Discworld's Unseen University

GalaxyS3

Hi Skyrim Nexus, I'm here with a request that I think could make you fall in love with skyrim all over again...

I've just started to read the Discworld books (currently on pyramids) and I must say they are outstanding. Such a huge fantasy world filled with so much hilarious lore, and whilst reading about rincewinds adventure with Conina a thought struck me. Skyrim + Unseen University = Amazing. The Unseen university is such a huge and magical place (especially the library) and skyrim is a huge and magical game, why not combine the two? The mod could be started off with being able to have the luggage as a companion I'm not sure about all the technical specifics involved in modding, but here goes...

The luggage is a chest with about 50 legs underneath it, quite a large chest. Why not use the large chest model often found in skyrim's dungeons as a start, add legs underneath, add a snapping animation, some programming and your done. Perhaps it could have a combat finisher aswell: its signature swallow. It could leap into the air opening its lid, which would contain a portal. The enemy would then shrink whilst simultaneously moving towards the portal, and then the lid would close.

So the luggage could be a start, but then we have the issue of the university itself. I have some suggestions about the library, but can't really think of something for the other area's (a topic of discussion for you discworld fans). I think the library should be dangerous and huge, as described in the books. Row after row of towering bookshelfs learing down on you. Each filled with books with books containing knowledge and a desire to rip you apart in equal measure. I think new spells would have to be added to the game because of the library, which would take some time. Because of this and the fact that the books would have to contain information, I think the library is definitely going to be the hardest part of the whole mod. Also the Librarian. He just HAS to be part of the mod, and modelling, texturing and animating him is going to be hard. For location, I think somewhere of the throat of the world would be good..

I think this should be done by a group of modders due to the size and detail of the area. Its not as large as MERP, but I think a group of that size is necessary to get the mod done right and also in a reasonable amount of time.

Thank you

I think actually building the university might be a better start then creating a whole new meshed and animated companion. From what I've seen of it from the movie adaptions, it might require it's own worldspace to get a good appreciation of scale. In terms of filling the library, there is a container in the CK that is a cabinet bookshelf with a random selection of books. Creating just a few new books and spell books and placing them in an adapted leveled list should be enough to give an impression of a fully stocked library.

The animation for the luggage would be nearly impossible. There is (or was ) a total overhaul to make oblivion into Diskworld at one time. Way way to overambitious.

There have been several smaller attempts to incorporate Sir Terry Pratchetts creations into games - without much success.

But - Sir Terry himself is known to play Oblivion, and has helped at least one modder with a companion mod - non disk world related.

There is also the problem of copyrights - It is a very high probability that Sir Terry has licensed the game rights to Diskworld to someone - who likely has a gang of lawyers who will gleefully pounce on anything Diskworld related and demand it be removed while threatening lawsuits.

@bben46 Oh, s***... I forgot about copyright! But how is the MERP team doing their overhaul without risk of being sued for copyright? Could you also explain to me why the animations for the luggage would be near impossible? Is it the amount of legs moving at the same time that causes the problem, or the attacking animations?

@Pentigan thanks for the info. Now we just need to find a modder willing to get his ass sued off...

I have a more ambitious idea. A Total Conversion. The entire Discworld built first minus cities. The first city would have course be Ankh-Morpork. And as for the other cities, as they are were finished they would be added. And then there is getting permission from Terry Pratchett. That must be done first. I am willing to do this and start testing the CK for building the Disc. However, this is obviously not a job for one person. Hence any help would be greatly appreciated. So experienced modelers would be a good start, then experienced Quest/Scripters next. A lot of the basic/default clothing and armors would be used. But some new clothing and armors are definitely needed. Specifically, wizard robes and hats, as well as barbarian armor for the Silver Horde, the City Watch's armors, and finally the Patrician's clothes. Other important additions would be the Luggage, Death and the Death of Rats, as well as Clan Mac Feegle, Dwarves, and Troll races. Ambitious yes. Possible? Yes, anything is possible.

I have a more ambitious idea. A Total Conversion. The entire Discworld built first minus cities. The first city would have course be Ankh-Morpork. And as for the other cities, as they are were finished they would be added. And then there is getting permission from Terry Pratchett. That must be done first. I am willing to do this and start testing the CK for building the Disc. However, this is obviously not a job for one person. Hence any help would be greatly appreciated. So experienced modelers would be a good start, then experienced Quest/Scripters next. A lot of the basic/default clothing and armors would be used. But some new clothing and armors are definitely needed. Specifically, wizard robes and hats, as well as barbarian armor for the Silver Horde, the City Watch's armors, and finally the Patrician's clothes. Other important additions would be the Luggage, Death and the Death of Rats, as well as Clan Mac Feegle, Dwarves, and Troll races. Ambitious yes. Possible? Yes, anything is possible.

I like your ideas, I think we should collaborate and brainstorm a bit

This ideas are simply amazing!

I think there was another thread about Ankh-Morpork in Skyrim, maybe the suggestions of the other thread and this one could be put together and form a huge, awesome Discworld mod.