Why Mod?

erehwonnz

-What motivates you to mod (and learn the technical process of modding), to download mods (and learn how to use/troubleshoot them), and participate in the Nexus?

Well, it all started back when I was about 12, when I first started hearing about mods for games like TES and GTA. I was always amazed at what the modding community could do, and when I got Oblivion for the PC when I was 13, I started to read a few tutorials for the CK and just learning how to mod in general. I made little texture adjustments on armor and clothing that suited my play-style. It was only until I found the Nexus that I started uploading mods to websites, to share my work.

-How did you learn to mod or use mods? What role has the Nexus community played in that learning?

Well, I learned it all off of my own back really, I mean some things in the CK were self-explanatory, but some things I had to look up on the Nexus or ask for help on the forums. I'd say the Nexus has played a fairly big role in my learning.

-What can people outside the Nexus learn (skills, approaches to the internet, working in online communities) from what goes on on the Nexus and in modding communities? Alternatively, do other communities lack something (e.g. Steam)?

Well, because I haven't really been a member of the modding community for that long, (I'm only 14) I can't really say much about this. However, I would like to say that I don't think that Steam has the friendly 'atmosphere' that the Nexus does, if you get what I mean. The Nexus seems like a very comfortable place to come and share your mods and ideas, opposed to Steam.

Edited by RitchieTheMerc