shivering isles patch not working

hey i recently got the shivering isles and it was really buggy so i got the patch for it but thewont work. it comes up with the old file found.however,a file with the same name was found.no update done since file contents do not match. I am sure i am getting the right patch but it just wont work the same thing happens every time.i dont know if it could be the oblivion patch wont work with the shivering isles patch and i what are cracks i am sure my game doesnt have any cracks cause i dont know what they are lol

please some 1 help me this is an EMERGENCY! i really wonna play shivering isles!

cheers :thumbsup:

What that message is saying is your game is already patched. But if you didn't have SI before, it shouldn't have been. If you try to install the latest Oblivion patch over the SI patch you will get that, but not if you are patching SI over the latest Oblivion patch.

You may need to reinstall Oblivion - Here is my reinstall procedure that will save all of your mods and save games. Plus give you a back up clean install.

When you uninstall Oblivion it doesn't really uninstall everything. Then when you start adding mods before you have started the game, some things may not get initialized properly. Here is my recommended procedure for uninstalling and reinstalling.

It does not remove your mods, save games or Oblivion.ini. It also does not remove helper programs such as OBSE, OBMM, Wrye Bash, The construction set or any other programs you have installed in the \Oblivion folder or the save game folder. I recommend that you go ahead and delete them, then re download and install them again later.

I would appreciate any feedback on this as it is something I expect to post often and I hate to give bogus or useless information.

Uninstalling Oblivion

My instructions assume you are using Windows XP and have installed Oblivion into the default location. If you are using Vista or Linux, the file locations may be different, however, the procedure will be the same.

For a full reinstall, first you can try to preserve your mods and save games. I recommend that you save them in a new folder with a new name. Create the new folder in C:\Program files\Bethesda Softworks. Name it Old Files. So it will be C:\Program Files\Bethesda softworks\Old files.

Then copy the data folder where your mods are to the new folder - do not erase them, copy them. And in the new folder, rename the \data folder to \olddata. Then copy and rename the folder that has your saved games and Oblivion.ini, C:\documents and settings\your user name\my documents\My Games\oblivion to something like \My games\Old Oblivion - this saves your saved games and the oblivion.ini file.

Then, using the original CD, NOT the Launcher on your Hard drive. Select uninstall.

After it completes the uninstall, reboot your computer - this is important as it allows Windows to remove some references to the original Oblivion.

This would be the time to erase all of the helper programs you have in the \Oblivion folder. Such as OBMM, OBSE and some others. The simplest way is to erase the folder completely. The new install will re create the folder for you along with a fresh oblivion.ini and when you start the game and make a save, a new save folder and new \data folder.

This would also be a good time to do a file clean up and defragment your hard drive.

Now to Reinstall.

Again using the original CD, install Oblivion.

Before adding any mods, patches, helper programs, Shivering Isles or anything else, start the game and make a save. This initializes some stuff that needs to be initialized.

If you are using the Game of the Year version of Oblivion you should not need any patches, skip the patching part.

Now, If you DO NOT use Shivering Isles, patch the game using ONLY the latest Oblivion patch. All of the stuff from the earlier patches is included.

Be sure you use the proper language patch. If you use the wrong one it may work, but with a strange mixture of languages. (Germanglish?) Or it may crash.

NOTE: there are two English Patches UK & US and they are different. (Some people actually think we speak the same language) Use the one that matches your original disk.

If you use Shivering Isles, Install it now. DO NOT install the Oblivion patch. Install Shivering Isles, then ONLY the latest Shivering Isles patch. All of the updates for Oblivion are included. There is only one Shivering Isles patch for both US & UK English

Now, again start the game and make a save. Test to be sure everything is working right (No purple objects or yellow blocks)

Before adding any mods, back up both your \data folder and the save game folder. Copy them, don't move or rename them, to a different folder - such as \Bethesda\Clean Oblivion\data and \Bethesda\clean Oblivion\saves. Note that this is a different folder than the one used for your old data and saves.

Note, Your Oblivion.ini file is in the same folder, but separate from, the save game folder.

Now, if you want to try to run with your old mods, first rename the original folders. The \data folder to \newdata and the \oldata back to \data. this restores all of your mods. You should now have 2 data folders \data, and \newdata in your \oblivion folder

To restore your original saves and ini file, rename the new My Games\Oblivion to something like \New Oblivion. and the \Old oblivion to \oblivion - this restores all of your saved games and your original Oblivion.ini file.

DO NOT erase the files you renamed. These are your backup files in case the original mods do not work or give you the same problem.

If you have the same problem, it is most likely caused by a mod. However, you now have a clean install to fall back on. You can rename the files back to what they were and be back to your clean install without having to reinstall again.

Sounds like lots of work, but you will have a clean install and a back up clean install when you are finished.

Post your comments here: http://s1.zetaboards.com/TheStormRavenLibrary/forum/236320/

um thanks for that i am not really good with computers and i got confused about at the 3rd lne and then u just lost me.this is really frustrating i did copy all my data from my oblivion data folder into a new 1 but my computer said that there isnt enough free disk space or somthing like that and i couldnt copy everything so now i am just really pissed,confused and frustrated.

sorry i dont understand i am not a computer wiz :wacko:

cheers :thumbsup:

some one please help me i am relaly lost and dont know what to do? isnt there any one else that can help me?

please i am getting desperate on what to do.

hope at least some one can help. :verymad:

Did you crack your exe? this happens when you crack your exe with a no cd/dvd cracks... If that is the case, the patch cannot write over the exe file since it is not the original exe file, it is the replaced exe... The name might be the same but the size does not match etc etc...

You need to do is uninstall Oblivion and everything, then install the patches, expansions and stuff...

When this error occurs the warning should give you the file name, check it out if it is the oblivion.exe or something exe...

Hope it helps :D

PS: You say that you dont know what a crack is, if you are 100% sure that you didnt crack the game using no cd/dvd cracks, you need to uninstall everything (sorry) and apply every official patch expansion before you install mods, OBSE and other stuff...

well i cant back up any of my mods or saved games into another file so if i uninstall oblivion and reinstall in does that mean i lose all my mods and saved games?

please tell me i dont cause that will piss me off so badly.

cheers mate :thumbsup:

EDIT: and also how do you crack your oblivion.exe?

I could see not having enough disk space for the entire Oblivion folder. That is large. But if you don't have enough for just the data folder, you need to clean up your Hard disk and get rid of some of the space hogs. Look for some older games you no longer play and get rid of them.

Or, it is possible you have something in your data folder that is taking a lot of space. Such as a copy of the Oblivion folder or something else.

Sometimes Windoze will tell you you don't have enough space when your hard drive is extremely fragmented. There isn't a large enough free piece of space to put a file into. Run the disk cleanup and defrag utility - to find it on an XP system, click on the start in the lower left corner, select all programs - on the list, put your mouse on (do not click) accessories, a new list will appear put the mouse on System tools, click on disk clean up. Follow the instructions to clean up your hard disk.

When that is finished, follow the same instructions and click on Disk Defragmenter.

If you haven't done this recently, it could take quite a while - depending on the size of you disk and how badly fragmented it is.

ok thanks for that so after i have cleaned up the disc and defragmented the hard drive then i should copy my data files then put into a new file and what not then uninstall and reinstall oblivion right? just check to make sure...

cheers mate :thumbsup:

EDIT: ok i am going to clen up my disc space i am not sure if any of these things are important or not they are:

temporary internet files

setup log files

temporary files

webclient/publisher temporary files

compress old folders

catalog files for the content indexer.

Yes dude, put all your needy files in a folder put it somewhere safe, in fact burn it on a DVD, then uninstall Oblivion, delete everything possible, then make a fresh install then expansions then patches, then mods and your saves...

Hope it helps... :D

None of the files you listed are important. Go ahead and clean them.

Temporary files are put on your drive for use for a short time, hey can be deleted.

Log files are to keep a record of something. they are useful for a tech or network administrator, but not usually for a user - go ahead and delete them.

The compress old folders takes any folders you haven't used in a while and compresses them to save space. If you ever need them again, they will be automatically uncompressed.

Catalog files is windows sorting and putting your files in a listing that allows search to work faster. Not really necessary unless you are doing searches for data on your hard drive and want the search to run faster.

Be sure to run the defrag after the cleanup to recover the space used by the files you delete during the clean up.

Archived