Skyrim closes when I try to load any save

Mckrty

It may have corrupted the save file. It happens occasionally.

Look in your saves folder (C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Saves by default on Windows 7). Look for the most recent file with a .bak extention and rename it with a .ess extention. If there is already a .ess file with that same name, rename it to something else first. Restart Skyrim and try to load that save.

If they aren't activated yet they shouldn't affect the game.

Did Rooker75's tip help?

Nope, guess I'll try Bethsoft for a fix unless someone here has valid solution. Ahh, rat$*it I had just reached lvl 40 :confused:

Start a new game and save after you're in the keep and your bonds are cut. See if you can reload that save. If not, you might need to reinstall Skyrim. If it does load, your previous save files are probably boned.

Start a new game and save after you're in the keep and your bonds are cut. See if you can reload that save. If not, you might need to reinstall Skyrim. If it does load, your previous save files are probably boned.

Heya Rooker75,

I contacted Bethsoft and they said my saves were most likely polluted, so I trashed all my saves and then tried to start a new game and got this lovely feedback from skyrim:

[WETriggerScript<01099883>] WARNING: OnInint () my Hold Location Property Has not been set, this will result in errors.

The only option that is offered is to click Okay and then the same error msg is given 2-3 times (with different characters within the <>). I asked the geniuses at Bethsoft about this and the guy said it's a Steam issue - go take it up with Steam support. Logged on to steam and it began updating Skyrim (I let it complete, thought it might help with any problems.) I then tried to start a new game again and got the same error messages. Do you have any suggestions?:(

Installing the CK (Creation Kit) from Steam has fixed this for some people.

Thanks fms1, I didn't need to do that and finally fixed it. It cost me lvl 40 char but at least all is working again. I had to trash all my saves and uninstall NMM (dunno if the problem was NMM or one of my mods) but it's all good now. :dance: