Are you having constant exterior CTDs? I've FINALLY found your sol

yafi

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey yafi, my problem isn't listed (Still CTDs though outside) so I figured you might be able to help.

Last lines of the Papyrus Log:

[06/18/2012 - 09:19:32AM] [dragonactorscript < (00032AC2)>]OnLocationChange() calling WI.RegisterDragonAttack(None)

[06/18/2012 - 09:19:32AM] error: Cannot call HasKeyword() on a None object, aborting function call

stack:

[WI (00035D64)].wifunctionsscript.RegisterDragonAttack() - "WIFunctionsScript.psc" Line 476

[ (00032AC2)].dragonactorscript.OnLocationChange() - "dragonActorSCRIPT.psc" Line 105

[06/18/2012 - 09:19:32AM] warning: Assigning None to a non-object variable named "::temp32"

stack:

[WI (00035D64)].wifunctionsscript.RegisterDragonAttack() - "WIFunctionsScript.psc" Line 476

[ (00032AC2)].dragonactorscript.OnLocationChange() - "dragonActorSCRIPT.psc" Line 105

[06/18/2012 - 09:19:57AM] [dragonactorscript < (00032AC2)>]OnLocationChange() calling WI.RegisterDragonAttack([Location < (0001927F)>]

Since it's a Dragon issue I was thinking it might be either Deadly Dragons or Skyrim Monster Mod. Both are updated to the newest 1.6 compatible versions.

"warning: Assigning None to a non-object variable named "::temp32" stack:" Happens when the game is trying to call for something but doesn't exist, usually either a variable to an object/actor or vice versa. I use both Deadly Dragons and SMM and both versions are up to date, my guess here is that you have attempted to do a "clean save" with either of these mods but did not do it correctly, so now your save game thinks the previous versions of those mods still exist. In which case look at this:

http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Troubleshooting#tab=Mods_and_Savegames

I've never actually encountered a script error like this throughout my weeks of frustration so I think it's mod-related, whether it's a mod you've uninstalled and no longer use with your current save, or you're using an older version of Skyrim.

Also this is the "0" Papyrus log right?

Ok some good info here. However, not all of its correct. I might be wrong here as well, so please correct me if thats the case ;)

Regarding lvlpredatorscript.psc error, something in-game is still calling for the script. As far as i know, its not a specific mod issue, but a skyrim engine issue. Any mod that modifies spawns will trigger this i think, and even vanilla spawn triggers will produce this error. Ive had had the error on vanilla skyrim. Therefore removing these mods will help reduce CTDs but will not eliminate them.

I notice you also mentioned nothing about deleting the actual script file, or do i only have it due to the CK? I believe vanilla script are in skyrim - misc.bsa, so might need to go poking around in there.

In any case, good stuff here yafi! Reducing CTDs is still music to my ears :D

Edited by MadWizard25

Yes lvlpredatorscript.psc doesn't have to be neccessarily edited by a mod for it to corrupt. I also learned that simply removing/deleting/moving the script in Scripts > Source or through the .bsa file does nothing, in fact it could make things potentially worse through the long run because you're moving a dependant script out from its "home". As far as I know, there is no fix for corrupted scripts in the vanilla game it's something that either Bethesda will need to fix or somebody has to manually open the .psc file and change the code inside it. UKSP 1.1 will fix one of the corrupted scripts, so perhaps they will fix more in the future.

Starting a new game/loading a save game and not activating the Quest for Madness quest is the best temporary solution that 100% works, I've done tests using a save file that has done the quest and one that has not, and it's definitely that quest that causes the CTDs. Since Skyrim is a large game and save games become bloated and more performance demanding as you play the game more and more, most of these problems are game engine related as you said.

I have played Skyrim on a PS3 for 8 months now; decided to purchase the PC version exclusively for checking out Skyrim mods. As a result, I too have installed and uninstalled many, many mods. I use Nexus Mod Manager to install almost all mods (except a few that had options for body mods); and uninstalled exclusively using the manager.

Reading this thread, I see that SkyTest appears to be a culpret in CTD's; and the recommendation to restart a new game or go to a save before a particular mod was installed. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no idea which save game was related to the install or uninstall of most of the mods.

If my problem is specifically related to one mod according to the recommended log troubleshooting, and that mod was removed, would reinstalling the mod resolve the CTD, or is it too late once the mode is uninstalled?

2nd question, what is the best way to revert to a clean version of Skyrim? Completely uninstall the game? Then download and reinstall?

And, 3rd, if I reinstall the game, is there any chance that some of the save games I already have could be restored? I've got several characters and followers in configurations I'd like to keep if possible.

If my problem is specifically related to one mod according to the recommended log troubleshooting, and that mod was removed, would reinstalling the mod resolve the CTD, or is it too late once the mode is uninstalled?

Theoretically yes, but game engine-wise no, because you have already uninstalled the scripts, reinstalling them back in won't do much because of how scripts are called and how the game engine reads them.

2nd question, what is the best way to revert to a clean version of Skyrim? Completely uninstall the game? Then download and reinstall?

http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Troubleshooting#tab=Mods_and_Savegames < for save games

As for the entire game... uninstall and completely remove all mods (make sure there are no files in the corresponding folders the mod came with), then uninstall the game via Steam, delete the "Skyrim" folder under steam > steamapps > common > [here], delete both skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini in Documents > My Games > Skyrim, clean your registry, restart comp, install Skyrim again.

And, 3rd, if I reinstall the game, is there any chance that some of the save games I already have could be restored? I've got several characters and followers in configurations I'd like to keep if possible.

You can reload any savegame once you reinstalled the game, just remember that scripts from uninstalled mods will permanently stick and that could lead to CTDs, as described in my first post and others.

Great response, thanks.

I was stranded in Breeze Home in White Run after removing a number of mods including SkyTest. After reading the Wiki on removing mods and scripts I decided to unload all my characters possessions except basic armor (I had crafted quite a few armor mods,) and put all extra possessions in one of the cabinets. I then installed the 'No boring Sleep-Wait Menu' that the Wiki recommended, entered the console command 'TFC' and slept for 7 days. That got me out the front door without a CTD. I then quick traveled without my 5 followers to a far location (Dawnstar), fought a dragon that appeared, saved the game and reloaded. I then quick traveled back to White Run and used the UFO command for my followers to follow me and quick traveled back to Dawnstar. I saved, exited, and restored and quick traveled back to White Run.

So far, it looks like I'm back playing ok, but I can see that I'm really going to have to watch the mods I install and manage my save games.

One thing I had not counted on was the automatic installation of version 1.6 of Skyrim by Steam. I should have realized that allowing Steam to update the program would greatly affect my mods. I'm pretty sure that is one of the factors. I have since installed 'Skyrim Unplugged' so that I control when the game updates; not Steam or Bethesda.

Hey, I could use little help if you have moment.

my CTDs started after 1.6 (thanks bethesda, really appreciate your patches!). It seems to occur when entering some new locations outdoors. Plus, sometimes I go indoors there are no textures and I just start dropping.

Last record in LOG file after long loop of exact entry says:

[aaNSRQuest (13002851)].aansrquestscript.FXcameraAttachFunc() - "aaNSRQuestScript.psc" Line 155

[aaNSRQuest (13002851)].aansrquestscript.OnUpdate() - "aaNSRQuestScript.psc" Line 185

[06/19/2012 - 03:06:07AM] VM is freezing...

[06/19/2012 - 03:06:07AM] VM is frozen

[06/19/2012 - 03:06:07AM] Log closed

I also dropped entire log here: http://pastebin.com/TTFAk2Gi

What does it mean, what can cause the problem?

EDIT:

It happens both in old saves and entire new game.

Edited by SplaTt333