Skyrim- Create an Alternate Start- Complete Guide!

SubjectProphet

So everyone, tired of being Dragonborn? Or maybe you just want to go RP mode and change your role? Then this tutorial is for you!

Alright, first you need to pick a starting location. Go here: www.uesp.net choose a location there, and copy the code to the location. This'll be your starting area. Eg, Valthume. Good alternate start as an adventurer who wandered in there for treasure.

Now open Skyrim.ini (NOT SKYRIMPREFS!!!) and under the [General] tab, type in SStartingCell=(area ID) and save it. Eg, SStartingCell=Valthume00 That'll put you in Vathume in a new game the next time you launch Skyrim.

Once saved and closed, head to the folder Skyrim is located in. Create a text document there and call it bandit (not bandit.ini not Bandit, it has to be bandit). Open it and type in the following:

player.removeallitems
;Leather Armor, Bracers and Boots
player.additem 3619e 1
player.equipitem 3619e
player.additem 13921 1
player.equipitem 13921
player.additem 13920 1
player.equipitem 13920
;Steel Sword and Shield
player.additem 13989 1
player.equipitem 13989
player.additem 13955 1
player.equipitem 13955
;Hunting Bow and Iron Arrows
player.additem 13985 1
player.additem 1397D 25
;Gold and Lockpicks
player.additem f 100
player.additem a 15
;Bandit Ally Faction
player.addtofaction e0cd9 0
;Create Character
showracemenu

Save it, and exit.

And there you go, just launch up Skyrim and begin a new game. You'll then start in the area you wanted.

TROUBLESHOOTING:

Sometimes the game will auto launch a new game for people. I haven't found a fix for this yet.

This might crash some games and not work. That means the starting area code is wrong. Fix it, and launch it again.

Usually, as soon as the game is started, the character creator will not appear. So use the console command openracemenu and hit enter, this'll allow you to customize your character to your liking.

If you don't appear in the alternate start you created, you probably edited the Skyrimprefs.ini for the starting area code. It has to be under Skyrim.ini, not prefs. Be sure to change that.

Any alternate start mods will prevent this proccess from working. Turn off ALL alternate start mods and you should start in your custom start.

To start the main questline, go into the console and type in the code for the MQ quest you want to begin in. www.uesp.net will help you find these codes.

Any questions should be posted and I'll get to fixing them. You CAN explore Helgen before it was destroyed by Alduin, but there are no quests/interiors avalible.

You might want to check my own alternate start here: http://forums.nexusm...rt-via-console/

Unlike this one, you don't get put into a faction. You start out in the Abandoned Prison, strip-stark naked and with only your wits and two default starting spells to get you started -- nothing handed to you free.

Also, SubjectProphet, it's not entirely true that there are no interiors available in the non-destroyed version of Helgen. I've already documented that one of the homes can be entered and the Keep, itself, is unchanged from the "under-attack" version of the city.

This version of a "manual" alternate start adds a bit of interest to the game in that you actually do start with gear that makes you more than a match for most of the early-level encounters and should (I haven't tested it, yet) put you on friendly terms with bandits. It's actually quite flexible, since you can tweak a lot things through the bat file used to initialize it (different starting locations, different faction alliances, different gear, etc.). Just remember to comment out the Skyrim.ini file addition after you have a save game or starting the game will make you start all over, again. If this happens all you have to do it quit to the main menu and you'll get the option to load up a previously saved game, but that gets to be a pain in the neck after awhile.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, I'm interested in having an actual story line based alternate start with a quest. I'm actually doing this for a specific character, the quest is essentially her and a bunch of other mercanaries travelling to the Thalmor embassy. I'm sure I can find the information on that without having to post here but I figured what the heck. Oh, and because my character would have already been to the embassy this means I plan to alter the main quest slightly, not just for the diplomatic immunity mission but also for the beginning of the main quest.