SKSE Loader "Couldn't find TES_.exe"

Firefly627

The problem for me was not in the SKSE itself. I discovered this after turning things off and on one at a time. The ONE mod I wanted that required SKSE doesn't seem to be working with it. That is a separate issue I'm not trying to get fixed here. Just saying that I read all the pages of this thread, tried all the fixes and watched the videos, and had similar (ineffective) results and was trying to blame SKSE the whole time.

When I turned off the one mod I DLed that required SKSE and ran Skyrim through NMM with the Launch SKSE option, everything worked out fine except the part where I can't use the one mod.

This may not help anyone, but check your mods before you go (like I did) runnin' off and tryng to pin it on some aspect of SKSE.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's extremely frustrating, especially when I am told that I simply didn't read the instructions or readme file, which is what I followed to the letter.

It is a very simple fix fellas go into the data folder then skse folder you will see the skse.ini file just open it with notepad change the TES_.exe to TESV.exe removing the underscore and save the file voila! loader works.

My path to the ini looks like this just for a point of reference, it will look different if you are using the steam version of the game >>>> C:\Program Files (x86)\The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim\Data\SKSE and remember the ini file has a little cog wheel on it.

WORKS SO HELPFUL CHEERS

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Okay, first, I'm no newb with this stuff ... so, got pretty frustrated by repeated attempts to load what had been described as THE total conversion to play. In my installation folder ... no TESV.exe. It DID have SkyrimSE.exe. Tried just renaming that, didn't work. In amongst all this thread was one little bit that said something about copying ... so I did. Copied SKSE.exe right back to the same folder, then renamed to TESV.exe. BINGO!
Now ... on to play!

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Okay, first, I'm no newb with this stuff ... so, got pretty frustrated by repeated attempts to load what had been described as THE total conversion to play. In my installation folder ... no TESV.exe. It DID have SkyrimSE.exe. Tried just renaming that, didn't work. In amongst all this thread was one little bit that said something about copying ... so I did. Copied SKSE.exe right back to the same folder, then renamed to TESV.exe. BINGO!

Now ... on to play!

god bless u. fixed 3/23/20

Now ... on to play!

god bless u. fixed 3/23/20

You may have "fixed" the error, but you've caused a much bigger problem. The reason SKSE can't find the executable is because you downloaded SKSE for the old 2011 Skyrim instead of SKSE64 for the Special Edition.