Dark Souls Review/News

Rennn

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Dark Souls and Demon's Souls. I enjoy very few games anymore legitimately, and From Soflware didn't disappoint me with Dark Souls. Now that the game is being released on PC through Steam, it looks like the online multiplayer is going to be improved. I'm not a huge fan of steam but I'd much prefer steam to PSN, and be able to play the game on my PC.

And 30 FPS isn't that bad if the game was designed to be played at 30FPS. On games like skyrim, I honestly can't tell a difference between 30 and 60fps, unless I got Fraps running. FPS consistency is more important. If I can get solid 30FPS, no dips on my PC, I wouldn't be complaining. Dark Souls does lag a little on PS3 in certain spots, but your average PC is considerably more powerful than a PS3.

Edited by Beriallord

as much i want to play this game. its gonna be a crappy port even the FPS will be locked at 30fps

Actually I am OK with this. I always think that if I am a game developer and going to be lazy with my console port I should at least lock the FPS so my inefficient PC engine doesn't spasm from high to low FPS and give me headaches.

Yeah, I don't mind a capped fps of 30. I just want it to play better on my pc than on my ps3. GFWL is the only thing that could ruin that.

I love Dark Souls and Demon's Souls. I enjoy very few games anymore legitimately, and From Soflware didn't disappoint me with Dark Souls. Now that the game is being released on PC through Steam, it looks like the online multiplayer is going to be improved. I'm not a huge fan of steam but I'd much prefer steam to PSN, and be able to play the game on my PC.

And 30 FPS isn't that bad if the game was designed to be played at 30FPS. On games like skyrim, I honestly can't tell a difference between 30 and 60fps, unless I got Fraps running. FPS consistency is more important. If I can get solid 30FPS, no dips on my PC, I wouldn't be complaining. Dark Souls does lag a little on PS3 in certain spots, but your average PC is considerably more powerful than a PS3.

some people cant notice the differences between 30 and 60. i can, easily. so its kinda important to me.

some people cant notice the differences between 30 and 60. i can, easily. so its kinda important to me.

Umm, your talking to a person who gets headaches if the fps goes from 60 to 55..

Locking the FPS at a low number at least keeps it stable.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought its been scientifically proven that the human eye can't tell the difference between 24 FPS or higher? If its a consistent amount, but dips in FPS can be seen, for example a drop from 60 down to 24 would produce stutter. This is why FPS consistency is more important. If its locked at 30 and never drops, its impossible for you to tell the difference. The ones that say they see a difference are either when it dips enough to stutter, or if they got a FPS consistently showing, then of course you can tell the difference. I got a high end PC and I still don't care about FPS, I care about the game running smoothly.

Most games are designed to run at 30fps, which means anything higher less substantial. Higher FPS is only better, if the game has a tendency to dip frequently (many do) and as long as it doesn't drop too much too fast, you will get smooth game play. A consistent 60FPS isn't needed. You can be getting 60 FPS most of the time, with varying dips and low points down to 45 FPS, and still have perfectly smooth gameplay. If a game is locked at 30FPS, and you have a powerful PC, you will likely see no dips, or very few due to the PC having more than enough power to feed the game at the more demanding points, while the PS3 doesn't have the power to do that. So either way Dark Souls is going to run smoother on PC regardless of if its got a 30fps cap.

Edited by Beriallord

I thought its been scientifically proven that the human eye can't tell the difference between 24 FPS or higher? If its a consistent amount, but dips in FPS can be seen, for example a drop from 60 down to 24 would produce stutter. This is why FPS consistency is more important. If its locked at 30 and never drops, its impossible for you to tell the difference. The ones that say they see a difference are either when it dips enough to stutter, or if they got a FPS consistently showing, then of course you can tell the difference. I got a high end PC and I still don't care about FPS, I care about the game running smoothly.

Most games are designed to run at 30fps, which means anything higher less substantial. Higher FPS is only better, if the game has a tendency to dip frequently (many do) and as long as it doesn't drop too much too fast, you will get smooth game play. A consistent 60FPS isn't needed. You can be getting 60 FPS most of the time, with varying dips and low points down to 45 FPS, and still have perfectly smooth gameplay. If a game is locked at 30FPS, and you have a powerful PC, you will likely see no dips, or very few due to the PC having more than enough power to feed the game at the more demanding points, while the PS3 doesn't have the power to do that. So either way Dark Souls is going to run smoother on PC regardless of if its got a 30fps cap.

LOLOLOLOL please give me the link that shows humans cant see above 24 fps. most games ran at 30 fps because thats all consoles can handle.