SKSE Loader "Couldn't find TES_.exe"

Firefly627

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for bumping an oldish thread, but incase anyone googles this like I did and finds this thread.

Make sure you have the skse_loader.exe copied into your Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim folder or in the same file wherever your actual TESV.exe folder is located and make a new shortcut for skse_loader from that file. This fixed the problem for me and a lot of installation videos kind of glossed over it.

• 2 weeks later...

I followed this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTGnQIiNVqA to the letter but it does not recognize that I launched through SKSE as verified by checking, in the console command imput, "GetSKSEversion"

The desktop shortcup itself yields a double error. SKSE Loader: "couldn't find TESV.exe" and Skyrim SKSE (shortcut) console: "couldn't find TESV.exe."

I also get a SKYui error message if I attempt to bypass the SKSE loader.

Your help in resolving this issue is much appreciated!

I have been helped so much and have benefited greatly from this game and its totally awesome and selfless community I will share how I fixed the "CAN'T FIND TES_exe" error messages.

I first had to fix the skse.ini file inside the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\s­kyrim\Data\SKSE folder. You have to change the RunetimeName=TES_.exe to RunetimeName=TESV.exe.

If this fixes it for you great. However, that didn't fix my problem completely, but it helped get me to the next error message: ..."SKSE community uncapper does not support this skyrim version. [insert any version here]"

I then proceeded to fix this by going to the community boards and found a site to update my SKSE COMMUNITY UNCAPPER. I found a link to the most current version of the uncapper.

Google this: Skyrim -Community- Uncapper by Elys. Or here: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/1175 This file will update your uncapper and you should be able to start game up normally.

I hope that helped, it did for me. Do the console check "getskseversion" to verify. Good luck.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's extremely frustrating, especially when I am told that I simply didn't read the instructions or readme file, which is what I followed to the letter.

It is a very simple fix fellas go into the data folder then skse folder you will see the skse.ini file just open it with notepad change the TES_.exe to TESV.exe removing the underscore and save the file voila! loader works.

My path to the ini looks like this just for a point of reference, it will look different if you are using the steam version of the game >>>> C:\Program Files (x86)\The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim\Data\SKSE and remember the ini file has a little cog wheel on it.

Thanks this fixed the problem!

• 1 month later...

It's extremely frustrating, especially when I am told that I simply didn't read the instructions or readme file, which is what I followed to the letter.

It is a very simple fix fellas go into the data folder then skse folder you will see the skse.ini file just open it with notepad change the TES_.exe to TESV.exe removing the underscore and save the file voila! loader works.

My path to the ini looks like this just for a point of reference, it will look different if you are using the steam version of the game >>>> C:\Program Files (x86)\The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim\Data\SKSE and remember the ini file has a little cog wheel on it.

Finally, a solid answer that works , thanks !

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Make sure you right clicked 'create shortcut' on the SKSEloader.exe from the same folder where you find your TESV.exe and not creating your shortcut from the original SKSE folder you downloaded and extracted.

I'm no tech junky and i realise this post is out of date and the problem has probably been fixed, but I found this post because I was just having the same problem but I managed to gather a few braincells, put them to good use and i managed to get it working again by doing exactly as I explained :)

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure you right clicked 'create shortcut' on the SKSEloader.exe from the same folder where you find your TESV.exe and not creating your shortcut from the original SKSE folder you downloaded and extracted.

I'm no tech junky and i realise this post is out of date and the problem has probably been fixed, but I found this post because I was just having the same problem but I managed to gather a few braincells, put them to good use and i managed to get it working again by doing exactly as I explained :smile:

Thx, I had the same problem as the OP, and your post helped me to fix it.

The key part was to run the skse_loader.exe that is in steamapps/common/Skyrim and not the version that is in the sub-folder steamapps/common/Skyrim/data. I don't know why there are two versions of it, but it makes sense I have to run the one that is in the same folder as TESV.exe.

To that, just loading Skyrim directly from Steam or the NMM does not work either, I have to run Skyrim using the skse_loader.exe each and every time (and such why the shortcut is required).

Edited by Phase88