• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Dheuster

Dheuster

Faithful poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts
Amazing Follower Tweaks manages a maximum of 32 followers and allows only 5 of those followers to follow you. A common request from users is that I increase those numbers. So I thought I would post a little blurb explaining why I can't. My design involves a lot of scripting. Each follower has no less than 10 AI scripts monitoring them at all times providing AFTs functionality. This allows some very cool, fine grained control over your followers. For example, being able to tell your followers what you want them to wear or what spells to cast and the conditions to cast them, or when to heal the PC or transform into werewolf (/vampire in 1.5). Basically, AFT specializes in behaviors that aren't supported by the vanilla game through the extensive use of scripting. Unfortunately, scripting is expensive, aside from chewing up CPU cycles, lots of scripts running at the same time can conflict with each other. This is one of the reasons AFT was created. If you installed 12 mods to do the things AFT does, there would inevitably be scripting conflicts. By having 1 mod manage all those scripted behaviors, the PROBABILITY of those conflicts goes down... but it is still a problem. Especially as the number of scripts increase. The more followers I add, the more scripts that are constantly running and thus the slower and less stable the game becomes. With 32 managed followers, there are slightly over 300 scripts running. (roughly 10 per managed NPC). When a follower is following you, their scripts kick into a higher gear and run more often and consume more CPU cycles. But all scripts are always running in some form, even when followers are not following you. So while this mod can do some very cool things that you are unlikely to find in other follower mods, the implementation means it doesn't scale well. I am already pushing the limits of what slower machines can handle with 32/5. The good news is, there are some excellent mods out there that allow more followers. Mods like Ultimate Follower Overhaul and Extensible Follower Framework. I have nothing but respect for these mods and their authors. If you are looking for more followers than what AFT offers, I highly recommend either one of these. Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope you enjoy AFT should you decide to use it. =)

Edited by Dheuster, 17 October 2012 - 02:27 PM.

orangeflame88

orangeflame88

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
5 followers sounds good that's all I wanted. Can't wait for it.

orangeflame88

orangeflame88

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
5 followers sounds good that's all I wanted. Can't wait for it.

Horian

Horian

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts
This V. @Dheuster but... UFO and AFT don't stack thenselves... Look: I have 3 followers (tweaks limit) then a install the UFO i can't recruit other followers. Or if i Have 4 follower (using only UFO) and install AFT, one of them "leave" (A.k.a don't respond to commands, but the dialogs are shown and working (dimiss don't work too)). Did you know how to fix it? this mod would be better if the cap of followers increase... I Would use only AFT ^ ^ 5 followers would be PERFECT, i don't want to found a clan "Blades Rivals" with 200 members to fight War of Skyrim.... i just want a balanced team, like Adventurers and Travelers, I play only in Master Dificult, with mods thats enfatize realistc things (hungry, thirst, tired, hypotermia, no fast travel (unless with caravans) more mobs, and the balancement of SkyRe. So more followers would make this mod be the best follower mod of all. ^^

Edited by Horian, 18 June 2012 - 11:17 PM.

Ansury

Ansury

Journeyman

• Premium Member
  • 23 posts
So, is there a prohibitive amount of work involved in increasing the number, or is it as simple as setting a constant or some other trivial change? Performance is a good consideration, but it'd be great if players could decide what this cap should be individually (since performance varies some by PC). I'd suggest thinking about just dropping in a disclaimer/warning about going beyond the cap, and at least that'd head off the constant requests for raising the cap. Another (possibly better) option which may or may not be hard to do is to allow for *additional* vanilla companions or feature-reduced "dumb" companions after the 3-5 "Amazing" ones. That'd probably satisfy almost everyone. Personally I think it'd be cool to march around wreaking havoc with a military-like squad of soldiers (say 10 or so), even if only a few of them support advanced features. (Although... getting the extras to walk in a single or double column/line formation for roads would probably be needed, huh? :) )

Edited by Ansury, 14 July 2012 - 10:51 PM.

Tsarivor

Tsarivor

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I've got this mod in conjunction with 'Extensive follower framework', I simply placed it to load after this mod and my follower capacity is overriden to 100. Simples. Besides you should dismiss ALL followers before installing this mod. Btw very lovely mod, I can finally turn my vagabond mercenary force into a werewolf brotherhood.

Edited by Tsarivor, 18 July 2012 - 06:14 PM.

tidaka

tidaka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
I have to say out of UFO, AFT, EFF, and the few others I tried AFT is the best, I use two mods along side it to make it flow quite well. those mods being... http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/15272 Being a simple home that is pack up and take with you. http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/18045 Allows me to dismiss followers to that home. It makes a great way of having A great way to Have lots of followers at your disposal at any given time. Allowing me to tweak my follower lode out. This helps me stay organised and adventuring for as long as I please, not having to stop to get a diffident follower or set of followers. I can go as long as I want and when I'm done I just plop down the tent in a city and sell all the junk I gather while adventuring. If this allowed me to teach my followers shouts and convert them to Wherewolfs and Vampires without becomeing one myself It would be just that much better.

Edited by tidaka, 05 September 2012 - 03:13 AM.

SmokedOne

SmokedOne

Journeyman

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
Dheuster, first of all I'd like to say your follower mod is definitely amazing and appropriately named. I enjoy it and use it with followers can relax and I see how much scripting goes on in the background. If I enter a modded NPC heavy environment, the game just freezes due to the number of conflicting scripts. I could enter the room whenever I drop down to 1 or no followers due to the lower amount of scripting. Also, I noted a neat little bug where with Dawnguard, you can have Serana join you along with your 5 AFT followers because she is essentially a quest follower and never converts to a regular follower even after the dawnguard quest is beaten. Anyway great job on the mod.

TomSawyer

TomSawyer

Faithful poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts
For my personal needs 5 is realy enough. I doubt i will use 5 at once because it makes the game much more easy. One place i know where lots of followers were needed (in my last modded game) and that was the quest rescuing gray-mane from the thalmor.

Edited by TomSawyer, 08 January 2013 - 09:13 PM.

otrapersona

otrapersona

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I think everything is ok

Page loaded in: 1.056 seconds