Skyrim 2k HD vs Serious HD vs Realistic Overhaul vs Insanity

theuprising

Anyone know the pros and cons of each? I think, landscape-wise, Serious looks very similar to Realistic Overhaul, and is slightly more true to vanilla.

I've been using 2k HD for the longest time since I didn't know there were any other texture mods, and barely ever noticed the textures. Skyrim 2k HD is by far the most realistic of the bunch, and looks great under ENB, but I think it looks really bad under vanilla color balance. Serious/SRO have textures that jump out at you more even in the desaturated vanilla skyrim because everything is bump mapped and the textures are shiny and portray large objects, rather than hundreds of small ones.

So for someone sticking to vanilla until RL v4 comes out, would you recommend SRO/Serious? And has anyone had any experience with insanity?

EDIT: A texture mod comparision:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=14632

I don't feel it covers EVERYTHING, the main thing is that Serious has more bump mapped stuff than SRO, and portrays the biggest objects, while SRO goes for smaller, and 2kHD goes for even smaller.

Edited by theuprising

K after more testing, I think Serious stands out more than SRO, but sometimes its just unrealistic and ugly. One place where I HAD to overwrite Serious with something else were the pine forest textures, there's so many shiny dead leaves on the ground, in places that there are NO TREES.

SRO is the much more truer than 2k HD when it comes to towns and structures, but sometimes, really, all they did was take the vanilla texture and up its resolution a tad bit, so it still looks blurry. But if you want a vanilla enhanced a bit, SRO is the way to go. I use the LITE version so sometimes the blurriness gets unbearable, so I may switch back. 2kHD makes better use of all its pixels.

THIS is also incredibly helpful, its a texture mod comparison:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=14632

Edited by theuprising

• 1 year later...

did any1 here try using TEXTURE PACK COMBINER to combine all textures of SRO,SHD AND HD2K??? if any1 have tried this then how is it compared to the stand-alone hd2k ???

did any1 here try using TEXTURE PACK COMBINER to combine all textures of SRO,SHD AND HD2K??? if any1 have tried this then how is it compared to the stand-alone hd2k ???

Texture replacers for games like this are a matter of taste and availability. You have to try them out and see for yourself. "The Best" isn't a good descriptive for search/suggestion. If you have something specific in mind someone might be able to point out. Think of it categorically, armor-weapons-hair-eyes-landscape-maps-effects. There are a myriad of textures, these three you ask about are sometimes good sometimes bad. Its all in the eyes of the beholder. With more than 40 THOUSAND mods on the nexus for Skyrim alone...there's just too much to avail anyone the right to claim this is that best mod. Search the top 100. Tag Search. Too many options for any one mod to be the best.