Photo

INI Missing: You have no Skyrim INI file. ...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

J4yco

J4yco

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
So today I decided to install some Skyrim mods for the first time. I installed the SKSE and the NMM.
When I start the NMM I get an error which says: INI Missing: You have no Skyrim INI file.
Please run Skyrim to initialize the file before installing any mods or turning on Archive Invalidation.
When I checked my Skyrim folder in /documents/mygames i found one.
I deleted it and restarted Skyrim to get a fresh one. But the NMM still says the same when I start it.

Can anyone help me please?

DuskDweller

DuskDweller

Faithful poster

• Staff
  • 1,163 posts
Try rescanning for installed games. (are you using the latest release?)

J4yco

J4yco

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your reply:)

Yes im using the latest version of both Skyrim and NMM.
So I rescanned and found the same direction as before (which is right): c:/program files (x86)/steam/steamapps/common/skyrim.
The INI file is in another folder as mentioned before tho, but I think thats right, isnt it?

J4yco

J4yco

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have an idea: Im running the NMM as admin (I have to, cause i dont have write permissions for Skyrim/Install Info as a normal user) but the INI file is in another user folder.
So what should I do? Reinstal the NMM to get write permissions as a normal user or copy the INI file in the admin folder? Or am I wrong with my conjecture?

EDIT: I just reinstalled the NMM to get permissions as a normal user. It worked.
I have another qestion tho: When i launch Skyrim with the NMM it never starts in SKSE mode, even though I selected Launch SKSE. But when i start the SkyrimSKSE.exe
on my Desktop it works. How do I fix that?

Edited by J4yco, 23 May 2012 - 08:36 AM.

DuskDweller

DuskDweller

Faithful poster

• Staff
  • 1,163 posts
Strange, it works for me, maybe SKSE isn't where NMM is looking for it.

eric7400

eric7400

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
no mits becaz admin iz blockin it\
one last thing copy and paste all inis in your documents/MyGames/Skyrim then it will work just fine :P

Edited by eric7400, 01 December 2012 - 02:35 AM.

MrKrake

MrKrake

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I have an idea: Im running the NMM as admin (I have to, cause i dont have write permissions for Skyrim/Install Info as a normal user) but the INI file is in another user folder.
So what should I do? Reinstal the NMM to get write permissions as a normal user or copy the INI file in the admin folder? Or am I wrong with my conjecture?

EDIT: I just reinstalled the NMM to get permissions as a normal user. It worked.
I have another qestion tho: When i launch Skyrim with the NMM it never starts in SKSE mode, even though I selected Launch SKSE. But when i start the SkyrimSKSE.exe
on my Desktop it works. How do I fix that?

How do you reinstall to have rights as a normal user exactly?

bben46

bben46

I had a title once, but I forgot what it was.

• Staff
  • 17,549 posts

First, you MUST be logged into Windows as an administrator before any of this will work.
find the exe file that launches the game - RIGHT click on that  - you will see a 'run file as administrator' in the topics. LEFT click that - this allows administrator actions on that program or file.

If you are not a windows administrator - the 'run as administrator' will not show up.

Do this to any programs that you do not have write permission for

BTW , there are TWO ini files. The one in the game folder is NOT to be changed!!! If you do change it - not only will nothing happen in your game, it will be reset the next time steam makes any updates to the game. The one you change is created the first time you play the game and make a save - it does not exist until then.

This is from my troubleshooting blog

In order to make actual changes that don't revert back you MUST be the administrator - see this: http://s1.zetaboards...opic/4912979/1/

Make sure you're editing the right SkryimPrefs.ini - there are two of them. The one you want (Win 7 & Vista) is usually in C:\Users\Your User Name\Documents\My Games\Skrim folder. In XP it will be slightly different as there is no \users\ folder - look in C:\Documents and settings\ your_user_name\ my documents\my games\skyrim

SkyrimSneakFan

SkyrimSneakFan

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Can someone help me? I was looking for the skyrim.ini folder but it wasn't there. I was going to put a notepad thingy with [General]
sIntroSequence=
iLargeIntRefCount=262144
fFlickeringLightDistance=8192
sLanguage=ENGLISH
uExterior Cell Buffer=144
bLoadLooseFiles=1
bRunHighLevelProcess=1
bMultiThreadMovement=1
bUseThreadedParticleSystem=1
bUseThreadedBlood=1
bUseThreadedMorpher=1
bUseThreadedTempEffects=1
bUseThreadedParticleSystem=1
bUseThreadedTextures=1
bUseThreadedMeshes=1
bMTRendering=1
bUseThreadedLOD=1
bUseThreadedAI=1
iNumHWThreads=5
[Display]
fSunShadowUpdateTime=0
fSunUpdateThreshold=2.0
fDecalLifetime=512.0
fShadowLODMaxStartFade=1000.0
fSpecularLODMaxStartFade=2000.0
fLightLODMaxStartFade=3500.0
iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=2048
bAllowScreenshot=1

[Audio]
fMusicDuckingSeconds=6.0
fMusicUnDuckingSeconds=8.0
fMenuModeFadeOutTime=3.0
fMenuModeFadeInTime=1.0

[Grass]
bAllowCreateGrass=1
bAllowLoadGrass=1

[GeneralWarnings]
SGeneralMasterMismatchWarning=One or more plugins could not find the correct versions of the master files they

depend on. Errors may occur during load or game play. Check the "Warnings.txt" file for more information.

[Archive]
sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa,

Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa
sResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa

[Combat]
fMagnetismStrafeHeadingMult=0.0
fMagnetismLookingMult=0.0

f1PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.7
f3PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.7
f1PBoltTiltUpAngle=0.7
f3PBoltTiltUpAngle=0.7

[Papyrus]
fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=500.0
bEnableLogging=0
bEnableTrace=0
bLoadDebugInformation=0
[Water]
bReflectLODObjects=1
bReflectLODLand=1
bReflectSky=1
bReflectLODTrees=1

[Actor]
fVisibleNavmeshMoveDist=12288.0000

[Camera]
fOverShoulderAddY=0.0
fOverShoulderPosZ=0.0
fOverShoulderPosX=10.0
fOverShoulderCombatAddY=0.0
fOverShoulderCombatPosZ=24.0
fOverShoulderCombatPosX=0.0

fOverShoulderHorseAddY=-72.0
fOverShoulderHorsePosZ=50.0
fOverShoulderHorsePosX=35.0
fActorFadeOutLimit=-100

fMouseWheelZoomSpeed=60.0
f1st3rdSwitchDelay=0.95
iHorseTransitionMillis=001

[Interface]
fBookOpenTime=200.0

fSafeZoneX=10
fSafeZoneY=10
fSafeZoneXWide=10
fSafeZoneYWide=10

[BackgroundLoad]
bBackgroundLoadLipFiles=1
bLoadBackgroundFaceGen=1
bUseMultiThreadedFaceGen=1
bBackgroundCellLoads=1
bLoadHelmetsInBackground=1
bUseMultiThreadedTrees=1
bUseBackgroundFileLoader=1

[Animation]
bMultiThreadBoneUpdate=1

[HAVOK]
iNumThreads=5

[Decals]
bDecalMultithreaded=1

just to see what would happen (This is why I hate messing with files) and I named it skyrim.ini but it said something with the same name was already there... My  laptop is ctding after downloading a lot of mods and its never done that before... help? BOSS didn't help much

bben46

bben46

I had a title once, but I forgot what it was.

• Staff
  • 17,549 posts

There are actually 2 copies of the ini files ( there are more than one) The ones in the game folder are NOT! the ones that you should be changing. Those are located in your C:\users\yourusername\my documents\my games\Skyrim

If you have already messed up the ini files in the game folder - then delete them and run the Steam Validate Game cache fix. The instructions are found here: http://www.howtogeek...eshooting-tips/

This will locate any missing files and automatically replace them in your game.

After doung that, OR, If you haven't messed up the other ones by making changes already, You can just delete the ones you change ( in the my documents folder) And by starting the game from the steam library - the ini files will be automatically generated for you based on your hardware.

Trying to use someone elses INI file can cause serious problems in the game - the ini is generated based on your hardware and if it shows the wrong hardware - it will likely cause a crash. You can make changes to make it work better, but you really need to know what you are doing. Here is a link to a site that explains the changes you can make and why you should or should not make certain changes. http://www.geforce.c...m-tweak-guide#1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Page loaded in: 0.907 seconds