• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

deathjam

deathjam

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
Having returned to skyrim after the recent patches and updating all of my mods, I have a few issues that weren't present a few months ago.

I noticed that when I returned to the main menu, my game would crash. 1/20 this would not happen but decided to ignore as I could not figure out what had changed apart from SKSE update and the various patches along with updates to mods that worked fine with each other before. I read the readme's and forums of the ones that would likely conflict with each other such as Deadly Dragons and the Dragonbone crafting pack and sorted out the problems with those, but nothing pointed me to a fix for not crashing on the main menu, apart from having next to no mods installed.

Deciding on a fresh start, I decided to install some new mods, get rid of some buggy ones and start a new character. Playing is fine, game never ctds, frame rate is around the 40s, but whenever I use the console command, 'Showracemenu', my game freezes. The sounds play in the background, but no amount of waiting or controller input gives any response. There were points where this would not happen, but now it just happens all the time. I do have a lot of hair and face mods installed, but uninstalling them did not help the problem. Even running the game with none of the customisation mods made a difference so I am totally stumped.

I use Boss, NMM and Wrye Bash with bashed patch to manage my mods and their load order.

System Specs:

Core i5 2500k 3.4 ghz OC to 4.7 Ghz
120GB SSD
2TB HDD <- game installed here
500 GB HDD
16GB 1600 mhz DDR3 ram
2x Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire 1.5GB GDDR5 RAM - soon to be exchanged for 1 Radeon HD 7850

Load Order below:

Spoiler

Edited by deathjam, 23 April 2012 - 03:28 PM.

Tidus44

Tidus44

Alex Blaine Layder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 738 posts
Load the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp immediately after the last .esm file and the bashed patch last, to start.

Which Wrye Bash version and what BOSS version are you running?

Console commands can be problematic, especially those that can change PC characteristics. Do other console commands work without causing the freeze problem? If they do work and only that one command causes a freeze, there is something about your character that the console can't find/load or sort out so it stops. Try creating a new character (backup your current saves) and see if the console command works for the new character.

deathjam

deathjam

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
Changed the load order. No change in problems.

Wrye Bash version is 296 and Boss version is 2.0 or at least the version that has changed it's methods of managing load order, and only the 296 version of Wrye Bash can pickup and understand. The problems persisted before I got wrye Bash 295.5, and changing it to 296 didn't help with this problem.

Console commands like fov worked fine with my character.

Incidentally, now that I messed around with the customisation mods in uninstalling and reinstalling them, my character seems to have totally black eyes, and a different warpaint so I REALLY want to access showracemenu now lol rather than just for vanity reasons before. Ah, I forgot to mention that this is the second new character I made recently, as I had the same problems with another new character that I made beforehand.

deathjam

deathjam

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
Ok weird thing has happened. Installing Bella's Beautiful Females mod again has the showracemenu working. It was installed when creating my old characters, but not when making my new ones. Does this make any sense?

EDIT: Gets even weirder now as basically returning the game to how it was before I even made this post and the showracemenu works still. But crashes now happen if I try to change race, or bring up the game menu. And of course game still CTD's if I try to return to main menu.

Edited by deathjam, 23 April 2012 - 05:38 PM.

Tidus44

Tidus44

Alex Blaine Layder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 738 posts
As I mentioned, console commands in Skyrim are not as good as one expects and can be problematic to the game. The commands can change game code and once changed may cause problems. I rarely use commands except as a last resort as they can cause serious problems, including crashing the game.

Your character is also linked to Steam as Steam does record awards and achievements for the character. I am not sure where this is saved, but it is saved somewhere even when offline as going online updates the achievements on Steam. This causes me to wonder if this may be causing you the problem as freezing of the game is typically due to a conflict that the computer cannot resolve. Again, it may just be the command is bugged as it did work, then got problematic (didn't always work) and finally failed to work and freezes. That sounds like a problem that got progressively worse.

I had the "TCL" bug myself. I rarely use commands but TCL is one I use as I tend to go exploring and get stuck, especially in the mountains. I turned TCL "off" once to get out of a jam and it would not turn back "on" so that was pretty much a game breaker. The only way I could resolve it was uninstall and reinstall the game. Sorry, thats probably not what you wanted to hear, but as I said, console commands are problematic and tend to cause as many problems as they resolve.

deathjam

deathjam

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
Yeah, I rarely use them but have after installing and updating some mods, wanted to apply some of those changes to my old characters. For now, it works in some fashion so I will leave it there and hope some future updates in SKSE and skyrim itself magically sort out the bugs I am having as it has happened before. Thanks for the response.

Edited by deathjam, 23 April 2012 - 06:09 PM.

Choden

Choden

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
I was having the same issue. I am running Apachii, MToH, Lovely hair as well as coolism's hair and 3 or 4 eye mods. I also use extended colors. It would freeze up or ctd quite a bit but not always. I tried Bella, coverwomen or univision without any change. I tried uninstalling a hairpack and was able to run showracemenu. It started to act up again so I tried uninstalling another hair mod and still had the ctd. After working around with different combos with mixed results, I had a brainstorm it wasn't any of the mods I used it was were I was in the world. What I did was enter a small room with absolutely nothing in it and have had zero issues with running all of my appearance mods. This might work for you might not. I am running over 200 mods quite a few are graphic intensive. I am guessing because it has to load up so much information before running showracemenu that it bogs down my pc.

CptVara

CptVara

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

After working around with different combos with mixed results, I had a brainstorm it wasn't any of the mods I used it was were I was in the world. What I did was enter a small room with absolutely nothing in it and have had zero issues with running all of my appearance mods. This might work for you might not. I am running over 200 mods quite a few are graphic intensive. I am guessing because it has to load up so much information before running showracemenu that it bogs down my pc.

For anyone having the same problem, this actually does work. When I first created a new character with a custom race (With the life another life mod, choosing the ship crash option), the SRM command works fine, but after swimming near Dawnstar and then trying to use the command, it would stop working. I am guessing it has something to do with NPCs being loaded in the world or something. The command only seems to work only if there are no NPC's/mobs around.

donhey

donhey

• Premium Member
  • 10 posts
I was experiencing the showracemenu freeze. For me entering a small room usually didn't help. However there seems to be (at least) two other solutions:

• If you install the Dawnguard DLC you can find an NPC in the Ragged Flagon who will give you the option alter your appearance. This costs 1000 septims and it gives you access to only a subset of the Race Menu. The NPC will refuse to help you if you are a vampire, however.
  • The mod ShowRaceMenu Alternative gave me full access to the Race Menu via a spell. My game did not freeze.

I hope this is helpful.

vasthrana

vasthrana

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Like donhey says in his no2. Use that mod to access the race menu.

You can also try using Enhanced Editor v2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Page loaded in: 0.882 seconds