[Trailer/WIP] Falskaar - A New Lands Mod

AlexanderJVelicky

I always forget to update this thread, so if it looks stale/abandoned, check out my BethSoft thread: BethSoft Thread

Falskaar

By Alexander J. Velicky

What is Falskaar?

Falskaar is an island off the Northeast coast of Tamriel. It doesn't exist in lore, but every aspect of it is lore friendly. (It doesnt conflict with lore, or add anything from other games/real life)

Screenshots

Sunrise Over Falskaar

Nightstead

The Gathering Storm

Amber Creek

Borvald

The Amber Hold

The Ruins of Holmr

Dread Coast

Grimrott Grotto

Dragonbone Perch

Stoneridge Falls

Brothers At Rest

Amber Mead Inn

*One screenshot will be posted every weekday until Falskaar's release!

**Screenshots are completely unaltered and are taken using no ENBs or graphics mods whatsoever, other than the HD DLC. They appear as is, and accurately portray the mod.

***Content in screenshots may be subject to change.

Want to QA test? Apply now! Details at: http://forums.bethso...eds-qa-testers/

Progress (Updated March 29th)

Current Goal for Release: Early, 2013 (A date will be announced soon!)

Hours of New Gameplay: 30+ Hours? I've lost track, it's a lot.

Overall Completion: ~97% (I'm just messing with these here, the mod is very near completion!)

Main Quests Set Up: 9/9

Main Quests Polished: 6/9

Additional Quests Set Up: 17/17

Additional Quests Polished: 13/17

Lines of Voiced Dialogue: ~6700

New Books: 8

New Items: 11

New Shouts: 1

New Recipes: 5

New Songs: 10

Custom Bard Songs: 2

Custom Load Screens: 41

Landscape Forming: 100%

Landscape Location Detailing: 99%

Landscape Wilderness Detailing: 99%

Full Worldspace Navmeshing: Completed

Falskaar's Lore

For the last 600 years Falskaar has been inhabited by the Nords. Though most of it's history from before then is unknown.

I wrote an insane amount of lore for this land, so here's my best attempt at summarizing it all.

Key Events:

2E 895 Hearthfire 14th – An ancient temple is found in the Southeastern Mountains of Skyrim by an expeditionary group of 137 Nords led by Hjalmar Unnvaldr. They discover a strange portal in the temple and Hjalmar’s chief mage discovers it is some kind of transportation gateway. Eager for adventure and hopeful that they can escape the war that plagues Tamriel, the group enters the portal. The group arrives in a freezing barren waste, and is quickly in trouble.

2E 895 Frostfall 30th – After 46 days in the unknown land 29 Nords had died. In desperation, Olav Borvaldur marches out into the cold in search of something to save his fellow Nords.

2E 895 Sun’s Dusk 3rd- After wandering in the mountains for 4 days, Olav see's something overhead. It was an avatar of Shor, Ahkrinviing. He follows it and it leads him to a great temple, a temple to the gods and all else that is divine. Once inside, the avatar speaks to him. It tells him that the Nords were free to inhabit the land, and that he must rise up and rule his people. It then tears out its heart and imbues the divine force of Shor into it. Olav heads off to bring the heart, which he names The Heart of the Gods, back to his people.

2E 895 Sun’s Dusk 4th – Olav arrives back at the caverns in the plateau. He explains what happened to everyone. Then, following the great spirits instruction, he creates an anchor point for the heart in the caverns. The heart feeds off the natural hot springs in the caverns, and begins to sprout life all around them. Olav is named King, despite the fact that Hjalmar was the parties leader. This strikes a grudge in Hjalmar Unnvaldr that the family holds even to this day.

2E 896 - The land is made warm and habitable by the Heart of the Gods, and the people begin to build. They build a great capitol city on the plateau above the caverns, which they name Borvald, after their savior, Olav Borvaldur.

3E 2 - After several years the heart completes the transformation of the land, and they seal it in a great temple with 5 keys, so that it may be safe. Over the next several hundred years, the heart rests undesturbed, and becomes a legend amongst the people. Eventually nobody knows if it's even real or not, and the location of the temple is lost. Olav Borvaldur, weary of life as a nobleman and king heads west to a small lumbermill. He founds a town there and names it Amber Creek. Hjalmar, however, heads the opposite direction to the east, and founds the city of Staalgarde.

3E 23 – Finally, nine years after the death of Hjalmar Unnvaldr, his son leads an uprising in an attempt to make himself king. The rebellion is easily quelled by the Borvaldurs loyal troops, who outnumber and overpower the Unnvaldrs.

3E 121 – Scholars in Borvald discover that Falskaar is in fact on Nirn, and lies 130 miles North-East of Tamriel. They make connection with Skyrim’s Northern shore and boats begin travelling back and forth, trading and bringing immigrants.

4E 99, Rain’s Hand 17th – A war begins when the Unnvaldrs hire a huge amount of mercenaries from Tamriel to help them fight the Borvaldurs and gain power after they find a large amount of letters written by Hjalmar, detailing their right to the throne. The war ends with the Borvaldurs victorious, and by threat of destroying Staalgarde, the Unnvaldrs sign a treaty, agreeing to forever put to rest their lust for the throne.

4E 201 – The current Jarl of Staalgarde, Yngvarr Unnvaldr, finds a hidden room in the crypts under the city. It contains the Unnvaldr key to the heart's temple, and many of Hjalmar’s scribblings. Now that he knows for a fact that the heart is real, he sees an opportunity to break the treaty and finally gain power. His rage and greed take over, he builds an army and hires large amounts of bandits to fight for him. He also promises his people to share the power with them, having no real intention to do so, but gaining him the unwavering support of his entire city.

4E 201 A few months later - For the first time since the party's arrival in Falskaar almost 600 years ago, the portal activates deep within the ruins of Mzubthand, and the player steps through, arriving in Falskaar. They are denoted as 'The Traveller', based on an old myth that someone would arrive through the portal, marking the beginning of another conflict, the worst the land would ever see.

Features

Upon completion Falskaar will feature:

- 25-30 quests, including a 9 quest long main story, and 15-20 side quests!

- New items including new books, recipes, and potentially a couple weapons and a set or two of armor.

- New spells and dragon shouts.

- Potentially new birth stone powers.

- A bard with a whole array of brand new songs!

- Custom exploration/battle music.

Falskaar will be fully voiced by a team of 32 hand picked voice actors playing 59 roles!

Mauri Majanoja, Mick Mize (Currently performing in Cirque du Soleil!), and Robert S. Benjamin return from Deimos.

The cast also features Casey Mongillo who was in Red Dead Redemption, and Michael Johnston and River Kanoff who have both appeared in Xbox Live Arcade games!

I mean FULLY voice acted. No Vanilla voices are used! While in the land of Falskaar, every single bandit, guard, farmer, or townsperson (etc) you meet will be custom voiced for this project by my cast.

FAQ

When is the project going to be finished?

My current goal for release is early this year! That's right, no 5 year wait for this mod! :P It isn't too far off now!

Are you adding new weapons, creatures, or foliage?

Possibly new weapons, but no new creatures or foliage! I'm focusing on other areas like level and quest design for this one. :smile:

How big is your team?

It's mainly just me! I do have a small group that does QA testing, and some people have helped by writing one or two books, then of course there's the voice actors. But, I do all the CK work! I've written all the dialogue, quests, every script, implemented everything, designed all the levels and worlds and managed the team! Yes it is a lot to do, but I manage by working 6-10 hours every single day! I sure love doing this.

How big is the land?

Falskaar is about the size of 2-3 holds in Skyrim. Put Whiterun hold, The Rift, and Falkreath Hold together and you get something roughly the size of my land.

Where will the mod be available at?

As of right now it will be a SkyrimNexus exclusive. The Steam Workshop currently would not support the mod, but if it does at the time of release, it will be on there as well. I'm also heavily considering TES:A and DarkCreations as hosts for the project as well.

How long have you been working on this?

I started writing the story/lore in October of 2011, shortly after releasing Deimos. I then started putting it all together the instant that the Creation Kit came out on Feb 7th!

Why do you do this!?

I'm here modding so I can get a job at Bethesda Game Studios. I think they are the best game design company in the world and I want to be right there working with all of them! That's why I may come off a bit 'showy'. I'm here to gain support so they can see my work and I can get a job. But of course I wouldn't be doing any of this if I didn't also have an absolute blast doing it!

For more frequent updates and details, please subscribe to my Youtube Channel, and make sure to like my Facebook page! (That's where I post the most often)

I hope you can all get as excited for this as I am! It's coming along great so far. Special thanks to my QA Testers who's input on what's completed so far has been priceless!

Thanks,

Alexander J. Velicky

Edited by AlexanderJVelicky

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and devout of almost all life.

and devoid of almost all life.

The people flourish and develope.

The people flourish and develop.

Sounds like quite a mod you are building. Fun to play.

and devout of almost all life.

and devoid of almost all life.

The people flourish and develope.

The people flourish and develop.

Sounds like quite a mod you are building. Fun to play.

Doh, thanks! :P It's hard to type properly at 3am when you've been working on something all day. xD

I'll help forge a storyline if possible, I'm really good at that. Otherwise, I can help test.

Thanks but I have the story all worked out, and I'm actually not accepting testers right now. However, I urge you to keep an eye out in the Mods section of the BethSoft forums, as I'll be making a thread there once I'm ready for another wave of testers. I'll really need more at that time, but for now I have my small group. :)

nice work man. I can't wait to play all the mods that will be coming out. I can't wait to finish my own either, so I can actually play the game XD.

Haha, I know what you mean. Skyrim's been out for 6 months and I have 180 hours in it, but the CK has only been out for 3 and I have almost 500... :P

Ah so this is the mod that you was asked about over in beth forums ... looks interesting, be happy to play once put up for testing (assuming navm bug don't bite that is)

I'm actually currently running private testing right now, however I've got a good amount of people. I'll be recruiting a lot more people when the project is nearing completion, so look for my QA tester thread then!

Ah so this is the mod that you was asked about over in beth forums ... looks interesting, be happy to play once put up for testing (assuming navm bug don't bite that is)

I'm actually currently running private testing right now, however I've got a good amount of people. I'll be recruiting a lot more people when the project is nearing completion, so look for my QA tester thread then!

I like where this is going :D