Foreign troops on national soil

Maharg67

No offense, i fail to see how any of the last few posts have anything to do with this debate....

YAWN......Digression is the soul of this forum, get used to it..

Noting that this also has nothing to do with the "debate" at hand:

The Nexus debate forum is more like a conversation debating a topic; (and it's supposed to be a friendly conversation at that). There has never been a real debate here, people pay no attention to rules of logic or conduct and it might as easily be here as in your back yard over some beers. This is a conversation with a very informal debate

Digression is the soul of conversation.

Quite frankly sometimes its the side path that is more interesting than the road. Aw Myr, haven't you ever heard of 'Friendly Fire Causalities'? :whistling:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>snip<

But let's be clear that the subject is not slavery but idealized governments, and an idealized government that enforces slavery is not one to be idealized. Libertarian governments would probably not allow foreign boots on the ground, but they certainly allow wealth to dictate policy.

Just curious Myr, what governmental form in your estimation would not let the acquisition of wealth dictate policy? Even the Chinese go down that route so am somewhat at a loss to conjure up a current government that does not bow to that form of economic pressure.

They're all bending to the corporatocracy of globalization, aren't they.

Ideally a true social democracy as opposed to a Republic would be a good start.

And the US government of the mid 20th century was a pretty good place to start.

You wanna know what I really think? I think money ruins everything. I think people who amass an amount of money that is far more than they need, often get spoiled into thinking that they are "more special" and "more deserved" and that those people who do have worries are "less special" and "less deserved".

Max Weber wrote extensively about a divine providence aspect of capitalism, beyond that true statement I'm really not at liberty to pursue the full extent of it here, but I think it is at the heart of this still significant pervasive influence, however in my experience, I'll just say, the Chinese should have stuck with the ideals of Confucius.

Myr, Do you mean as in The Protestant Ethic? Why can I not get my 'puter to do what I want it to do :wallbash:

Who else can you recommend? I would like to read more...

>snip<

But let's be clear that the subject is not slavery but idealized governments, and an idealized government that enforces slavery is not one to be idealized. Libertarian governments would probably not allow foreign boots on the ground, but they certainly allow wealth to dictate policy.

Just curious Myr, what governmental form in your estimation would not let the acquisition of wealth dictate policy? Even the Chinese go down that route so am somewhat at a loss to conjure up a current government that does not bow to that form of economic pressure.

They're all bending to the corporatocracy of globalization, aren't they.

Ideally a true social democracy as opposed to a Republic would be a good start.

And the US government of the mid 20th century was a pretty good place to start.

You wanna know what I really think? I think money ruins everything. I think people who amass an amount of money that is far more than they need, often get spoiled into thinking that they are "more special" and "more deserved" and that those people who do have worries are "less special" and "less deserved".

Max Weber wrote extensively about a divine providence aspect of capitalism, beyond that true statement I'm really not at liberty to pursue the full extent of it here, but I think it is at the heart of this still significant pervasive influence, however in my experience, I'll just say, the Chinese should have stuck with the ideals of Confucius.

Myr, Do you mean as in The Protestant Ethic? Why can I not get my 'puter to do what I want it to do :wallbash:

Who else can you recommend? I would like to read more...

More about the protestant roots of Capitalism?

Capitalism as we know it evolved from the unprecedented rise of the merchant class in europe, those interesting and endlessly fascinating guilds we all roleplay in our tes games were integral to its evolution from humble calvanist cottage industry beginnings.

I'm not really sure if anyone besides Max Weber has done much with it, but it's fascinating, and I'll be surprised if no one has. Certainly there is a book there.