How To Skip Loading Screens

SiKillW

So playing Skyrim a few days ago I discovered this cool thing that you could do while fast-traveling or at really any loading screen. After the loading screen comes up, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE on your keyboard and then click on Start Task Manager. After the task manager screen comes up, right click on Skyrim, and then click Bring To Front. It will stay at the task manager screen for a little bit longer, then switch back to Skyrim and finish loading. It seems like it would take a long time since i typed it out step by step, but it really only takes about 10 seconds to fast travel anywhere using this technique. I hope you try it out! :thumbsup:

That's going to make your game veeeery unstable...

I doubt it will load any faster since the same amount of information needs to be loaded but I guess it will feel faster if your desktop has more interesting things to look at than the loading screen. Besides, this trick won't help those of us where fast travel takes < 1 second...

I too doubt the actual effectiveness of this and am very surprised you haven't been getting CTDs. I have a lower/medium end PC and seems like every time I alt-tab out there's about a 50% chance the game will crash.... which is why I try not to do it.

I'd just read a book or magazine or something while loading if your times are that bad (well actually that's when I drink my beer).....

While I admit I have a pretty high-end gaming rig, even when I didn't I didn't mind loading screens in games very much. A glass of milk and a sack of cookies does wonders for whittling the time away.

Seriously, though, as Lanceor said, it's very improbable that this is affecting your loading time. It just seems like that because you're doing something, rather than sitting there all slack-jawed and watching a loading screen that you've already memorized hundreds of hours ago. It takes "x" amount of time to load "y" amount of data, regardless of whether you're sitting in the game or sitting in the desktop.

As for instability, I don't know about any issues involving either tabbing out in Skyrim or using <ctrl> <alt> <delete>. I've never done the latter and frequently tab out to look at my notes (which I keep in a text file). This has never introduced instability into my game, and I've never had a CTD because I did it.

Regarding etang2's comment that your technique is dangerous to your hardware, I'd like to see some documentation about this. I seriously doubt that your computer can be damaged by what you're doing, which is nothing more than task-switching.