomb's Better Sorting - Miscellaneous.esp
5A  Headbomb's Better Sorting - Soul Gems (PseudoVanilla).esp
5B  Headbomb's Better Sorting - Spells.esp
++  LaFemmeLycana.esp
++  OpenFaceHelmets.esp
5C  WATER.esp  [Version 1.3]
5D  WATER - Get Wet.esp
5E  Uncle Sheo.esp
5F  UnreadBooksGlow.esp  [Version 1.3]
60  VariousGuardReplacer.esp
61  Unique Region Names.esp  [Version 2.1]
62  VampireOverhaul.esp
63  Lycanthropy_Main_by_Brevi.esp
64  UBW.esp
65  dovahkiinrelax.esp
66  DeadlySpellImpacts.esp
67  ELEMEarthPrison.esp
68  Added_Killmoves_All_Weapons+Last_Enemy_Limit_Removed.esp
69  Added_Slow_Motion_to_1stPerson_with_1st_Person_Only.esp
6A  Balanced_Alteraton.esp
6B  Balanced_Conjuration.esp
6C  Balanced_Destruction.esp
6D  Balanced_Illusion.esp
6E  Balanced_Restoration.esp
++  Balanced_Magic_Novice.esp
6F  LovelyHairstyles.esp
70  numenume Hair.esp
71  TheEyesofBeauty.esp
72  First Person Messages.esp
73  Animated Weapon Enchants.esp
74  RCRN Pure - Hybrid Shaders.esp
75  Bashed Patch, 0.esp
76  bibeau_weapons.esp
77  WastsBlackHandAmulet.esp
78  Oblivion Weaponry.esp
79  Overlook Tower - MAINv1.9b.esp
7A  HentaiMaxiCBBE3ByNausicaa.esp
7B  decap_chance_50.esp
7C  killmoverandom-80-L.esp
7D  Gatti9Reina.esp
7E  TorchesForSkyrim.esp
7F  numenume femalebrows MARO.esp

Edited by deathjam

Load the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp immediately after the last .esm file and the bashed patch last, to start.

Which Wrye Bash version and what BOSS version are you running?

Console commands can be problematic, especially those that can change PC characteristics. Do other console commands work without causing the freeze problem? If they do work and only that one command causes a freeze, there is something about your character that the console can't find/load or sort out so it stops. Try creating a new character (backup your current saves) and see if the console command works for the new character.

Changed the load order. No change in problems.

Wrye Bash version is 296 and Boss version is 2.0 or at least the version that has changed it's methods of managing load order, and only the 296 version of Wrye Bash can pickup and understand. The problems persisted before I got wrye Bash 295.5, and changing it to 296 didn't help with this problem.

Console commands like fov worked fine with my character.

Incidentally, now that I messed around with the customisation mods in uninstalling and reinstalling them, my character seems to have totally black eyes, and a different warpaint so I REALLY want to access showracemenu now lol rather than just for vanity reasons before. Ah, I forgot to mention that this is the second new character I made recently, as I had the same problems with another new character that I made beforehand.

Ok weird thing has happened. Installing Bella's Beautiful Females mod again has the showracemenu working. It was installed when creating my old characters, but not when making my new ones. Does this make any sense?

EDIT: Gets even weirder now as basically returning the game to how it was before I even made this post and the showracemenu works still. But crashes now happen if I try to change race, or bring up the game menu. And of course game still CTD's if I try to return to main menu.

Edited by deathjam

As I mentioned, console commands in Skyrim are not as good as one expects and can be problematic to the game. The commands can change game code and once changed may cause problems. I rarely use commands except as a last resort as they can cause serious problems, including crashing the game.

Your character is also linked to Steam as Steam does record awards and achievements for the character. I am not sure where this is saved, but it is saved somewhere even when offline as going online updates the achievements on Steam. This causes me to wonder if this may be causing you the problem as freezing of the game is typically due to a conflict that the computer cannot resolve. Again, it may just be the command is bugged as it did work, then got problematic (didn't always work) and finally failed to work and freezes. That sounds like a problem that got progressively worse.

I had the "TCL" bug myself. I rarely use commands but TCL is one I use as I tend to go exploring and get stuck, especially in the mountains. I turned TCL "off" once to get out of a jam and it would not turn back "on" so that was pretty much a game breaker. The only way I could resolve it was uninstall and reinstall the game. Sorry, thats probably not what you wanted to hear, but as I said, console commands are problematic and tend to cause as many problems as they resolve.

Yeah, I rarely use them but have after installing and updating some mods, wanted to apply some of those changes to my old characters. For now, it works in some fashion so I will leave it there and hope some future updates in SKSE and skyrim itself magically sort out the bugs I am having as it has happened before. Thanks for the response. Edited by deathjam

• 1 month later...
I was having the same issue. I am running Apachii, MToH, Lovely hair as well as coolism's hair and 3 or 4 eye mods. I also use extended colors. It would freeze up or ctd quite a bit but not always. I tried Bella, coverwomen or univision without any change. I tried uninstalling a hairpack and was able to run showracemenu. It started to act up again so I tried uninstalling another hair mod and still had the ctd. After working around with different combos with mixed results, I had a brainstorm it wasn't any of the mods I used it was were I was in the world. What I did was enter a small room with absolutely nothing in it and have had zero issues with running all of my appearance mods. This might work for you might not. I am running over 200 mods quite a few are graphic intensive. I am guessing because it has to load up so much information before running showracemenu that it bogs down my pc.

• 3 weeks later...

After working around with different combos with mixed results, I had a brainstorm it wasn't any of the mods I used it was were I was in the world. What I did was enter a small room with absolutely nothing in it and have had zero issues with running all of my appearance mods. This might work for you might not. I am running over 200 mods quite a few are graphic intensive. I am guessing because it has to load up so much information before running showracemenu that it bogs down my pc.

For anyone having the same problem, this actually does work. When I first created a new character with a custom race (With the life another life mod, choosing the ship crash option), the SRM command works fine, but after swimming near Dawnstar and then trying to use the command, it would stop working. I am guessing it has something to do with NPCs being loaded in the world or something. The command only seems to work only if there are no NPC's/mobs around.

• 1 month later...

I was experiencing the showracemenu freeze. For me entering a small room usually didn't help. However there seems to be (at least) two other solutions:

1. If you install the Dawnguard DLC you can find an NPC in the Ragged Flagon who will give you the option alter your appearance. This costs 1000 septims and it gives you access to only a subset of the Race Menu. The NPC will refuse to help you if you are a vampire, however.
  2. The mod ShowRaceMenu Alternative gave me full access to the Race Menu via a spell. My game did not freeze.

I hope this is helpful.