Help with Mods

gguhlian

Skyrim is not reliable for mod usage. There are a lot of people who don't have various particular mods work for them for reasons that have not been adequately explained.

There are a few things to check before giving up and downloading some different mods which will likely work just fine for you:

(1) Make sure you installed all the folders in the proper directories.

(2) Make sure you activated the .esp files.

(3) Make sure your load order is correct and that some of your mods are not breaking and rendering inoperative others of your mods.

(4) Make sure you are using the correct language of mods. If you have English Skyrim, then you need to only use mods that were made in English or properly translated to English.

(5) Make sure you are not using Windows 7 / Windows Vista. If you are, make sure that you did not install Skyrim in Program Files / Program Files (X86). You may need to reinstall Skyrim elsewhere to fix this issue.

(6) Make sure you are not suffering excessive lag. Lag can prevent some mods from working right.

If none of this works, then use a different computer, or use different mods.

Skyrim is not reliable for mod usage. There are a lot of people who don't have various particular mods work for them for reasons that have not been adequately explained.

There are a few things to check before giving up and downloading some different mods which will likely work just fine for you:

(3) Make sure your load order is correct and that some of your mods are not breaking and rendering inoperative others of your mods.

(4) Make sure you are using the correct language of mods. If you have English Skyrim, then you need to only use mods that were made in English or properly translated to English.

(5) Make sure you are not using Windows 7 / Windows Vista. If you are, make sure that you did not install Skyrim in Program Files / Program Files (X86). You may need to reinstall Skyrim elsewhere to fix this issue.

(6) Make sure you are not suffering excessive lag. Lag can prevent some mods from working right.

Good advice but I'm kind of curious about number 5. I may have missed it but this is the first I have heard about there being an issue with installing Skyrim in Program Files / Program Files (x86). I'm on Windows 7 and my installation is in Program Files (x86) and I have never had any problems using mods. Just wondering if you have any more info on this.

Thank You for Your Reply,

Ok step 4 I am sure its in English because it works for my friend, Step 5 I already did that and still no result, however when I tried 1 mod at a time it worked, and when I added more then one the first mod went away and none of the mods worked, I reinstalled the game in a diffrent folder, and tried it and it didn't work. Step 6 there is no lag what so ever, I'm running the game as High as it can go. What is the correct load order?? And whenever I change/add "[Launcher], and or bEnableFileSelection=1" in the skyrim launcher "Data Files" becomes available, but when I try to start the game, I get past "Bethasda Sound" amd then the Skyrim Main Menu Logo appearece for less then a second and the game just shuts down(crashes, turns offs, etc..) How do you activate the .esp files manually?? Or is it the best to install Mods through Nexus Mod Manger??

Best Regards,

Eugenie

Good advice but I'm kind of curious about number 5. I may have missed it but this is the first I have heard about there being an issue with installing Skyrim in Program Files / Program Files (x86). I'm on Windows 7 and my installation is in Program Files (x86) and I have never had any problems using mods. Just wondering if you have any more info on this.

I am curious too, i am on win7 x64 ultimate and Skyrim is in the default folder for steam on the drive i specified when i installed Steam. possible confusion with pirated versions of Skyrim since they will default install to the 32 bit programs default location?

Thank You everyone but I figured it on my own!

If anyone has the same problems then this is what I did:

Back up before doing this!

Step 1: Reinstall the game in a different folder ex:Desktop/New Folder/The Elder Scrold IV: Skyrim

Step 2: Instal all the mods MANUALY, meaning extract all the files in the .zip file, unless if its a readme, or multiple folders that contain different version of the mod. Like the maps mods.

Step 3: Go to your Save Directory, open up "SkyrimPrefs.ini" and replace the information in the file with this(There will be step 4):

[General]

fBrightLightColorB=1.0000

fBrightLightColorG=1.0000

fBrightLightColorR=1.0000

iStoryManagerLoggingEvent=-1

bEnableStoryManagerLogging=0

[imagespace]

bDoDepthOfField=1

iRadialBlurLevel=0

[Display]

iBlurDeferredShadowMask=0

fInteriorShadowDistance=3000.0000

fShadowDistance=2000.0000

iShadowMapResolutionSecondary=1024

iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=2048

iShadowSplitCount=2

iMaxAnisotropy=1

fLeafAnimDampenDistEnd=4600.0000

fLeafAnimDampenDistStart=3600.0000

fTreesMidLODSwitchDist=0.0000

fGamma=1.0000

iShadowFilter=3

fDecalLOD2=1500.0000

fDecalLOD1=1000.0000

fSpecularLODStartFade=500.0000

fShadowLODStartFade=200.0000

fLightLODStartFade=1000.0000

iTexMipMapMinimum=0

iTexMipMapSkip=0

bTransparencyMultisampling=0

iWaterMultiSamples=0

iMultiSample=1

iShadowMode=3

bTreesReceiveShadows=0

bDrawLandShadows=0

bDrawShadows=1

bFull Screen=0

iSize H=450

iSize W=800

fMeshLODFadePercentDefault=1.2000

fMeshLODFadeBoundDefault=256.0000

fMeshLODLevel2FadeTreeDistance=2048.0000

fMeshLODLevel1FadeTreeDistance=2844.0000

fMeshLODLevel2FadeDist=3072.0000

fMeshLODLevel1FadeDist=4096.0000

iScreenShotIndex=2

bShadowMaskZPrepass=0

bMainZPrepass=0

iMaxSkinDecalsPerFrame=0

iMaxDecalsPerFrame=0

sD3DDevice="NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT"

bFXAAEnabled=0

iShadowMapResolution=512

fShadowBiasScale=0.5000

iShadowMaskQuarter=3

iAdapter=0

iPresentInterval=0

bFloatPointRenderTarget=1

[Grass]

b30GrassVS=1

fGrassStartFadeDistance=3000.0000

fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance=7000.0000

fGrassMinStartFadeDistance=0.0000

[Water]

iWaterReflectHeight=512

iWaterReflectWidth=512

bUseWaterDisplacements=1

bUseWaterRefractions=1

bUseWaterReflections=1

bUseWaterDepth=1

[MAIN]

bGamepadEnable=1

bCrosshairEnabled=1

fHUDOpacity=1.0000

bSaveOnPause=1

bSaveOnTravel=1

bSaveOnWait=1

bSaveOnRest=1

fSkyCellRefFadeDistance=150000.0000

[GamePlay]

bShowFloatingQuestMarkers=1

bShowQuestMarkers=1

iDifficulty=2

[interface]

bDialogueSubtitles=0

bGeneralSubtitles=0

bShowCompass=1

[Controls]

fGamepadHeadingSensitivity=1.0000

fMouseHeadingSensitivity=0.0125

bAlwaysRunByDefault=1

bInvertYValues=0

bGamePadRumble=1

bMouseAcceleration=1

[Particles]

iMaxDesired=750

[saveGame]

fAutosaveEveryXMins=15.0000

[AudioMenu]

fAudioMasterVolume=1.0000

fVal7=1.0000

uID7=0

fVal6=1.0000

uID6=0

fVal5=1.0000

uID5=0

fVal4=1.0000

uID4=0

fVal3=1.0000

uID3=94881

fVal2=0.4000

uID2=466532

fVal1=1.0000

uID1=554685

fVal0=0.8000

uID0=1007612

[Clouds]

fCloudLevel2Distance=262144.0000

fCloudLevel1Distance=32768.0000

fCloudLevel0Distance=16384.0000

fCloudNearFadeDistance=9000.0000

[TerrainManager]

fTreeLoadDistance=12500.0000

fBlockMaximumDistance=75000.0000

fBlockLevel1Distance=25000.0000

fBlockLevel0Distance=15000.0000

fSplitDistanceMult=0.4000

bShowLODInEditor=0

[NavMesh]

fObstacleAlpha=0.5000

fCoverSideHighAlpha=0.8000

fCoverSideLowAlpha=0.6500

fEdgeFullAlpha=1.0000

fEdgeHighAlpha=0.7500

fEdgeLowAlpha=0.5000

fTriangleFullAlpha=0.7000

fTriangleHighAlpha=0.3500

fTriangleLowAlpha=0.2000

fLedgeBoxHalfHeight=25.0000

fEdgeDistFromVert=10.0000

fEdgeThickness=10.0000

fPointSize=2.5000

[Trees]

bRenderSkinnedTrees=1

uiMaxSkinnedTreesToRender=20

[Decals]

uMaxDecals=0

bDecals=0

bSkinnedDecals=0

uMaxSkinDecals=0

uMaxSkinDecalsPerActor=0

[LOD]

fLODFadeOutMultObjects=2.5000

fLODFadeOutMultItems=3.5000

fLODFadeOutMultActors=2.5000

fLODFadeOutMultSkyCell=1.0000

[Launcher]

bEnableFileSelection=1

bShowAllResolutions=0

uLastAspectRatio=3

[blurShaderHDR]

bDoHighDynamicRange=1

[blurShader]

bUseBlurShader=0

Step 4: Close everything, make sure you have intalled a mod into the "data" folder

Step 5: Launch the launcher go to options and select your graphics options

Step 6: Then select "data files" select the mods you want to use, close the "data files" tab

Step 7: Launch the game, this should remove "game crashe, turns offs, etc.. after the "Bethasda Sounds" logo," and mods not working!

Step 8: Show this to people that have/had same problem!

Step 9: DO NOT say that you created that info, because it was a pain in the ass to figure out the right codes and numbers, for the information in "Step 3"

Created Solution by: gguhlian, and my really good friend who doesn't have an account here because he does not speak english!

Best Regards,

Eugneie

Oh dear. You didn't need to reinstall Skyrim or make a "special" SkyrimPrefs.ini :ohmy:

All you needed to do was to delete the existing Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini and restart the game. Skyrim would then create fresh ini files without the bad settings that were causing the crash :cool: .

Oh dear. You didn't need to reinstall Skyrim or make a "special" SkyrimPrefs.ini :ohmy:

All you needed to do was to delete the existing Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini and restart the game. Skyrim would then create fresh ini files without the bad settings that were causing the crash :cool: .

When I tried that it did not work! I'm not sure why but the "data files" tab was unable to click/open, it was un-silictable!

Sounds like a pirate version to me, otherwise Skyrim HAS TO BE in a subdirectory of Steam\SteamApps\Common\.

The simple way to avoid any possible issues with Windows UAC (which, I suspect, causes most of the problems) is to install Steam somewhere other that [system root]\Program Files....

Personally I have a dedicated games drive G: and my steam installation is G:\Steam\... (and I have zero UAC problems, with either Skyrim, Fallout NV or Dungeon Siege3)

When I tried that it did not work! I'm not sure why but the "data files" tab was unable to click/open, it was un-silictable!

Well yes. Don't forget that you would then have to manually edit the new ini file and add "bEnableFileSelection=1" back in. Skyrim doesn't put that in by default for some reason :biggrin: