Game freezes on a specific part of quest - Diplomatic Immunity.

ArcherTheAlchemist

So the game has never crashed or frozen on me up until now (only some lag, but not enough to really complain about). While doing Diplomatic Immunity, the game froze when I told Delphine I'm ready to take the carriage to the Thalmor Embassy's party. So I put the party clothes on as a disguise, talk to Delphine and once the dialogue is finished the game freezes on me! I can still hear horses trotting and music in the background, but no movement at all. I've attempted changing the graphics settings, window sizes and restarting my computer. It only happens on this specific part, where I have to use the Task Manager to exit the game and run it again. For now, I just put the quest aside and do other things but I really want to finish this quest. I've read somewhere that you can use console commands for these type of problems.. Can someone please help me figure this out?

By the way I'm using a Script Extender and a couple of appearance mods.. I thought maybe they were having an effect on it but I've already tried disabling all mods and running the original Skyrim launcher and it still froze. I'd be grateful for any help.

Edited by ArcherTheAlchemist

Information on the quest and the console can be found here http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Diplomatic_Immunity. I have not heard of this as a glitch anywhere so I'm not sure why it would be happening at this specific point. There was a glitch with the carriages, but that was fixed in one of the updates. Is your game fully updated?

A freeze as described suggests the game partially loads. but doesn't completely load something it needs to continue. A corrupt file? Try verifying the cache. Another check to do since you identify a bit of lag but the game runs smoothly, is check your antivirus. If it has a game mode, use it. The antivirus can stop files from loading as it is stopping them and checking them. I don't advise shutting the antivirus "off", but a change in some setting to be less vigorous may help.

Hi Tidus I don't know how but it stopped acting like this about an hour ago! Not sure how it fixed but I did a few quests and then walked to Katla's Farm instead of fast traveling and it didn't freeze. Thanks for your reply though, if I run into anything else I'll come back to this and try what you suggested.

I know that it defreezed but I noticed that sometime in the game, I would try to walk to specific place and it would freeze every single time, so it seems that some places or event can make your game freeze for a while. It would be really nice if someone had a solution or an explanation for those kinds of freezes since they seems to just happen at a specific place or moment.

Hi Tidus I don't know how but it stopped acting like this about an hour ago! Not sure how it fixed but I did a few quests and then walked to Katla's Farm instead of fast traveling and it didn't freeze. Thanks for your reply though, if I run into anything else I'll come back to this and try what you suggested.

Glad it sorted itself out and your game is running. Sometimes just exiting and restarting or just going away to allow the cell to reload can fix some of those glitches.

• 11 months later...

I ran into this intolerable problem with the game freezing up the moment I hand over my stuff to Delphine.

UESP suggests running the command: setstage m201 100 to advance the quest, but this just froze it also.

I also had no interactivity at all, short of intentionally crashing the client.

After enough testing, I had a perfect case scenario that included:

• No unremovable quest items in my inventory.
  • No armor/weapons.
  • 2 lbs of stuff total in my inventory.
  • Still froze.
  • I even tried it on two different systems, both of which are fairly pimp.

After backing up a couple of saves, I discovered it didnt happen.

The only difference between that save and the next one it would hang on was HearthFire housing decoration (about 3 hours worth). Can't imagine what that would have to do with anything.

I tried a plethora of solutions scattered about the web, none of which worked in what I guess was an extreme case.

Although this was the most annoying bug I've had to deal with in Skyrim to date, I knew there'd be a way around it that didn't involve losing hours of creative work.

1. Give your stuff to Malborn in the Winking Skeever as usual.
  2. Gate to Delphine and accept the Party Gear and Invitation, as usual.
  3. Do not agree to give her your remaining stuff to get into the carriage. That's where it freezes.
  4. Manually make your way to the Thalmor Embassy.
  5. Unlock the front gate with the "Unlock" console command and then open it.
  6. Use the console command to advance the quest: setstage mq201 110
  7. Proceed in straight ahead and go up the winding steps past the two guards.
  8. Unlock the door with the same console command and go in.
  9. If Malborn isn't already standing next to his door waiting for you to make a distraction, talk to him and he'll proceed there.
  10. The distraction involves talking to a party guest, but they're not present because of the way we're doing this. I went so far as to teleport one into the room, but the dialogue option was not available. So instead, manually unlock (console command) Malborn's door and the next one as well.
  11. Go through the kitchen and get your stuff.
  12. Advance the quest again: setstage mq201 140

From that point forward, the quest proceeded normally. No more tricks needed.

After it was done and I spoke with Delphine (who was travelling on the road), she told me to get my stuff out of her room, not that I gave her anything with the bypass. I considered attempting to track down wherever her room is to see if there was a bunch of duplicate stuff to reward me for all this trouble, but I decided I didnt care that much.

I did get the next quest in line as usual, so I don't expect to run into any trouble associated with the bypass.

Hope that helps you guys out.

Edited by LordXayd

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I ran into this intolerable problem with the game freezing up the moment I hand over my stuff to Delphine.

UESP suggests running the command: setstage m201 100 to advance the quest, but this just froze it also.

I also had no interactivity at all, short of intentionally crashing the client.

After enough testing, I had a perfect case scenario that included:

• No unremovable quest items in my inventory.
  • No armor/weapons.
  • 2 lbs of stuff total in my inventory.
  • Still froze.
  • I even tried it on two different systems, both of which are fairly pimp.

After backing up a couple of saves, I discovered it didnt happen.

The only difference between that save and the next one it would hang on was HearthFire housing decoration (about 3 hours worth). Can't imagine what that would have to do with anything.

I tried a plethora of solutions scattered about the web, none of which worked in what I guess was an extreme case.

Although this was the most annoying bug I've had to deal with in Skyrim to date, I knew there'd be a way around it that didn't involve losing hours of creative work.

1. Give your stuff to Malborn in the Winking Skeever as usual.
  2. Gate to Delphine and accept the Party Gear and Invitation, as usual.
  3. Do not agree to give her your remaining stuff to get into the carriage. That's where it freezes.
  4. Manually make your way to the Thalmor Embassy.
  5. Unlock the front gate with the "Unlock" console command and then open it.
  6. Use the console command to advance the quest: setstage mq201 110
  7. Proceed in straight ahead and go up the winding steps past the two guards.
  8. Unlock the door with the same console command and go in.
  9. If Malborn isn't already standing next to his door waiting for you to make a distraction, talk to him and he'll proceed there.
  10. The distraction involves talking to a party guest, but they're not present because of the way we're doing this. I went so far as to teleport one into the room, but the dialogue option was not available. So instead, manually unlock (console command) Malborn's door and the next one as well.
  11. Go through the kitchen and get your stuff.
  12. Advance the quest again: setstage mq201 140

From that point forward, the quest proceeded normally. No more tricks needed.

After it was done and I spoke with Delphine (who was travelling on the road), she told me to get my stuff out of her room, not that I gave her anything with the bypass. I considered attempting to track down wherever her room is to see if there was a bunch of duplicate stuff to reward me for all this trouble, but I decided I didnt care that much.

I did get the next quest in line as usual, so I don't expect to run into any trouble associated with the bypass.

Hope that helps you guys out.

oh how i wish i could upvote this. my gf was running into this glitch and we ended up reinstalling skyrim and deleting her character to no avail. thank you so much my friend :)