Unresponsive dialogue on custom companion

Hi all, hopefully someone out there can help me puzzle this out.

I have a companion mod nearing alpha release, but have encountered a persistent dialogue-related problem that is keeping it from being fully functional. My issue is that following the use of his combat or SM-triggered scene dialogue, I can no longer select any conversation options when talking with him. I've discovered a number of ways of coping with this problem, and I was hoping that by looking them over, someone out there can help me identify the issue.

This problem resolves itself if:

-The player changes cells. Leaving and coming back, or leaving with the companion tow, will both cause his dialogue options to become click-able again.

-The player saves and reloads their game (even if the save has been made since the problem occurred).

-The companion's SM event dialogue is interrupted by conversation. Again, even if the dialogue options were previously unavailable, interrupting his periodic banter restores them. I should note that under "Actor Behaviour" in the "Scenes" tab of the related quest, his actions are set to 'pause' (as opposed to 'end') when interrupted by conversation.

Other details that may be pertinent:

-The companion has 50+ lines of potential combat dialogue, and 100+ lines of potential banter (ie. SM-driven scenes, one or two lines of dialogue each).

-The SM-driven scenes are currently triggered by a quest script that waits for a random amount of time before executing 'SendStoryEvent', then ending and restarting the trigger quest.

-The bug only affects the companion in question. All other NPCs are unaffected.

I'm wondering if it's possible that the sheer number of dialogue options or some inefficiency in my scripted mechanics is stressing the Papyrus system beyond its ability to cope, but I don't know much about its limitations. Google and Nexus searches haven't turned up any references to this problem, so I'm really at a loss for the moment.

Solved!

Turns out that the problem was caused by a lack of "Hello" dialogue lines (in the Misc. tab in the Quest Window). Something about Hello lines seems to be critical to transitioning between combat/scene voice files and conversation window voice files. At least, that's the case for my mod - not sure if it's universally applicable or not.

Hope this helps someone down the road!

• 11 years later...