Problem with random freezing of Skyrim

hype1

Hi,

since Skyrim 1.6 I got some annoying problems with the game freezing in random situations.

I first noticed it while running out in the wild south-west of Riverwood.

It also happens when fast travelling to Windhelm. It freezes immediately in front of the tavern or while running across the bridge towards the stables.

It's not a CTD, the screen freezes and the sounds still keep playing.

So I tried a few things... deleted Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini and let them create by the launcher. Didn't help.

Verifying the game files through Steam also didn't help.

As I got a lot of mods installed, I thought that maybe one of them is incompatible.

So I started uninstalling them one by one and the freeze was still there.

Finally, after uninstalling "Extended Silder Colors", there was no freeze anymore.

I was happy and tried it a few times more... and it froze again after letting the character stand for 10 minutes and doing nothing just in front of the tavern... crap.

I also tried starting a whole new savegame, teleported to Windhelm to discover it, ran out of town, fast travelled there, and it didn't freeze. But maybe I didn't test long enough.

Does anyone have an advice on what I can do to repair my game/savegame?

Here is a list of mods I got installed at the moment (I'll leave mods out, which just replace textures, they shouldn't be the problem?):

Aela looks like Hroki

ApachiiSkyHair

Automatic Item Storage

Bandolier - Bags and Pouches

Better Dynamic Snow

Better Males

Birds of Skyrim

Bowlegged jump animation fix

Camping

Castanistic style idle for females

Categorized favorites menu

CHSBHC BBP

DIMONIZED UNP female body

Enhanced Blood Textures (uninstalled)

Extended Slider Colors (uninstalled)

Followers can relax

Fores new idles 2.1

Frostfall

Glowing Ore Veins

Hair packs of Oblivion

Immersive HUD

Mannequins look like you

More dynamic shadows and striping fixed (uninstalled)

More Village Animals

NoMaaM Walk

Pets of Skyrim

Populated Cities

Realistic Colors and Realistics Nights (uninstalled)

Riverside lodge

Sexy Villages and Towns

Skyrim HD

SkyTEST - Realistic Animals and Predators

SkyUI

Sounds of Skyrim - The Dungeons 1.11 with crash fix

Sounds of Skyrim - The Wilds

Spouses can live everywhere

Static Mesh Improvement Mod

Telthalions Finer Hair

Temptress Race (uninstalled)

The Pines of Whiterun

Total Realism Basic Needs with W.A.T.E.R. patch (uninstalled)

UFO

UNP Blessed Body

Vanilla Mannequin Script Fix

W.A.T.E.R. (uninstalled)

Winter is Coming - Cloaks

@hype83, you're probably on a logical track troubleshooting after the v1.6 update, keep uninstalling mods until the freezes stop i guess.

based of your description of the freezing, suggest try uninstalling mods that enhance animations.

it is generally known patch v1.6 broke some animation mods possibly due to updates of skeleton nif's to support the mounted combat feature.

might be diligent to check the comments section of modders pages to see if other gamers are having the same issues.

you also may want to remove major overhauls mods and mods that add objects to the game world.

Bowlegged jump animation fix - (animation).

Fores new idles 2.1 - (animation).

NoMaaM Walk - (animation).

UNP Blessed Body - (modder recently updated this to work with v1.6)

CHSBHC BBP - (not sure how stable this is with v1.6 patch).

did you keep a backup copy of your v1.5 skyrim folders?

No, unfortunately I didn't keep a copy of the folders and can't remember all the things I changed since then ;)

Thanks for the hint with animation mods and the UNPB fix, I'll try that out.

So I tested a few things yesterday.

On a forum I read that freezes can also be caused by changed settings in nvidiaInspector.

As this is the easiest thing to test I started with that.

I reset the settings to default Nvidia-Settings and... it works!

Fast-Travel to Windhelm, stand there for one hour, run out to the stables, fast-travel to Riverwood, run south, fast-travel to Windhelm, stay there again... no freeze.

In nvidiaInspector I use the settings recommended by S.T.E.P.

To find out which setting is causing the freezes I left "Texture Filtering LOD Bias" and "Multi-Display" at the default values, but activated AO and Supersampling.

And it runs just fine... (at least for one hour, didn't have more time to test).

So it seems that one of these settings lead to freezes on my system (I'm using the latest nVidia driver 301.42).

I really hope it stays like that...

@hype83, good for you! great. odd that you were seem to have been working ok before the v1.6 patch update.

don't know how 1.6 could mess up your nvidia profile settings unless your setup was not tweaked properly before i guess.

i do not use the inspector utility (the normal nvidia control panel is enough for me)

and i do not need to change gpu clock settings or memory timings or merge profiles.

tested this a long time ago and got rid of it lol.

glad you found the

STEP - Skyrim Total Enhancement Project by TheCompiler - http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/11

this is a popular depository of suggestions/knowledge if you need a guide optimizing Skyrim quality.

you may want to take a look at this nvidia guide for a more comprehensive description of

Skyrim-NVIDIA specific optimizations.

http://www.geforce.com/Optimize/Guides/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-tweak-guide/#1

Edited by xlcr

This makes sense. I suspected driver/graphic settings but wasn't sure. I'm still at 1.5 and my game was freezing every other day. Turned out that I had AA and AF set in game AND video card properties. So I set the card to handle it as per the nvidia guide. That seemed to fix it, or so I thought. Now the game only freezes every week or so. Better, but still..

I wasn't aware of the 301.42 update, and the S.T.E.P. link is a great find.

You guys are awesome. Thanks. :thumbsup:

@hype83, probably one of the mods lol..

Hope you do not have somekind of broken quest preventing you from entering the Solitude area,

does the game freeze if you travel normally (not fast travel) to Solitude?

Does the game freeze if you load an earlier savegame and then try fast travelling to Solitude?

How big are your gamesaves (over 20mb?) there are somewhat known issues with the longevity of gameplay

(Bethesda is aware and fixing) including longterm gamesaves created across different patch versions.

If its a mod issue and you're determined to figure out which one, guess i'd start by disabling each mod individually and try to

recreate the freeze, start with mods that change/spawn stuff into skyrim or solitude's region like (i'm guessing):

Birds of Skyrim

Frostfall

More Village Animals

Pets of Skyrim

Populated Cities

Riverside lodge

Sexy Villages and Towns

SkyTEST - Realistic Animals and Predators

Might be easier to revisit each modders page and check for updates and the comments section

for reports of similar issues, especially given the impact of the recent 1.6 patch.

There used to be a known issue/fix for freezes (not ctd's) with sound config (set option from 48,000 to 44,500 bits).

Have you recently changed any INI or GPU game profile settings?

Have you reverified your game cache with Steam?

Another recommended option (for many reasons) is to disable autosave and

simply make a habit of saving manually whenever necessary.

I do not know if using 'quick save' may cause issues.

It's debatable whether or not autosaves are potentially problematic, everyone's experience is different; but,

there are confirmed reports of bloat/corruption and script/location loading freezes/ctd's.

Edited by xlcr

Thanks again for your help :)

My savegame is currently 11.3 mb big, that should be OK, I believe.

I disabled autosave and it didn't freeze.

The problem is, that the freezes are very very random and hard to reproduce.

The only reproducable one that I had, was the one in Windhelm, which I don't seem to have anymore.

I'll try the sound config option, before starting the mod uninstall/install nightmare ;-)

Edited by hype83

• 2 weeks later...