What exactly is "lore friendly"?

Glitchfinder

To me lore friendly means it plays well with lore. It doesn't have to be part of lore or add or remove anything from it. Really all it needs to do is fit in. So what if that staff of everlasting pasta tossing has no story in Eldar Scrolls lore, and who cares if it's useless to throw pasta at an enemy who is charging at you with a sword as long as the staff doesn't look like it doesn't belong.

To put it in other words does that person you are friendly with at work or school have the same backstory as you do? No?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah in "lore-friendly" there's lore. So you should respect the lore.

But, there's also "friendly", not "jyhadist" :tongue:

I guess it's a matter of balance. Lore is important, but it should never prevent you from telling a good story or interesting gameplay. In fantasy universes, there are always consuming timelines running through thousand of years and you can always find an excuse like "historians didn't get it right", "the true story get lost or deformed beyond recognition after five centuries", etc. I've done that many times as a GM.

I always find it's the noobs that seem to request lore friendly content. Maybe it's just their way of belittling modders' work?

I tend to ignore these kinds of comments, to be honest I have never seen such a flood of these comments until this game. I made a few mods for FNV that were tron themed and noone said anything! Just because this game is relatively based around mythology everyone fancies themselves a scholar.

I tell you what is really lore friendly...not using mods!

I think a lot of you make good points. I agree that 'lore friendly' is incredibly subjective, as something could destroy immersion for one player yet feel perfectly natural for another. I also agree that in many cases, back story is also unnecessary. I also appreciate the varied viewpoints presented here, as it gives a good perspective on how the community as a whole has no one specific definition of the term. I would love if more people would contribute their ideas on the subject, as this is quite interesting to read.

• 1 year later...

First off, I apologize for the necroed thread.

Anyway, the reason I am here is because I was searching to find other gamer's opinions about the term "lore friendly". However, after reading through a few pages of this thread, I didn't feel like the other people described it in the way that I would, so here is my two cents-

When I am searching for mods for my Fallout 3 or New Vegas games, I try to look for mods that are "lore friendly" or, to put it simply, "mods that go along with the story, as interpreted by the player".

Here is an example of a lore friendly mod-

Drivable tanks for Fallout 3 or New Vegas

Why? Because the lore of the game states that Power Armor was designed to protect the wearer from tank blasts (or something like that).

And now, for a mod that is NOT lore firiendly-

Stealth mode for T51-B Power Armor

Why? Because it is revealed that the Stealth Boys were the United States' answer to the stealth armor that the Chinese were using. Stealth Boys are also highly unstable, which means that U.S. stealth technology couldn't have been advanced enough to be used comfortably with the Power Armor (if anybody is following me). Simly put, the technology would have been too unstable to use with the Armor and, possibly, the Stealth Boy may have been created because the Power Armor may have been susceptible to electromagnetic interference (or something like that), so the thick casing around the Stealth Boy would have acted as a buffer between the electromagnetism (Yeah... I know, electromagnetism probably has nothing to do with stealth. Sue me.) and the Power Armor. As evidence of this, in Fallout NV, it is revealed that the Nightkin suffer from schizophrenia, possibly due to the overuse of Stealth Boys.

Tes universe can be expanded. If we add creepers just as the green things from Minecraft, it's not lore-friendly. But if we add a full lore description to them and we explain their origin, taking care to not contradict anything (for example Creepers could be plant golems created with a powerful fire trap inside) they can be lore-friendly.

Almost anything can be lore friendly if it is introduced in the right way - I have written about this before, showing how a Dungeons and Dragons type bag of holding can be lore friendly in the fallout universe, and how a sci-fi blaster can be lore friendly in the Elder Scrolls world. It depends more on how they are introduced than what they are or what they do. In one - magic can be used to explain anything, and in the other technology can be used to explain anything. Please refer to Clark's Three Laws. #3 states that, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." and the converse to that is, "Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."

What is the real difference between a staff that throws fireballs and a sci-fi blaster that throws fire balls? - shape, and the story behind it.

This strange shaped device was found deep under a dwemer ruin in the lab of one of the last of the dwemer wizard inventors, It is powered by a mysterious canister shaped object similar to a soul gem - we call it a cartridge. Be extremely careful where you point the small end ( the larger part is a handle) to activate the device, you press down on this lever and it ejects a fireball of considerable power. :ohmy:

And a Bag of Holding in Fallout? An experimental product found in the ruins of the Schrodinger Institute of Advanced Inter-Dimensional Studies and Technology. :cool: This bag shaped object is actually a small self contained extra dimensional space. Any object that fits through the fairly large mouth of the bag is instantly transported into this extra dimensional space where - since it is no longer in normal space - it has no weight or bulk in this dimension. Very handy for transporting a large amount of stuff or heavy objects easily. (Patent Pending) :tongue:

First off, I don't care what you guys put in your games and I am not going to belittle you for putting content I wouldn't like in my game. Using your imagination is what modding is all about! :D

Second, I am a HUGE Lore fan, I read it for fun all the time.

There are 4 categories for me:

1. Lore
  2. Lore Friendly
  3. This May Be Lore
  4. Not lore-Friendly

Lore - In my definition, Lore means something that has been shown in previous Elder Scrolls games or material. Things in the history, people, places, etc. If the creators made it, then it and only it is Lore.

Lore Friendly - Lore-Friendly is different, however. There are gray areas. Mods that add things that could fit into the world are very subjective. Examples are medieval style weapons that have never been in the game. These things are not Lore, but Lore-Friendly as in they can coexist along with the original Lore. They are things that Bethesda might have put into the game if they had the time or ideas.

This Could Be Lore - Things in the game offered by clues. Best Example is Tobacco. We never seen pipe smoking in an Elder Scrolls game, but we have seen Tobacco. The only purpose for it is for smoking, and the only instances where you can find it are on manmade farms. People are growing it for a reason, we just don't know and have to make inferences about what those reasons are.

Not Lore Friendly - Things like modern clothes, and things from other franchises, are not Lore nor Lore Friendly but more of novelty. They don't fit into the game, but are just for fun. I am not saying these mods are bad, many of them are a lot of fun, but lets face it, they would never be in the original game.

Just my opinion. Hope you guys could discuss.

Edited by MostlyMuggie

• 4 months later...

Hopefully the nexus will never get "that strict" when it comes to that lore thing.

I like TES and its lore very much and thus I appreciate mods which deal in a natural way with it. Lore is not only the story, the backstory or the possibility of existence of creatures, people or things, it's also the look and feel of them.

To me, one of the most annoying mod types are those who deal with a certain sort of "beautification". We saw them in TES4, in the Fallout Games and now we see them in Skyrim. Overdone faces of people that only exist on fashion magazines, accompanied by a variety of pompous clothes, armors and stuff made of lore-unknown and unbelievable materials, Manga style hairdos and Advent Children like swords. It just doesn't fit for me, so I'm not going to use them - ever. My personal taste, my personal opinion. Period.

But then, since TES III the games gave us the great possibility of choice. You can either install a mod, or not. This works pretty well for me.