Do You Like Skyrim's Combat

JesterKing

123 members have voted

1. 1. Skyrim's combat: Yay or Nay!

• I enjoy the combat a lot!!
    • I don't like it at all!
    • It's ok. I guess. It works right?

Pavy, I think dodge is a good idea. It would help a lot with the repetitiveness.

It's settled then. The problem with combat isn't Entirely Bethesda's fault. It's mine. You all bring up perspectives I didn't have. I will take some of your ideas to heart on my next play through.

I think I'll mix up Sword and board, healing and conjuration. My idea is to conjure a sword, still have my shield for defense, if I get to hurt, heal in off hand, finish healing, switch to my shield in off hand , and finish them off with sword and board. maybe soul trap too. Sounds like fun. :biggrin: :thumbsup:

You can get creative in this game, there is no doubt, my problem is simply depth.

The most fun i had with was pure healing class, where i was only healing my follower while he was killing everything that moved, the battles were long and hard, but eventually i ended up being bored because there werent any deeper abilities to get.

I have PISE, ACE, follower overhaul, deadly dragons, SIM, Wars in skyrim installed...but the combat didnt changed to me, because the core of it is just on basic level.

About the poll, i think its up to you, in the end no matter how many people voted and what the results are, you end up doing that, what you will feel is fun.

Edited by pavy

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Combat sucks. Kills moves aren't part of combat. It's just cinematics. Dual-wield seems thrown in there at the last minute. I've never spent more time missing my swings and looking like an idiot in the process in any other game than in Skyrim. The only redeeming quality is the shield bashes, which add a hint of depth to gameplay. Almost feels like Bethesda said "the modders will finish it!" Edited by PsxMeUP

Unlike BeastlyBeast, I'm not enamored of the killmoves. They don't add to combat. It's eye-candy, and that's all it is -- a way to disguise (or rather direct attention away from) a lack-luster combat system. I don't like melee combat in Skyrim. At all. It's why I specialize in archery in this game. I hate it when someone with a sword, standing ten feet away from me, can hit me and I have partial cover behind a pillar on their off-side! The combat system is as brain-dead as the NPC AI in this game. It wasn't particularly fun in Oblivion and I don't see many improvements at all in Skyrim. We have dual-wield, which I think is basically broken, and we have shield-bash, which actually works quite well.

The game-mechanics of combat in this game are extremely simplistic. In melee you spam the attack key until you run out of stamina. That's about it. There is no hit-location feature in Skyrim. You can't dodge. You can't switch your shield to the right side and do a lefty attack to take advantage of your right-handed opponent holding his shield in his left hand. You can't really do much of anything that you can do in Real Life with a weapon, two weapons, or weapon + shield.

I've mixed it up. Like I said, I specialize in archery (and destruction magic), but I don't neglect my melee skills, either. I've tried one-handed. I've gone with blade and shield. I've played with dual wield. I've used swords, daggers, axes, maces, and hammers. To me, combat only becomes interesting when I look at it strategically (long-range planning for a battle) and tactically (immediate actions during the fight). And the AI seldom cooperates by playing in-kind. Opponents are stupid. Most will fight to the death. They tend not to take advantage of cover. They don't actually cooperate to offset the weaknesses of their allies and to maximize their strengths. Most of them aren't "mobile", but just try their best to get in your face and muscle you down. There's no "finesse" to the AI combat system at all.

Yeah kill moves are enjoyable and I have dance of death for more kill moves. My current glitched character is dual weilding and I almost never use the left handed weapon. :confused: My most fun was with a hand-to-hand khajit.

Perks don't help either because the perks for swords and great swords are the same. and the same for the other weapons. It just feels like a missed opportunity.

"The game-mechanics of combat in this game are extremely simplistic. In melee you spam the attack key until you run out of stamina. That's about it. There is no hit-location feature in Skyrim. You can't dodge. You can't switch your shield to the right side and do a lefty attack to take advantage of your right-handed opponent holding his shield in his left hand. You can't really do much of anything that you can do in Real Life with a weapon, two weapons, or weapon + shield."-- RedRavyn

I agree completely with the above statement.

I like the combat myself.... can't stand the point and click on foe combat games...I like in Skyrim and Oblivion that I have to think about what my characters doing....First he thins the numbers or weakens a tough foe with a number of well placed stealth arrows, the greater the distance, the more fun....Mix Shouts with Duel Wielding for fast kills, or Shield and Short Sword for extended combat.... staggering and lowering the foes guard with shield opening them up to sword strikes (all about the timing)....Finding advantageous positions for my Dovahkin to battle from...narrow passages, etc...I enjoy the thought about strategy and planning I like to put in. Admittedly Duel Wielding does look clunky, but still overall I like the combat system and love the kill move cut scenes, I use a Mod that gives more, with a number of new cut scenes plus cut scenes for Bows which was sadly missing in the vanilla game. Edited by StayFrosty05

Personally I like the combat :) I like doing one handed/archery and I like how depending on the weight/size of the blade it seems to go faster/slower to swing. And I like the kill moves :D I am -so- so glad this game doesn't do turn based combat - that really irritates me with games like Final Fantasy :P

The only thing I would change is the way you fight when you run backwards. It feels the same as when you run forward but realistically it would make more sense if there was some stumbling or faltering :)

Besides the new animations and camera movement/shake the combat feels exactly the same as Oblivion's, very floaty and outdated. So no, I don't exactly like Skyrim's combat. Sadly, the combat is a result of the game's engine. The Creation Engine is just a modified Gamebryo Engine with some new shaders.

"The problem with Skyrim these days is that everyone is obsessed with death!" - Jon Battleborn, Whiterun.

Skyrim is too violent. There is too much combat. What about anger management? What about non-violent conflict resolution skills?

Skyrim is just anarchy. There is no law and order. Life is solitary, mean, nasty, brutish, and short. It is a nightmare sort of a world. I am surprised the Empire has not fallen yet. Social chaos reigned in Morrowind and Oblivion too. I don't see how any nation could last 200 years through this type of social disorder.

True.

But that would show the lack of character most characters have. If I could talk to bandits to resolve whatever issue there is, they would actually need some lines of dialouge.

Come to think of it, a hunter-style character who can trade with bandits and townsfolk alike would be a great opportunity rp-wise.